• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Please thank Billy from me. It was Aldershot away one of my first away games and Billy came out and gave me a complimentary ticket.
My all time favourite player. Those friday evening games were superb.
I believe i saw 8 of billy's hatricks missing the Chester match.

Would love to get my replica striped shirt signed by the king so I can have it framed.does anyone know where billy will be before or after the game

Would love to get my replica striped shirt signed by the king so I can have it framed.does anyone know where billy will be before or after the game
I believe Billy will be in the Blues Lounge?, you could also wait either before or after the match to get it signed. I'm sure he would be delighted to sign anything.

For such a short player Billy was brilliant in the air and often used to outjump six foot plus defenders. A club legend for sure.

I recall many of his goals were the result of fumbly goalies. Gloves didn't do a lot in those days.

I am one happy shrimper,got my 1970 shirt signed and a photo with king Billy Best at half time today ��

Do hope Nobbler lets us know what happened -talks with the king...BB and Nobbler= the Southend mafia:facepalm:

Do hope Nobbler lets us know what happened -talks with the king...BB and Nobbler= the Southend mafia:facepalm:

Yes, also wanting to know how he and Suffolk Shrimper blagged their way into the blues lounge!!! :winking:

When he first signed I thought 'How can that little chap be the answer to our goalscoring problems?'

I soon found out.

Legend indeed.

Welcome back Billy.

Billy Best must be one of the club's best ever signings. Ernie Shepherd signed him for a relatively small fee from Northampton and immediately had great hopes for him. Apparently, he was highly rated at Northampton during his first spell with the club, but Northampton were partial to playing him out on the wing! Shepherd saw the potential and signed him. The rest is history. Although I was extremely young at the time, I have vivid memories of his first brilliant hat-trick against Chester. Best had all attributes as a striker. He had great acceleration, tremendous courage, hunger and terrier-like tenacity, wonderful heading ability, and favoured his left-foot but could finish clinically with either foot. He had the misfortune however to play for Southend at a time when the club had a weak defence. Shepherd just could not sort out the defence and that held back both the team and probably Best's career. Sheffield United did make an offer for him in 1968 but it was considered pretty derisory. I think Best's all-action style was quick similar to that of Kevin Keegan. The big difference however that Liverpool took a punt on Keegan when he was Scunthorpe, and Best did not get that chance whilst at Southend. But I have to agree with others on this board. Billy Best was definitely one of the most outstanding players to put on a Southend shirt in the last 50 years or so.

As Ross(friends) would say it was the best day ever my grandson coming out with the worlds greatest football team and King Billy on the same pitch,would it have been to much to want Stanley there as well.:winking:

IMG-20170218-WA0000.jpg

I'm uploading this picture for voice of reason, as he was struggling a little with his phone :)

He can tell you how he blagged his way into the directors box...

Back