• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Blues worst XI

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Birri @ Oct. 07 2004,17:26)]did Scott Ashenden ever get a first team game ? I remember playing against him @ seevic around 1989/1990 and he was so up him self being a yts untill I stuck him in row z and he didnt want to know after that.

Sergio was indeed a taffy and a bluebird to boot thats why swansea used to give him so much stick when we played them.
Scott made about 4 appearance's, and i'm sure they were partnering stan/angell, he's goalscoring record in the youths and reserves was pretty good, i just feel that breaking into a team that was in the 1st division at the time was just a step to much for him.

So maybe a bit harsh on him to be included.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (londonblue @ Oct. 07 2004,12:21)]How could yo leave out the one and only Richard Young? I saw him put a ball wide from 2 yards when dead in the centre of the goal. How he did that I still do not know.

Just goes to prove the mighty Dave Webb didn't get it right every time.
It was against Grimsby and David Crown had already drawn the keeper out of position before rolling it to Young with an empty net in front of him. Let me assure you that he was a LOT closer than 2 yards out - not even 2 FEET!

I'm not going to pick an entire team as we've had this kind of thread before. But the worst Southend players I've ever seen were:-

Chris Ramsey
Richard Young
Warren May
Sada N'Diaye
Tony Beanland

How on earth can Keith Dublin even be considered? We were 2 divisions higher and he generally did ok, if a little slow on the turn.

Ray White, played 10 let in 20 goals.
Jon O'Brien, played 11 let in 27 goals.

Other 'great' players -
Steve Wiggins
Jimmy Tibbs
Mike Angus
Danny Schneider
Glen Skivington

Ever heard of these they have all played for us!
John Piekalnietis
Herman Conway
Johnny Demellweek

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]2. Henry

Thats not Ronnie Henry who joined us on loan from Spurs just after Stephen Kelly left is it?

Also, I thought Ian Selley looked class the last time we had him on loan, a strange decision to have him in the worst SUFC XI ever.

I can't manage a full side but players I'd include would be:

Dominic Foley - Loan signing from Watford
Daniel Marney - Loan signing from Brighton
Tony Richards - Bar that double Vs Halifax, to think I was raving bout him afterwards.
Danny Kerrigan - Always looked uncomfortable on the ball.
Leon Johnson - Utility man that couldn't actually play in a single position.
Graeme Jones - Our 20 goal a season man.
Rio Alderton - Undoubtably the worst player to wear a SUFC shirt.
Jason Harris - Missed an absolute sitter away from home Vs ? Sumed him up perfectly.
David McSweeney - What a sh*tter.
Tom Jordan - How did Newman decide to renew his one month contract I'll never know.

No doubt some more will come to me later.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Dominic Foley - Loan signing from Watford
Daniel Marney - Loan signing from Brighton
Tony Richards - Bar that double Vs Halifax, to think I was raving bout him afterwards.
Danny Kerrigan - Always looked uncomfortable on the ball.
Leon Johnson - Utility man that couldn't actually play in a single position.
Graeme Jones - Our 20 goal a season man.
Rio Alderton - Undoubtably the worst player to wear a SUFC shirt.
Jason Harris - Missed an absolute sitter away from home Vs ? Sumed him up perfectly.
David McSweeney - What a sh*tter.
Tom Jordan - How did Newman decide to renew his one month contract I'll never know.
Also, Barrington Belgrave and Daniel Webb.
More than a little harsh on McSweeny (although you'd need to qualify what being a "sh*tter" entails). Ā And Leon Johnson does appear to have developed into a dependable Championship utility man for Gillingham and he doesn't stand out in my mind as being particularly inept...

For those of you old enough to remember, I'd suggest considering Alan Foggon; I really get the hump when we pay good money for bad goods.

Not so much an XI but a list of names of players since our return to Division Three/'League Two' that make me cringe when I remember how pants they were.

Mark Prudhoe
Carl Emberson
Dave Morley
Gordon Connelly - I remember Dave Webbs 1st game back at Blackpool. Gordon played only the first half and was never to be seen again.
Marek Szmid
Tom Jordan - Instead of feet he appeared to have a 9-iron at the end each leg.
Simon Livett - If only we could change the rules of Soccer so that he could come on just to take set pieces.
Trevor Fitzpatrick
David Whyte
Barrington Belgrave
Jason Harris
Dean Holness - Made the transition from soap star to footballer. Was about as good a footballer as Tes Bramble would be an actor.
Rio Alderton - reckon Terry would have been a better signing.
Dominic Foley
Graham Jones
Neville Roach
Barry Conlon
Yemi Abiodun - had so much pace but so little else.
Mick Gooding - would have been a great signing in 1989 and not 1999.
Shane Wardley - Dave Webb billed him as the new Chris Powell. Don't recall Chris Powell ever being a ginger midget.
Danny Webb - and who said nepotism is dead.
Tony Richards - Barnet and Orient fans were laughing as one when they saw we'd paid Ā£25k for his "services"
Michael Black - A big disapointment after the hype. My only happy memory was the chant down at Exeter. "Who needs Stevie Flack when we've got Michael Black!"
Steve Jones - A real disapointment for his home town club.
Steven Clark - Managed about 3 good games in 3 seasons. Never really recovered from the confidence knock he got when the boo-boys initially got on top of him.
Tom McDonald - My only gripe against him is that instead of signing Bobby Zamora we signed this guy.

Who could ever forget Dean Holness? He was truly awful. How many times did he wear the SUFC shirt.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]More than a little harsh on McSweeny (although you'd need to qualify what being a "sh*tter" entails). And Leon Johnson does appear to have developed into a dependable Championship utility man for Gillingham and he doesn't stand out in my mind as being particularly inept...

Well McSweeney was a centre half who couldn't hit the ball and wasn't physical enough. Never looked comfortable on the ball and lacked any height. He has little pace and couldn't jump bless him, part from that the new Booby Moore. As for Leon Johnson, I was talking about whilst he was at SUFC not what he has done previously or since leaving SUFC.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Matt the Shrimp @ Oct. 07 2004,12:14)]Bloomin' 'eck, there's a side destined for the Premier - the Ryman Premier - if ever I saw one...

ghostface.gif
Genuis Matt!!

biggrin.gif

Please bear in mind I have only been following the Blues since about 2000 when reading my worst XI.

.....................Capleton
Szmid*.......McSweeney...Jordan....Wardley
S.Clark**.....Johnson....Hutchings....Kerrigan
................Jones........Webb

*I'm sure he played/was said that he could play at right back!
**Shame he turned out to be a bit pants through loss of confidence, I quite liked the look of him but he failed to deliver.

Back