• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues end Clapham interest!

I think Tilly's been reading the Colin Murphy book of excuses again. Clapham too short??? Since when has the height of your full backs been an issue???

Even when we had a back four of Mulgrew, Clarke, Barrett and Francis we still couldn't defend a free kick, so the height thing is just a very poor excuse, covering the real reasons.

- G

I think Tilly's been reading the Colin Murphy book of excuses again. Clapham too short??? Since when has the height of your full backs been an issue???

Even when we had a back four of Mulgrew, Clarke, Barrett and Francis we still couldn't defend a free kick, so the height thing is just a very poor excuse, covering the real reasons.

- G

I agree - Mulgrew was tall but was pretty poor defending a high ball.

Daniel Jones > Powell > Clapham.

Jones can easily make the move to left wing also.. He's what we need.

not what we are looking for....according to Mr Tilson, so why waste his time and ours getting him here on trial. Its not as though he was some Hungarian that no-one had heard of, so if there is another, true reason, please, Tilson, dont treat us like idiots, tell us the truth.

Is it better to come out and say something because the fans are moaning about the decision or to sit back and say nothing? I don't buy the height thing personally, so if they're not going to give us the truth then I'd rather hear nothing.

I know he cant win whichever way he goes, but there has been a precidence set, open honest communication with Uncle Ron talking to the fans which this season doesnt seem to be there. personally, I'd rather have it warts and all, tell the truth boys, what you got to fear?

I think that being useful in the air is a handy attribute for a left back looking to fit into our current lineup. I say that not only because Barrett isn't the greatest in that department but also because if we're looking at a system which places greater emphasis on our fullbacks getting forward, then that also serves to create situations where the rest of the defence has to slide across to cover and it's a huge bonus if the opposite fullback is comfortable tucking into a more central position.

That's one of Francis' greatest attributes for me - not only is he a capable wide player going forward, but he's strong in the air and capable of defending at the far post.

Jones would be my first choice too but I'd be astonished if Wolves made him available, even on loan.
You reckon? Last season he was out on loan with Northampton and he needs to get first team football.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Jones is likely to be challenging for a first-team spot at Wolves this season. He's rated much higher there than Mulgrew ever was.

If Jones is genuinely available for a loan deal, Tilly will be in there like a shot, trust me. In fact, I believe Jones was actually our first choice as a replacement for Hammell but he opted to go to Northampton instead so we got Mulgrew.

I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that Jones is likely to be challenging for a first-team spot at Wolves this season. He's rated much higher there than Mulgrew ever was.

If Jones is genuinely available for a loan deal, Tilly will be in there like a shot, trust me. In fact, I believe Jones was actually our first choice as a replacement for Hammell but he opted to go to Northampton instead so we got Mulgrew.

Yeah i read that article too. It was just Jones hoping he could get involved in the first team nothing said by McCarthy so its still possible he's not a feature in his plans.

Get him in!

Is it better to come out and say something because the fans are moaning about the decision or to sit back and say nothing?
Exactly, SUFC get moaned about if they don't make a statement - and get moaned at if they do. They really can't win. I can't think of another time this board has been so depressing to read with so much doom & gloom. I find it quite funny there's a few people moaning that we concede from set pieces all the time and should get in taller defenders, and then when we reject a short a*se full-back they are quick to jump on Tilly for not signing him! If we had signed him and then he had lost out to a header in the 92nd minute in a 2-1 defeat against Peterborough, there would be moaning that we hadn't signed a taller left-back :doh:

I understand it's a bit hot in the UK - and I think the heat might be getting to people.

Back