• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

RHB

I'm a Gnu, how do you do!⭐⭐
Staff member
Seems Bolger is now back in training, and when fully fit will be pushing for a starting place in the back four. With maybe the exception of Thompson, all the others have already played well enough to be considered as starters. So Phil has what he would call a 'welcome headache'.

My guess is that Barratt and Rea will continue, but for how much longer, I wonder? I know we've done this debate before, but with nearly all of our CBs back to fitness it will be interesting to see what you all think.

Thoughts, opinions?

I was impressed with both Barrett and especially Rea on Saturday.

I'd stick with them two for the time being.

I was impressed with both Barrett and especially Rea on Saturday.

I'd stick with them two for the time being.

Agreed, as it stands they are the best two CB's we have although I expect Bolger to challenge in the coming weeks if performances dip.

I think Prosser is going to be pretty far down the pecking order imo now, think the other 4 are all better defenders. Shame really as he probably should have taken the move when it was available.

Sorry but I don't see prosser as a starter. Seeing as he clearly isn't able to go on the 'wrong side' (in Brown's view) we got Rea in and he hit the ground running (but wasn't tight for their goal on sat)

Also Thompson has been out for ages, I'd send him on a short loan to get some game while we have cover and options.

When the jpt or injuries come round it will be upto certain players to make the very most of any opportunities to force Phil browns hand.

I'd like to see more of luke O'Neil and I honestly think he may dislodge a capable John white come the end of the season.

As for the back four I have been very impressed with Rea since he signed on loan. Barrett always gives 100 % and loves the club. Bolger and Thompson are waiting behind with prosser 5th choice imho.

I'm also concerned about the work rate of of mclaughlin. Lost the ball Saturday and just walked back. I've seen Worrall run the whole length of the pitch to rectify his mistake.

When the jpt or injuries come round it will be upto certain players to make the very most of any opportunities to force Phil browns hand.

I'd like to see more of luke O'Neil and I honestly think he may dislodge a capable John white come the end of the season.

As for the back four I have been very impressed with Rea since he signed on loan. Barrett always gives 100 % and loves the club. Bolger and Thompson are waiting behind with prosser 5th choice imho.

I'm also concerned about the work rate of of mclaughlin. Lost the ball Saturday and just walked back. I've seen Worrall run the whole length of the pitch to rectify his mistake.

There were signs on Saturday that White's lack of pace over short yardage could be problematic, particularly against the better teams/players. That being said I can't claim that O'Neil is the better option right now without seeing him play at RB!

What do we think are possible pairings? I can see Rea/Bolger working as well as the Barrett/Bolger and Barrett/Rea we've been seeing as first choice in recent months.

We could probably have the 'Is Rea required to start by Brighton' discussion, but I'm not sure that anyone knows the bottom line(this is bollox, ignore please). I missed the game Saturday, but the reports on him have been very favourable from that game, and the Coventry game as well. At the moment Adam is doing the things that he does best, being a leader on the pitch, scoring goals and organising the defence. For the moment it has to be Barratt and Rea. The beauty of having good players in reserve is that the two in the driving seat need to be on their best form consistently. My guess is that an injury will bring about a change rather than loss of form.

Last edited:
We could probably have the 'Is Rea required to start by Brighton' discussion, but I'm not sure that anyone knows the bottom line. I missed the game Saturday, but the reports on him have been very favourable from that game, and the Coventry game as well. At the moment Adam is doing the things that he does best, being a leader on the pitch, scoring goals and organising the defence. For the moment it has to be Barratt and Rea. The beauty of having good players in reserve is that the two in the driving seat need to be on their best form consistently. My guess is that an injury will bring about a change rather than loss of form.

A fact, and my source is Phil Brown. He attended a Refs Assn meeting last season, I asked him in light of some rubbish posted on here about Coulthirst whether he'd ever sign a player on the basis that he to play (as Rangers had just done at the time). He said quite equivocally "no, you'd be mad to do that".

A fact, and my source is Phil Brown. He attended a Refs Assn meeting last season, I asked him in light of some rubbish posted on here about Coulthirst whether he'd ever sign a player on the basis that he to play (as Rangers had just done at the time). He said quite equivocally "no, you'd be mad to do that".

Indeed, to take a youngster on and be forced to play him would be suicide, you are taking a risk with them anyway.

We had people saying Woodrow had to start, then he was a sub so they changed it to had to play, then he didnt play and they scrabbled around for some other reason for these clauses.

Same happened with Coulthirst, who spent a big chunk of his time with us on the bench.

These teams want their players to play, thats the whole point of a loan, and they will recall them if they dont, but thats only what we would do if we loan players out. Its a big step from being forced to play them.

Whys it only strikers these clauses seem to be brought out for? JBW barely played when he was here if these clauses are so common how comes he didnt have one?:smile:

Indeed, to take a youngster on and be forced to play him would be suicide, you are taking a risk with them anyway.

We had people saying Woodrow had to start, then he was a sub so they changed it to had to play, then he didnt play and they scrabbled around for some other reason for these clauses.

Same happened with Coulthirst, who spent a big chunk of his time with us on the bench.

These teams want their players to play, thats the whole point of a loan, and they will recall them if they dont, but thats only what we would do if we loan players out. Its a big step from being forced to play them.

Whys it only strikers these clauses seem to be brought out for? JBW barely played when he was here if these clauses are so common how comes he didnt have one?:smile:

While I also think it's pretty much impossible that we'd ever agree to a loan signing where we were required to play them. I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that there may be an agreement with some loanees where we contribute more in terms of wages when they're not being played. That spreads some of the financial risk and ensures were serious about loaning a player in to genuinely play them. It seems sensible, but that doesn't mean it happens in football. However it's one of the rumours that does tend to pop up on here.

We had that very rumour with Coulthirst when the conspiracy theorists came out in force.

We couldn't afford to not play him they said with his massive Spurs contract, then we didnt play him for ages.

Its certainly possible to have that sort of thing in the deal, but the bottom line is we have never been forced to play any of our loanees.

Whether they warranted a game half the time is something else :smile:

I knew it was a mistake to even mention it, so I've changed the original post and I unreservedly withdraw that bit.

Brown likes a left footer and a right footer. Prosser will be in as soon as Barrett is out. Rea, Bolger and Thompson are competing for the same spot.

Unless he decides 3 at the back is a good idea.

I think Adam is still considered 1st team preference right now, and depending on what happens after Saturday (poor performance or injury etc), I would expect Barratt to start on Saturday against Shrewsbury, Scunthorpe and also Millwall, but think Phil might rest him for the Crewe game and the JPT against Crawley.

Anyway, as was mentioned in an earlier post, it's good to write for once that I agree that Phil will have a "nice" selection headache. :clap:

From what I've heard Rea isn't entirely one-footed and doesn't mind playing on the left side of a CB pairing, though that could be wrong.

Why change was isnt broken.

Pretty sure we can get Rea until the end of the season. Would have him and Barrett for the know how for now. The in order I would go Bolger, Tommo, Frankie Banks then Prosser.

Why change was isnt broken.

Pretty sure we can get Rea until the end of the season. Would have him and Barrett for the know how for now. The in order I would go Bolger, Tommo, Frankie Banks then Prosser.

No Christmas card from Prosser last year then?

I do like Pross but I think he should have taken the move this summer. As unless all the other 4 get injured or suspended all at the same time, I can't see him getting a whole lot of game time. The only game he's started this season Bolger was injured, Thompson wasn't signed on and Rea was still at Brighton, all 3 are well ahead of him in the pecking order.

Back