• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Blackpool FC 2 - 2 Southend United

I know you are anti manager but it did work. You cant win anything in football if you cant defend. The reason we were promoted is because we were hard to beat. Just because you have to defend, especially in the last 10 doesn't mean you have deliberately sat back. As often claimed on here.

Even Barcelona at the height of their pomp, had the best defence. The best 3 defences in our league are Luton Barnsley and Sunderland. They just happen to be the top 3.

CP has lost his first choice back 5 this season. Yes that includes Oxley, I love Bishops attitude but Oxley is still ahead of him and would have been slated for some of those near post goals. With Demetriou about to return we can deal with the defensive elephant in the room....Elvis.

We wont be seeing Coker but at least now have the options of Lennon and Kiernan, so we will be much stronger for the last 10 games.

As for 2 up front etc. Its quite clear if CP had not lost Hopper and then Humphry we would have always had 2 up top. With Cox on 15, Hopper had already equalled his previous season with Scunny and SH was taken out scoring his 4th.....that means if CP had the fire power upfront and some muscle at the back we would be easily top 10.

Spot on with all points (except Oxley - Bishop will learn from his mistakes and be a far better keeper).

The problem is we can’t defend and hence the issue.

I know you are anti manager but it did work. You cant win anything in football if you cant defend. The reason we were promoted is because we were hard to beat. Just because you have to defend, especially in the last 10 doesn't mean you have deliberately sat back. As often claimed on here.

Even Barcelona at the height of their pomp, had the best defence. The best 3 defences in our league are Luton Barnsley and Sunderland. They just happen to be the top 3.

CP has lost his first choice back 5 this season. Yes that includes Oxley, I love Bishops attitude but Oxley is still ahead of him and would have been slated for some of those near post goals. With Demetriou about to return we can deal with the defensive elephant in the room....Elvis.

We wont be seeing Coker but at least now have the options of Lennon and Kiernan, so we will be much stronger for the last 10 games.

As for 2 up front etc. Its quite clear if CP had not lost Hopper and then Humphry we would have always had 2 up top. With Cox on 15, Hopper had already equalled his previous season with Scunny and SH was taken out scoring his 4th.....that means if CP had the fire power upfront and some muscle at the back we would be easily top 10.

By the way.

Your ridiculous assertion that I am anti manager is a typical nonsense that is of course totally incorrect.

Football management is a tough job and that’s why some managers become so afraid and their tactics reflect this.

Re the three I mentioned:

PS did a superb job under really difficult circumstances and I salute him, Had to go in the end but it should have been after Wembley not before.

PB did a good job up until the end when he had to go too. My antipathy towards Brown was due to his desire to manage any team other than us and his appalling treatment of a club legend (and a few others).

SCP - still a hero at the moment but stick this defensive stuff where the sun doesn’t shine.

OK?

H
Over my years of watching the Blues I base my opinion on what I witness on the pitch not based on an assumption of what the result should be based on our league position and that of our opposition.

The starting XI was a risk based on the game time that 3 of the players had played. However, give credit where credit is due it was paying off. I had some question marks over the bench and how they would be used if needed. My concerns were proved right.

Tell me what you think Powell achieved yesterday based on the performance and the 90 + minutes. I was very happy with the way we were playing up until the substitutions and how these changed our formation. Was you happy with everything just because we got a point that playing against a team in that position and with the circumstances involving the game we wouldn't have expected?
how about it wasn’t what Powell did but what Blackpool did

Surely that can't be right? There are those on here that say Mantom is useless and needs to go and they know so much more than footy pundits working for national media outlets, don't they?

He almost certainly got in on the basis of us scoring from two of his corners rather than his overall performance (which could have been good, bad or somewhere in between).

Nobody watches all 12 L1 matches and determines who was best.

I still rate Mantom but I wouldn't be using this as evidence to back it up.

Manton being useless has never been the argument. Now Mantom being captain, that's a different matter.

By the way.

Your ridiculous assertion that I am anti manager is a typical nonsense that is of course totally incorrect.

Football management is a tough job and that’s why some managers become so afraid and their tactics reflect this.

Re the three I mentioned:

PS did a superb job under really difficult circumstances and I salute him, Had to go in the end but it should have been after Wembley not before.

PB did a good job up until the end when he had to go too. My antipathy towards Brown was due to his desire to manage any team other than us and his appalling treatment of a club legend (and a few others).

SCP - still a hero at the moment but stick this defensive stuff where the sun doesn’t shine.

OK?

That was just a zone myth because he spoke proudly about his days at Bolton. He actually turned down offers from Sunderland and Forrest to stay with us.

You even managed to slip his name in about a week ago with some totally false comments about losing at Rochdale a few years ago.

I was at that game and we attacked right from the start and had several chances before the scored from a free kick with their first attack......Given away needlessly by Adam Barrett of all people......Wordsworth was lazy at the far post and allowed his man to stroll past him for a free header...….Nothing to do with tactics or formations just lazy defending......I'm sure you have seen quite a bit of that lately.

Yes we know you hate PB but he has long gone so try not to heap his faults onto CP.

That was just a zone myth because he spoke proudly about his days at Bolton. He actually turned down offers from Sunderland and Forrest to stay with us.

You even managed to slip his name in about a week ago with some totally false comments about losing at Rochdale a few years ago.

I was at that game and we attacked right from the start and had several chances before the scored from a free kick with their first attack......Given away needlessly by Adam Barrett of all people......Wordsworth was lazy at the far post and allowed his man to stroll past him for a free header...….Nothing to do with tactics or formations just lazy defending......I'm sure you have seen quite a bit of that lately.

Yes we know you hate PB but he has long gone so try not to heap his faults onto CP.

I appreciate your stunning ability to speak with apparent authority whist spouting **** but it doesn’t work with me.

Most of that post is more utter nonsense.

Turned down offers to be manager of those clubs?

Not what I’ve heard.

I certainley don’t hate Brown - I’m just sad that he constantly belittled my club whilst he was privileged to be our manager.

Nothing false about the comments I made about the Rochdale game. We hardly attacked during the entire match. The free kick you cite was given against Barrett but certainly not given away needlessly - not sure it should even have been a free kick.

Typically, at the time you posted an utterly inaccurate and insulting post about me and made no apology.

Try sticking to the facts - you never know - it might grow on you.

By the way, what’s your take on how he treated Adam? All for it are you?

Surely that can't be right? There are those on here that say Mantom is useless and needs to go and they know so much more than footy pundits working for national media outlets, don't they?

Mantom had a good game on Saturday and was constantly biting at their midfield. We missed that badly after his substitution.

SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell felt Harry Lennon showed exactly what the Shrimpers had been missing on his return to action at Blackpool.

More...

I don't remember any of this negative Powell stuff when we were flying at the end of last season and getting at some of the top teams in the league, with a full squad.

It's almost as if having a third of a squad out for a whole season affects things like the fitness of other players from having to play games before they're ready or three games in a week when they're older and need managing, or the changes we have been able to make from the bench, or formation and tactics to accommodate the best players we have available.

Also teams trailing by one goal with ten minutes to go will throw extra men forward as they have nothing to lose. You have a choice to go with those men or not. Most teams will go with the men and most of the time, they'll keep out the onslaught. Sometimes they won't, that is why you see so many goals scored in the last minute. Saturday, we were four seconds away from keeping them out. And with three minutes to go, we almost caught them on the break and made the game safe.

Sadly, when you don't have the options on the bench it's tricky to do what you'd want to do in an ideal world. Kelman needed to come off - 70 minutes for a 17-year-old with 53 previous minutes under his belt is plenty and you could tell he was blowing. Bunn for Cox was like-for-like. I daresay if we'd had a striker who could hold the ball up on the bench, he would have come on rather than Bunn but we are where we are.

I don't think anyone is suggesting Powell has not made mistakes. But the fundamental reason we are having the season we are having is that the injuries have killed us. They affect everything, from game preparation, to disruption when we have to take someone off in the first half and change the game plan, to the fitness of the remaining players, to the subs we've been able to make to influence games.

There's some polar views on here, but as usual, the reality is probably somewhere in the middle. Has Powell done a bad job? No. Has he done a great job? No. But does last season and the mitigating factors of this one mean we should give him the benefit of the doubt? I believe so, no matter what happens from now until May.

I appreciate your stunning ability to speak with apparent authority whist spouting **** but it doesn’t work with me.

Most of that post is more utter nonsense.

Turned down offers to be manager of those clubs?

Not what I’ve heard.

I certainley don’t hate Brown - I’m just sad that he constantly belittled my club whilst he was privileged to be our manager.

Nothing false about the comments I made about the Rochdale game. We hardly attacked during the entire match. The free kick you cite was given against Barrett but certainly not given away needlessly - not sure it should even have been a free kick.

Typically, at the time you posted an utterly inaccurate and insulting post about me and made no apology.

Try sticking to the facts - you never know - it might grow on you.

By the way, what’s your take on how he treated Adam? All for it are you?

If you want facts PB was offered the number 2 slot at Sunderland under Allardyce. Of course you know this and you know its was never the managers job.

As for Rochadale away we pushed two wingers, McL and McG up the pitch very high up the pitch. Sadly they both had a shocker, even running the ball out of play etc. Mooney turned into Bambi on ice, was laughed at by the home crowd and rightly subbed and never hardly played again. Add the fact that Wordsworth couldn't take a decent set piece and wasted a few long before they scored, from 2 set pieces. Thats why attacking doesn't always mean you win. Your far more likely to win if you play well, regardless of which 11 are on the pitch or were they stood before the ref blew his whistle.

You have been around long enough to know this so why you claim things like tonights game is a must win and want to slag Powell for not getting all the points at Blackpool I find bizarre.

We have already past last seasons total of away points but home form and our tactics are worth constructive criticism.....But lets leave that for another thread on another day.

Last edited:
SOUTHEND United manager Chris Powell felt midfielder Luke Hyam was hit by a ‘disgraceful challenge’ from Blackpool’s Jay Spearing at the weekend.

More...

Back