• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
I had a phone call earlier this week from Billy Best and for all those misty eyed fans of a certain age Billy will be back at Roots Hall this weekend for our match against Northampton Town, just under 50 years since he joined us from the Cobblers back in January 1968.
Billy Best scored 123 league and cup goals in 246+1sub. appearances in a five year period between 1968 & 1973, this includes a club record 9 Hat-tricks. He is one of only two players too have scored 100 league goals
for the club second only to the late great Roy Hollis who scored 135 goals in 260 matches.
Who could ever forget those Friday night matches in the middle to late sixties with 10,000+ crowds, and the "PAK"(you had to get there early or you could not get behind the North Bank goal)in full voice, "E 4 B & Billy Best", "He's Here, He's There, He's every F...... where"(or we are not allowed to swear) to name just a few of those chants and for many fans,myself included that 1968-69 season(wearing those dark blue shirts that the F.A.banned)will always live long in the memory.
Were you a fan back in the late 60's and early 70's, what memories do you have of Billy Best's time at our club. Cup matches against, Kings Lynn, Brentwood Town, Swindon & Mansfield, Weymouth & Dagenham also Aston Villa & Chelsea, not forgetting that first ever promotion season of 1971-72.
Billy Best was and always will be to many supporters of a certain age "Simply the Best" or maybe that should be."Shrimply the Best".

:Worthy::Worthy::Worthy::Worthy: "THANKS FOR ALL THE MEMORIES WILLIAM JOHN BLAIKLEY BEST" :Worthy::Worthy::Worthy::Worthy:

Great memories of IMHO the finest player to pull on a blue shirt, they were fantastic days. I have come over all misty eyed again!! COYBB.

The greatest ever,
If i was fit enough(maybe next week start rehab), would LOVED to come over and see him again.
I know you wrote it before Nobbler,but how many hattricks and what games did he score them in?
Was it 9 ?
Still remember being at Peterbrough 3 Billy Best 4,,,,1970??

Will you be going into the Shrimpers for a drink with him??
Im sure LOADS of fans would love to see him again or HT on the pitch

The greatest ever,
If i was fit enough(maybe next week start rehab), would LOVED to come over and see him again.
I know you wrote it before Nobbler,but how many hattricks and what games did he score them in?
Was it 9 ?
Still remember being at Peterbrough 3 Billy Best 4,,,,1970??
NINE it was Ozzie.
1967-68. Chester Home 5-1, 1968-69. Exeter City Home 6-1, Kings Lynn Home 9-0, Brentwood Town 10-1(5),
Aldershot Home 4-2, 1969-70. Scunthorpe United Home 3-0, Peterborough United Away 4-3(4),
1971-72. Grimsby Town Home 3-1, Reading Away 4-1. Billy also scored 2 goals in a game on 15 occasions.

King Billy will get the biggest cheer of the afternoon, when he walks onto the pitch, and rightly so.
Testament of how he is respected on here, is the amount of fans who have his name in their login!.

Along side 'Sir' Gary Moore, the goals certainly flowed.

I was a young boy, under 11, and at porters grange School, I wrote to Gary Moore giving him my support as I had heard some nasty things shouted about him on too many Friday night games and I didn't like or agree with . He wrote a lovely letter back which I wish I had kept.
Other memories: It was cold on the South Bank.

It is a fact that not one of the present Southend United team will be remembered in 50 years , unlike King Billy Best .

It is a fact that not one of the present Southend United team will be remembered in 50 years , unlike King Billy Best .

That's not a fact. Unless you have a crystal ball!

I think I must have just caught the end of Best's playing career alongside Moore when I started coming to games - a truly great player.

He had style, charisma, and just an all-round great player. Brilliant finisher. He used to be man marked, but to no avail, as he would pull the defender all over the place, and leave gaps for others. Every game he seemed to find space in the penalty box. If they played deep, he could time his run to perfection with a lightning burst of speed, and be bearing down on goal with a one on one with the keeper. A nightmare for the goalie as he never seemed to miss. He would place it low with power left or right, but the one's he seemed to enjoy the most was when he used to chip them over the goalie as he rushed out. He really celebrated those with the North Bank.

How do u remember all that BB ?
Stan, I have been studying all things Billy Best for the last 49 years, whether it be Southend United/Northampton Town/Bedford Town or Corby Town. I have seen him play for all those clubs and it's a bit like a drug i.e."You can't beat a bit of Billy". Also most people that know me will tell you that my admiration for this man has never left me even after all these years(It's nearly 44 years since he last played for us). So I am looking forward to spending some quality time with him and his wife tomorrow.
For me personally "Billy Best the Legend will always live on".

NINE it was Ozzie.
1967-68. Chester Home 5-1, 1968-69. Exeter City Home 6-1, Kings Lynn Home 9-0, Brentwood Town 10-1(5),
Aldershot Home 4-2, 1969-70. Scunthorpe United Home 3-0, Peterborough United Away 4-3(4),
1971-72. Grimsby Town Home 3-1, Reading Away 4-1. Billy also scored 2 goals in a game on 15 occasions.

other than the Shots&Scuni home games(will check my old progs),i was at the other 7 games.
Knowing you,you were at least at 8 games ,if not all 9.
How many people saw Billys hattricks?

i agree,its over 40 years since King Billy,nobody has got near him...Stan.Colly!!! sorry his 4 games!!

Thanks BB ,u make me feel old ,I didn't realise it was all those years ago I was standing on the south bank !😂😂🇬🇧🏐

When he first signed I thought 'How can that little chap be the answer to our goalscoring problems?'

I soon found out.

Legend indeed.

Welcome back Billy.

Back