• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bike advice please

Jam_Man

Life President
Looking to get a new bike, as the one I have has rusted due to non use and non-careful storage and I would like a new one that I can ride once and then leave to rust in the back garden.

Anyone have any good recommendations ?

Doesnt need to be amazing as it wont get used for anything other than a few miles on the road. May be used on tracks occassionally but it doesnt need to be hardcore "off-road".

See that Halfords do a couple of full suspension mountain bikes for under £100. No doubt not great bikes at that price but I dont need anything flash, and the suspension sounds like it might make it a bit more comfortable?

Any other stores worth looking at ? Cycle UK seem to be above my budget.

Budget wise up to £200 but if I can pay under £150 I will be happier.

If you're mainly riding on the road then definitely avoid full suspension, I'd even recommend avoiding front suspension. You'll find it very spongy and you put energy into the springs rather than onto the road which is a bit pointless. I've got a front suspension bike and don't really ride it much for that exact reason. If you do get one with suspension make sure it's adjustable so you can firm it up, and disc brakes are a waste of time... just get normal v brakes.

I got my bike from my brother in law who got it and hated it (but it's worth £500) and gave it to me and bought a road bike. Now I've got it and hate it and want a road bike!

This looks reasonable:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/..._productId_762351_langId_-1_categoryId_165499

IIRC Mountian bikes have a similar size frame and wheels, which is not very big. If you are 5'9" + it might be a bit uncomfortable for road riding. I got one and it was horrible so I got a hybrid thing which my kids tell me is a bit gay but miles better for road riding. doesnt actually make a lot of difference to me as I didnt get it out the shed last year and it hasnt moved yet this year. Looks ok though.

Cheers chaps, appreciate the advice.

Im 5' 8"

Not going to be using it for anything particularly strenuous so cheaper will be ok, would prefer a more expensive bike but I really wont be using it enough to warrant spending more.

Get the best you can afford.

Once you start riding you will find yourself wanting to cycle more and more.

A cheap bike will start to squeak and creak before you know it.

Back