• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Memory Lane Billy Best

:Worthy::Happy:"HAPPY BIRTHDAY BILLY BEST 80 YEARS YOUNG" :Happy::Worthy::Worthy:
I am just one of the many old misty-eyed brigade on here and I was fortunate enough to witness every game played and every goal that Billy Best scored at our beloved Roots Hall Stadium way back between 1968 & 1973. In those truly wonderful 5 years+3months Billy found the net on no fewer than 85 occasions in just 125 matches scoring an average of 3 goals every 2 games which at any level of football is an incredible feat and as we draw closer to Billy's special birthday I would just like to say "Thank You" so much for all the wonderful memories you left us with from all those years ago when everything in life seemed to be so much simpler for everyone. But much more than that Billy, you being such a great friend to me for well over 55 years. So here's wishing you a lovely birthday with your family and as the years have gone by my love for you is more than you could ever know. ⚽ 💙 ⚽

Last edited:
In my youth, and after school and my evening paper round, certain Friday nights would be the most eagerly anticipated times of my life. This was especially so from 1968 when, at the age of 13, I first saw our new signing, one Billy Best from Northampton Town. That and the following seasons were the best (pun intended) footballing experiences of my life. Watching Billy, along with Gary Moore, Bill Garner, Terry Johnson, Micky Beesley, Tony Bentley, etc, etc, gave me the most wonderful memories that remain with me to this day. I've watched many talented footballers in my time and have been privileged to have seen live the likes of Charlton, Law, Osgood, Cooke, Hurst, Moore, Ronaldhino, Chivers etc as well as the more recent great players. I can honestly say that watching Billy Best though, and seeing him score seemingly at will, gave me the greatest pleasures of all. He is undoubtedly my favourite player of any generation ever. I was lucky enough to have got his autograph at least twice (I think at Midweek League games when the first team would sometimes watch from the back of the East Stand), and these remain treasured possessions. Whilst no longer living in Essex, I still come back to Roots Hall and now bring my grandsons who, too, know the name of Billy. At the last game I went to one Mr Dave Brabbing met up with us and called Billy to say "hello" to me on the phone. I was 13 again and so very happy. So, Thank You Billy for those wonderful memories and I hope you have a wonderful birthday with many more to come. You gave me more footballing pleasure than you will ever know.

That fact that so many of us in a time when there were no cameras can still recall all these years later the magic moments you created show just how special your goalscoring talents were to the fans.
A true legend to a generation of fans who really never were rewarded with on field success .
Happy birthday Bill ,just wish we could relive it all againimg091.jpg

That fact that so many of us in a time when there were no cameras can still recall all these years later the magic moments you created show just how special your goalscoring talents were to the fans.
A true legend to a generation of fans who really never were rewarded with on field success .
Happy birthday Bill ,just wish we could relive it all againView attachment 28610
All the faces in a packed North Bank show the love that they had for King Billy .

This man ...View attachment 28617

This team ...View attachment 28618

Happy 80th birthday Billy Best ... King of Roots Hall. 🥰
Thank you so much for this post Bill, lovely to remember a special time from our youthful days?when this team and in particular this player was in the form of his life. Billy Best.The legend that time NEVER forgot ⚽🦐💙🦐⚽

Back