• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Blackpool FC 2 - 2 Southend United

Just stopped for some tea on the way home. Really unlucky there. The subs and formation all made sense and we were doing a decent job shutting them out. Rough way to end but a decent performance and well earned point. The cox miss was frustrating though.

We ended 541 with Demi and Hart wide midfield and Bunn up front.

Shout out to the defence who all did a good job, along with Hyam and Mantom in midfield.

Looking forward to seeing turners goal again

I agree that changes should be made proactively. I highlighted that in the match thread with @Cricko but we're not a confident enough side to switch the game plan so freely. How often does going defensive actually work for us, especially this season?

It's rare for me to criticise, but this is a turning point in my season.
We were defensive for the whole game. It wasn’t a switch in approach really.

We conceded with 7 defenders on the pitch. I wouldn’t call that shutting up shop well
Results-oriented thinking is flawed though. You're basing your view on the unlucky outcome rather than the process. The process led to the fact that Blackpool didn't create a single chance in our box after the changes. 90% of the time - if not more often - conceding zero chances in our box will result in us not conceding an equaliser.

A TAYLOR Moore own goal six minutes into stoppage time saw Southend United held to a 2-2 draw at Blackpool this afternoon.

More...

Just stopped for some tea on the way home. Really unlucky there. The subs and formation all made sense and we were doing a decent job shutting them out. Rough way to end but a decent performance and well earned point. The cox miss was frustrating though.

Shout out to the defence who all did a good job, along with Hyam and Mantom in midfield.

A post match post by some one who has actually been to the game....A rare treat these days

Scant conciliation, but one positive to take from this, is we’ve gained a point away, against a team who are still in with a shout for the play-offs, in what was always going to be a difficult environment/atmosphere.

We can (and inevitably will) complain about formations, substitutions etc etc, but the truth is we’ve just got unlucky today. If Cox finishes his chance at the end, we’re all happy, and feeling positive going into the remaining fixtures. That’s the margins we’re talking about.

As I said in the other thread, it’s a point we would have welcomed before the start of today. However it still feels like a loss atm.

That's far from the only positive we can take from it.

The return of Lennon, Kiernan, Hyam and Demetriou is huge. I expect we won't see some of them Tuesday but this is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Balanced report from someone there and mercifully free of outrage and hindsight... thanks

That's far from the only positive we can take from it.

The return of Lennon, Kiernan, Hyam and Demetriou is huge. I expect we won't see some of them Tuesday but this is the light at the end of the tunnel.

Yeah totally agree.

In the aftermath of a result like that, with the inevitable wave of Powell out talk, I just couldn’t be bothered to compile a list of positives, so chose what I thought would be the one that hit home, the best.

Just seen the goals. So unlucky. What a joke. Hard fought battle and just conceded a lucky OG. Onto the next. So pleased for the returning players.

We conceded with 7 defenders on the pitch. I wouldn’t call that shutting up shop well

A lucky own goal to take it to 2-2 and a one on one at the other end for us to make it 3-1 before that. I think you’ve got to actually look at what happened instead of just saying things to fit your view.

A lucky own goal to take it to 2-2 and a one on one at the other end for us to make it 3-1 before that. I think you’ve got to actually look at what happened instead of just saying things to fit your view.

Okay I’ll look at what happened and despite a share of the spoils we’re now a point closer to the relegation zone than we were before kick off. Is that better?

Yeah totally agree.

In the aftermath of a result like that, with the inevitable wave of Powell out talk, I just couldn’t be bothered to compile a list of positives, so chose what I thought would be the one that hit home, the best.

One big positive, we have only lost 2 games from the last 6.

Okay I’ll look at what happened and despite a share of the spoils we’re now a point closer to the relegation zone than we were before kick off. Is that better?

Nice one - much better to look at the facts.

Devastated to not come away with 3 points - it’s just very frustrating to read constant criticism about things that are based on made up opinion. You can criticise whatever you want - obviously. But to say we’ve conceded with 7 players on the pitch is a sign we didn’t shut up shop well is just mental. When you see the goal it whacks Moore on the nut and goes in.

Another way to look at it is we are a point nearer safety.

We played well in a game that not many teams would have fancied due to the timing.

The two returning boys at the back lasted the full 90 and Demi got some game time.

The only thing that will relegate us is leaking goals and with those 3 back it won’t be happening.....Fact

And though I'm not too keen on the excuse that the ref made all the difference etc, today, and particularly in the second half, he certainly seemed to favour the home team. Our boys were going down and got nothing, but similar tackles on them got the ref's whistle. I think our only free kick in the second half occured in injury time. That said, before the match, I would have taken a draw and was gutted that we had to walk out with just the one point.

Alright, I've calmed down a little bit, and feel like I'm nearly able to discuss without excessive sarcasm [sorry to @Pubey].

There were some positives to take from the game, Hyam, Lennon and Kiernan of all people playing 90 minutes. We scored two goals from set pieces which compared to last season is something we seem to have forgotten and from someone other than Cox. I'm all out... There's still ten games to go, the next two need to be wins.

Last edited:
Having made it back to the in laws in Blackburn I’d echo what pubey said.

We played fairly well and the draw was probably a fair result but to concede like that at the end was a bit of a sickener.

A brief mention for the ref, who made some baffling decisions at times

At least I can spend the evening winding up the father in law after rovers lost to local rivals Preston

Powell In. He made some brace decisions today and almost paid off.
Really happy for the lads returning. We are going to be a lot stronger with them back.
Tough to take but at least we took a point. Hopefully we can build on it. UTB

Back