• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Norfolkshrimp

First XI
So will RM ever accept any responsibility for the demise of our club over recent years ?

So far he's publicly blamed the following people;

The Banks
HMRC
Paul Brush
Steve Tilson
Adam Barrett

In addition GK made negative remarks about Alex Revell

Can anyone point me in the direction of an interview or quote from RM admitting his numerous mistakes in the running of the club ?

Everyone makes mistakes in life but nobody ever resolves anything and moves forward without facing up to and recognising their errors.

What about the Pizza Man, the Government (or whoever called the plans in) and the credit crunch

oh and the cleaner :blush:

As the late one says above, and it may not be a popular theory with those who would burn RM at the nearest stake, the fact is without a totally unforeseen world-wide economic crash we would almost certainly already be playing in our new stadium and Ron would be the messiah.

The bloke was left up the creak without a paddle by the banking crisis. Thats it. Stick pins in him all you want but it won't change the fact. Of course he's made mistakes but he's also kept us afloat somehow when it would have been easier to walk away. I don't love him or hate him, he's a businessman who's tried to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse & come unstuck by circumstances beyond his control.

I'm off to put my suit of armour on..

As the late one says above, and it may not be a popular theory with those who would burn RM at the nearest stake, the fact is without a totally unforeseen world-wide economic crash we would almost certainly already be playing in our new stadium and Ron would be the messiah.

The bloke was left up the creak without a paddle by the banking crisis. Thats it. Stick pins in him all you want but it won't change the fact. Of course he's made mistakes but he's also kept us afloat somehow when it would have been easier to walk away. I don't love him or hate him, he's a businessman who's tried to turn a pigs ear into a silk purse & come unstuck by circumstances beyond his control.

Disagree, I think he would have failed to raise the finance via conventional methods even in a perfect economy. His companies just don't stack up on paper, it's a very complex web and assets are almost non existent. Good solid companies have continued to do well during the recession picking up business from the weak. I also firmly believe in business, barring a natural disaster like the Icelandic volcano and similar you make your own luck, circumstances are very often what you make them but respect your view.

So will RM ever accept any responsibility for the demise of our club over recent years ?

So far he's publicly blamed the following people;

The Banks
HMRC
Paul Brush
Steve Tilson
Adam Barrett

In addition GK made negative remarks about Alex Revell

Can anyone point me in the direction of an interview or quote from RM admitting his numerous mistakes in the running of the club ?

Everyone makes mistakes in life but nobody ever resolves anything and moves forward without facing up to and recognising their errors.

When you say demise of club you mean do we blame him for us being skint?

Bottom line is all these problems stem from one simple fact, Ron Martin ran out of money and the financial crisis stopped him in his tracks.

His subsequent methods of steering the club through the icebergs (mainly by driving straight into the icebergs) and the way he has acted throughout has killed his reputation and any chance of him being here long term.

Nobody will be sorry to see him move on but in the meantime we are stuck together and Im not sure what the point of remaining in constant anger over something when there is no alternative other than Ron having more money.

As the late one says above, and it may not be a popular theory with those who would burn RM at the nearest stake, the fact is without a totally unforeseen world-wide economic crash we would almost certainly already be playing in our new stadium and Ron would be the messiah and considerably richer.

Edited for accuracy..............but essentially, I think that you have summed it up nicely in two paragraphs.

The bloke was left up the creak without a paddle by the banking crisis. Thats it.

Was he the only chairman, and we, the only football club to suffer from the banking crisis then?

Chester, Pompey, Cardiff, Plymouuth aside*, I can't think of many of the other 92 football league clubs to endure the same as us?

*Even then, their problems weren't due to the banking crisis, it was to do with the way they were being run

The downturn in the economy destroyed RM's ability to subsidise the Club and plug our cashflow deficit.

Chester, Pompey Cardiff, Plymouth and many others (Sheffield Wednesday, Southampton, Crystal Palace, dozens of others over the past decade) their problems were all down to not generating enough cash to cover their outgoings but (crucially) having owners who were unable to bring in cash from elsewhere in the short term to meet their obligations. They then use their tax money as working capital to pay wages, bills, etc.

Was he the only chairman, and we, the only football club to suffer from the banking crisis then?

Chester, Pompey, Cardiff, Plymouuth aside*, I can't think of many of the other 92 football league clubs to endure the same as us?

*Even then, their problems weren't due to the banking crisis, it was to do with the way they were being run

Southend, Leeds, Luton, Leicester, Southampton, Charlton, Plymouth, Sheffield Wednesday.....

And a bonus point for what links all those clubs I mentioned.....

I think herein lies the problem - equating a new stadium with RM being a messiah.

The one thing people seem to say in favour of Martin is that we are promised a new stadium, without actually thinking about whether what is being promised is a good thing - a new collection of seats devoid of history that has dragged the club to the verge of oblivion to get.

Whether malicious or accidental, RM has ruined this club and for that I will never forgive him.

And before anyone asks what Im going to do about it...the answer is **** all because there's nothing I can do, but doesn't mean i have to agree with it.

The downturn in the economy destroyed RM's ability to subsidise the Club and plug our cashflow deficit.

Fair do's, but how? I doubt he was the only Chairman propping up his club/company. I dare say many chairmen went through the same thing he did, yet don't seem to have been through the same problems over the last 2-3 years as us? Are we just really really unlucky,

[/QUOTE]

all relegated from the championship?

Spot on.

Relegation from the championship has screwed pretty much every club.

The only ones who seem to have got away with it are Scunthorpe who finished 6th the next season (sound familiar?) but won the play-offs. Other than that there are a few with rich owners who've taken the hit (Cowling at Col Ewe and McAnthony at Peterborough, but even they were suffering last I heard) for the club.

At least we haven't gone into administration.....yet unlike it appears Plymouth are today. I note Peter Ridsdale is involved again albeit only recently, now that man has a really bad track record.

Back