• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Technician

Billericay T 1 - 1 Southend U

McSweeney 75* Drrreeeewwweeee 5  [858 souls] *approx

Quite an entertaining match to be honest... Whilst Billericay were happy to just lump the ball forward, our lads soaked up any potential threat from their forwards pretty well. A lot of our play was balls to feet and the cross field distribution was pretty effective.

Drewe's goal was central to their goal and a deft lob from about 25yds with their keeper well off his line. The keeper could do no more than palm it into his own net... but it was Drewe's goal all the way!

The equalizer came with about 15 minutes to go and was neatly struck from inside the box by McSweeney in off the underside of Flahavan's crossbar. In all honesty, I wouldn't blame Darryl for it...

IMHO should we have won it? yes!, but open to debate really... certainly there were one or two clear cut chances that we could have put away.

Corbett had the best chance in the second half with a powerful drive from a narrow angle to the left of goal and across their GK which narrowly missed the post, but Billericay in the main defended very well, limiting our chances on goal.

Their best efforts came in the first half with a couple of long range dipping efforts going just over the crossbar, but neither keeper was particularly overworked, which was disappointing.

Bramble seems to be more effective than Gray from what I saw tonight, Drewe was outstanding until picking up a foot injury after 35 minutes, when he clashed with their GK, going off for Gray. The defence was good in the main with Edwards in particular collecting almost everything coming his way. Midfield distribution was mainly effective although some of our short passing is still a worry if you ask me!!!

All in all, our fitness level looks good and with a couple of friendlies remaining, I think we are looking OK.

MoM - The Referee... decisive decision making and kept control of proceedings throughout.

Bookings - None... Sent-Off - None

Since when has Macca been able to head a ball like that!? You could see he was playing out of his skin trying to prove a point.

A big plus point for me was the performance of Max Porter. I thought he slotted in superbly and he looks a very decent prospect. Price looked quite classy when he came on as well.

Drewe did well again as you said.

I've got a feeling that Gray will be Constantine MkII. He'll get goals but he disappears from games for some reason. As you said, once again Tes was far more involved in every department.

I'm not too downbeat with the result, as the pitch was terrible, and Billericay were an incredibly physical side and you couldn't blame the lads for pulling out of some of the challenges.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Andy_S @ July 26 2004,23:14)]Since when has Macca been able to head a ball like that!? You could see he was playing out of his skin trying to prove a point.

A big plus point for me was the performance of Max Porter. I thought he slotted in superbly and he looks a very decent prospect. Price looked quite classy when he came on as well.

Drewe did well again as you said.

I've got a feeling that Gray will be Constantine MkII. He'll get goals but he disappears from games for some reason. As you said, once again Tes was far more involved in every department.

I'm not too downbeat with the result, as the pitch was terrible, and Billericay were an incredibly physical side and you couldn't blame the lads for pulling out of some of the challenges.
Billericay an incredibly physical side ??

I don't think you see much non-league football.

They were giving away height and weight advantage at both ends of the field but worryingly looked just as fit as our lot. They were pushing forward and closing down right to the end. (But that's easy to do, when you only play 45 mins!)

Gray would have picked up at least a yellow, possibly red for a little stamp on McSweeney and Corbett had a very late lunge at a player after he crossed the ball. Barrett fouled a bit too. There were a few mistimed tackles from the hosts as well but ref, Ray Lee (I think that was his name rather than where he comes from!) did a decent job.

Drewe looked the pick of our forwards (more to worry about) until he injured himself fouling the goalkeeper.

Che Wilson is not a League footballer.

Maher pick of midfield which didn't look quite the same without him.

Bart did pretty much everything asked of him although he did let one cross creep along the edge of the 6 yard box to be headed over when it looked easier to score, oh and he did mark centre lines on the edge of the penalty and goal areas - a cautionable offence so best not to do that in League matches.

Daryl did everything but one thing that was asked of him and is actually better than Bart with the ball at his feet.

Reasonable game, good turnout, pleasant evening and I think Billericay might have a decent season!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Mick @ July 26 2004,23:35)]Che Wilson is not a League footballer.
Talking out of your backside, mate!

Che was excellent in midfield last night - give the guy a break for christ sake!

Couldn't agree more PoD - Che was excellent last night. It makes me wonder what games some of these idiots watch.

I too thought Che played well. Set up Drewe's goal if I remember rightly. The only other bright point was Drewe himself. He was a real handful and took his goal with aplomb.

Rather than mention key players,which can sometimes be difficult, I kept my report to how I saw the play. The New Lodge is quite a tidy ground, but I moved around quite a lot during the action and perhaps missed some individual performances such as Che's [who did look to be enjoying the game!]. I spent the first half by the half way line and saw a fair bit of the action, but my nephew who came with me, kept doing a disappearing act!
mad.gif

Second half, I was behind the Billericay goal, whereas I think in hindsight I should have stayed where I was!
rock.gif

I was not too disappointed with the result and the report sums it up... thankfully we won't be visiting too many grounds like this one, where the pitch was bobbly and the fans are very close to the bye-lines, which can restrict movement and commitment down the wings.

Personally I don't think Che has anything to prove against a Ryman's league team, however I still think he has a fair bit to prove at division 4.

I hope he can prove to be a valuable squad member and this by all accounts good performance against Billericay is not a case of finding his level.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hong Kong Blue @ July 27 2004,09:03)]Personally I don't think Che has anything to prove against a Ryman's league team, however I still think he has a fair bit to prove at division 4.

I hope he can prove to be a valuable squad member and this by all accounts good performance against Billericay is not a case of finding his level.
I don't think his performance against Billericay was down to their non-league status at all!

He proved his versatility by being dumped alongside "Elvis" and played extremely well.

As for the opposition, they played far better than some of the teams that we are likely to meet in League 2!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (east stand drummer boy @ July 27 2004,12:38)]dont start me new job till tomoz so there lol!! trev u going to our freindly on saturday?? any chance of a ride lol!!
Not looking too likely...
sad.gif

Other commitments.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (east stand drummer boy @ July 27 2004,12:49)]owell dont matter!! anyway talking of work wat u doing to da pcs whilst being on here hey?? LOL:p
Got the backs off of two machines now repairing/replacing hardware etc: [not that it's any of your business
tounge.gif
] Imaging software takes the longest, so SZ keeps me from getting bored [falling asleep etc].

Good luck getting to Grays
biggrin.gif

Back