• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

EastStandBlue

Life President
Now that Bird Flu has reached Europe, the threat of a Pandemic is very real... And although its believed people are overestimating the death toll, such a pandemic would result in a ban on large gatherings of people... Such as football matches.

Anybody know what the likely occurance would be in such a situation? Would there be a complete suspension of Football or would the games be played behind closed doors, and people able to watch them using Internet feeds like Bluesworld or listen via Radio?

Obviously Col Ewe will be alright, notice the emphasis on Large gatherings of people... But now we're gathering pace as a football club our climb to the top of the Football could be halted
sad.gif

If an epidimic was to break out than ALL sports games would be cancelled. Including the World Cup! It has happaned before IIRC when an epidimic has broken out - possibily the spanish flu? Don't quote me on what epidimic it was though.

bird flu is one of those weird liitle things that newspapers invent to scare people. just like the millennium bug, bse and the French

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Slipperduke @ Jan. 09 2006,12:29)]bird flu is one of those weird liitle things that newspapers invent to scare people. just like the millennium bug, bse and the French
No it's not, there was a flu pandemic in 1919 and it killed millions. They drowned in the mucus in their own lungs. Mutation of a dangerous flu strain is a real danger

Alright! Whats the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic?
No I dont know the answer - but pandemic seems to be a new expression (to me anyway).

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FLAVIA @ Jan. 09 2006,16:26)]Alright! Whats the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic?
No I dont know the answer - but pandemic seems to be a new expression (to me anyway).
It's all in the prefix.

An epidemic starts in a particular area, snd spreads very quickly to other people within that area.

A pandemic is a disease/condition that spreads quickly but covers a much wider area.

Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Now another one (being new to this lark) bit out of touch with terminology!
Whats IIRC mean?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (C C Csiders @ Jan. 09 2006,16:47)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (FLAVIA @ Jan. 09 2006,16:26)]Alright! Whats the difference between an epidemic and a pandemic?
It's all in the prefix.

An epidemic starts in a particular area, snd spreads very quickly to other people within that area.

A pandemic is a disease/condition that spreads quickly but covers a much wider area.
You see, it's all in the Greek...

"Epi-" means upon or at

"Demos" means people

"Pan" means all

So, an "epidemic" is something that occurs upon a specific group of people; a "pandemic" is something that happens to "all people". Accordingly, the latter word is a lot more worrying...

ghostface.gif

Brilliant!
What a knowledgeable lot you are on here.
Anything I want to know I will ask on here first.
Thanks for info.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (dave cusaks nose @ Jan. 10 2006,10:06)]Matt
what does JCR mean?
Depends.

At Oxford & Cambridge Universities, it means "Junior Combination Room", a sort of lounge where undergraduate students can hang out. At most other universities, the C has a slightly different meaning: Junior Common Room.

It is an acronymn which is not known to have any other meanings...

tounge.gif

Does anyone else find it ironic that there has been an outbreak of bird flu in Turkey?

Will the Canary islands be next?

Back