• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues worst XI

palexander

Life President
The Southend best XI is pretty much a gimme, bar one or two positions...

The worst XI would be more subjective! I'll start then - from my 18 years watching the blues, my worst XI is...

GK Mark Prudhoe
RB Tony Barness
LB Christian Hyslop
CB George Parris
CB Tom Jordan
RM Martin Hayes
CM Ian Selley
CM Gavin Strachan
LM Scott Ashenden
CF Joe Allon
CF Francisco Cagigao

Hmmm... that is pretty bad, but I dont know if its the worst! Not surprised to see most of the team made up of players from the last 5-6 years!

My worst XI lines up as follows:

Prudhoe

Poole      Morley      Jordan    Wardley

Connelly  Thurgood  Alderton  Livett

Campbell   G. Jones

Bloomin' 'eck, there's a side destined for the Premier - the Ryman Premier - if ever I saw one...

ghostface.gif

How could yo leave out the one and only Richard Young? I saw him put a ball wide from 2 yards when dead in the centre of the goal. How he did that I still do not know.

Just goes to prove the mighty Dave Webb didn't get it right every time.

1. Prudhoe
2. Hone
3. Wardley
4. Thurgood
5. Richard Young
6. Dublin
7. Connelly
8. Gridelet
9. N Roache
10. Dave Regis
11. Campbell.

Subs

Roger {Harry} Willis.
David Morley
Hector Genkles.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Oct. 07 2004,11:21)]How could yo leave out the one and only Richard Young? I saw him put a ball wide from 2 yards when dead in the centre of the goal. How he did that I still do not know.

Just goes to prove the mighty Dave Webb didn't get it right every time.
I thought young was a Dick Bate signing

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpador @ Oct. 07 2004,12:26)]Nothing like a good positive thread before a Friday game!!
I think it is quite positive, because:

1. It reminds us how bad we've been in the past, and therefore how much better we are now.

2. There isn't a single member of the current squad who would even make the bench of my Worst XI... and I think that's very reassuring!

biggrin.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (steveh1510 @ Oct. 07 2004,11:28)]Flahavan

Jupp
Wilson
Prior
Barrett

Gower
Maher
Bentley
Pettefer

Gray
Bramble
Comedy genius!

tounge.gif

Tricky one.

The problem with players like Hone, Regis and Willis is that they were Div 1 players. I bet they would shine in the current squad!

I also saw some absolutely appalling players in the old Div 4 days.

So, my worst would be:

Graham Horn

Paul Roberts John Walker Warren May Andy Dixon

Simon Livett Phil Gridelet Marek Smidt Gordon Connelly

Richard Young John Gymer

Who is Hector Genkles by the way? I don't remember him

Its interesting to see some of the other XI's! I choose mine because they never did ONE single thing to win my favour... where as players like Dublin, Gridelet, Hone, Poole etc always tried - they might not have been very good at times, but they did do SOMETHING in their career... Dublin came up with the odd goal when pressed upfront (and used to roar when clearing headers!)...

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,12:29)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimpador @ Oct. 07 2004,12:26)]Nothing like a good positive thread before a Friday game!!
I think it is quite positive, because:

1. It reminds us how bad we've been in the past, and therefore how much better we are now.

2. There isn't a single member of the current squad who would even make the bench of my Worst XI... and I think that's very reassuring!

biggrin.gif
Fair point! If we think we've got goal scoring problems now, imagine if we had "Big" Nev Roach up front partnering Sada N'Diaye....What would we be saying then?!

biggrin.gif

I didn't think Gridelet was that bad. Certainly not in a worst ever XI.

Same with Dublin.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,12:29)]2. There isn't a single member of the current squad who would even make the bench of my Worst XI...
I did post this before the not entirely unpredictable comedy-turn from soup-boy...

*sigh*

tounge.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,11:37)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,12:29)]2. There isn't a single member of the current squad who would even make the bench of my Worst XI...
I did post this before the not entirely unpredictable comedy-turn from soup-boy...

*sigh*

tounge.gif
Blah blah blah blah blah.....

Back