• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bit of legal advice on wills needed

Just a quickie if there are any legal bods out there.

My Dad (in his late 70's) has just found out that his brother and his wife died a couple of months ago down in Devon.

For some reason none of my dads family were advised, even though his brother was in hospital for 3 weeks before passing away.

We found out yesterday that they have both been cremated and that an inquest has been opened and adjourned. We also got the phone number of the executor of the wills although he has been extremely unhelpful on the phone and didn't seem particularly bothered that we hadn't been informed of the deaths.

Does anyone know if we have any legal right to see a copy of the wills? The executor is a nephew of my aunt who died about 3 weeks before my uncle.

Tried phoning citizens advice but can't get anyone to answer (wonder if they share a line with the club shop)!

Any help would be appreciated either on here or by PM

Someone on here deals with wills - Cricko should be able to point you in the right direction.

I may be wrong but I don't think you have a right to see the will.

The way it worked for me was that I received a cheque and a letter saying cashing it would complete the responsibilities of the executor. No breakdown of assets or anything.

See Zone Sponsor Frederick W Goodson - fbm on here. I'm sure he'll be able to help.

Just a quickie if there are any legal bods out there.

My Dad (in his late 70's) has just found out that his brother and his wife died a couple of months ago down in Devon.

For some reason none of my dads family were advised, even though his brother was in hospital for 3 weeks before passing away.

We found out yesterday that they have both been cremated and that an inquest has been opened and adjourned. We also got the phone number of the executor of the wills although he has been extremely unhelpful on the phone and didn't seem particularly bothered that we hadn't been informed of the deaths.

Does anyone know if we have any legal right to see a copy of the wills? The executor is a nephew of my aunt who died about 3 weeks before my uncle.

Tried phoning citizens advice but can't get anyone to answer (wonder if they share a line with the club shop)!

Any help would be appreciated either on here or by PM

When you visit the undertaker to sort out the funeral there is a box that states something like 'Have all relevant parties been informed of the funeral details' this applies especially if its a cremation. Whoever sorting out the funeral details would have been advised that if you tick 'no' then there is a chance the cremation could legally be stopped (too late now in this instance). If they ticked yes and didn't tell you then I'm not sure what if any action you can take.

As your uncle was in hospital for more than 24 hours before he died I would have thought any inquest would have been a formality without any intervention from a coroner.

I'm an executor of a will and we have not informed some family members not named in the will, about the details of the Will. Mind you it's not a massive Will and it wont go to probate. Although we did advise all parties about the funeral. I don't think the executor will always be the person sorting out the funerals. Someone must have been listed as next of kin maybe it was the nephew?

Last edited:
Back