• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Boreham Wood 1-0 Southend United

I’ll only reply to this once, as it’s not the correct thread to do this on, however.

I know of one established National League player who should be joining us in the Summer. He can’t wait to join us.

There will always be players who want to join us. There will be close to 1,000 players out of contract in the summer, they would rather be paid late, than not at all. We’ve had a reputation for paying players late/winding up orders etc for years and we’ve still attracted players. Whether they have been a success or not is for another day.

You have players, like Gus & Kensdale, who are plying their trade at levels below us who would be desperate to sign for us even with our reputation.

Don’t forget the pull the likes of Stan & John Still have.

Don’t forget the pull the likes of Kev, Benno & Currie have.

Don’t forget the pull us fans have. Regularly over 5,000 at home, over 500 away most games (700 plus at Wrexham followed by 850 plus at Boreham Wood).

We’d be able to bring in loans too, where there is little to no risk for the player joining in terms of no receiving their wages.

Now, we can debate whether we will attract the 25 goal a season we need, the goalscoring midfielder we need etc

We can debate whether the players we bring in will be of the right quality for a play-off/promotion push etc but we will, obviously embargo depending, be able to bring in new players.

But but but, Rhys Murphy is on strike?

But but but, Hyde has returned to Wrexham?

I've be saying this for a while now, the one trick pony play out wide to Bridge is just so predictable and even pushing it out to GSM to mix it up seems beyond these players imo, if I was gus I'd be asking direct questions of management and players responsible or maybe just stay back.
Bridge is more in the Anton Du Bek stable rather than being fast and direct. Bring back Spud !

I love these boys and they'll always have my admiration and gratitude for what they've achieved under the circumstances this season, but that game showed why we just aren't good enough to seriously challenge for promotion.

Forget the penalty decision because we should never have been in that position - we were utterly, utterly toothless in the final third today. Couldn't finish our collective dinners and I feel like we could have played until Christmas and not put the bloody thing in the net. It's not just today, it's been a problem all season. We just don't have enough ability or guile to create and score enough clear-cut chances.

I think that's probably season over now unless someone pulls a rabbit out of the hat, gets the embargo lifted and allows Kev to bring in a bit more quality up top - but then again, who the **** is gonna want to play for this club at the moment?

MARTIN OUT.
Can u explain how we managed to win more games unpaid then paid? Because since ron paid the players we haven't won a match!

Can u explain how we managed to win more games unpaid then paid? Because since ron paid the players we haven't won a match!
Oh, I don't know Steve, it could be for multiple reasons couldn't it?

It could be that things overall have just got to them now.
It could be that most of our wins have come against teams in the bottom half of the table and the most recent 4 have been against teams in the playoffs, with the losses showing that we're not quite on their level yet.
It could be physical (and mental) exhaustion and the need (but inability) to add to the squad.

You have a very simplistic and one-dimensional way of looking at things, which in some ways I admire. But you'd probably come up with some answers to your own questions if you really tried.

I felt it was a poor decision at the time, but as I was 100 yards away I reserved full judgment until seeing a replay. Having now seen it a truly shocking call, almost verging on a dive from Brunt.

However, not the reason we didn’t win, as has been adequately discussed elsewhere.
Can't believe I am saying this but if there was ever a case for VAR lower down the leagues this is it, not that it would ever happen any time soon

and on what authority can you say they will be leaving end of season, How can anyone say for certain they will be gone, Myself i hope they all stay
,times have been hard yes ,but they seem to be enjoying their football and i think they like Kev and co too.
I’ll only reply to this once, as it’s not the correct thread to do this on, however.

I know of one established National League player who should be joining us in the Summer. He can’t wait to join us.

There will always be players who want to join us. There will be close to 1,000 players out of contract in the summer, they would rather be paid late, than not at all. We’ve had a reputation for paying players late/winding up orders etc for years and we’ve still attracted players. Whether they have been a success or not is for another day.

You have players, like Gus & Kensdale, who are plying their trade at levels below us who would be desperate to sign for us even with our reputation.

Don’t forget the pull the likes of Stan & John Still have.

Don’t forget the pull the likes of Kev, Benno & Currie have.

Don’t forget the pull us fans have. Regularly over 5,000 at home, over 500 away most games (700 plus at Wrexham followed by 850 plus at Boreham Wood).

We’d be able to bring in loans too, where there is little to no risk for the player joining in terms of no receiving their wages.

Now, we can debate whether we will attract the 25 goal a season we need, the goalscoring midfielder we need etc

We can debate whether the players we bring in will be of the right quality for a play-off/promotion push etc but we will, obviously embargo depending, be able to bring in new players.
I’m not saying there won’t be players wanting to join us, but it’s the quality of those players that will be joining that will be the biggest concern.

Players who are out of contract that are struggling to find clubs to join won’t get us out of the NL.

Under 23 loans from Premier League clubs very rarely set the world alight unfortunately, not all the time, Lopata being the exception, but generally they aren’t going make a huge impact.

We’ll struggle to pay a fee for any player now as most clubs won’t do business with us anymore, as was the case with Josh Kelly going to Solihull Moors.

Yes the 3 amigos would be a big pull for players to join us, but as I’ve said previously I don’t think they will still be here next season. Would be amazed if they aren’t managing in the EFL next season.

Unfortunately a mass summer exodus is highly likely.

Look at where the teams we beat are in the table and then compare them to the teams we've lost to in the last 4. There's your answer. This team is good enough to beat bottom half sides but it isn't good enough to beat playoff sides.

I might be wrong but why does everyone always think signing players answers everything?

Obviously the s#!t RM has created has cost us another season as any transfer embargo is unacceptable but we do have a very good team and as far as I have seen (not missed a home game & been to 6 away) with the exception of Notts C & Wrexham we have a squad of players most other teams in the NL can only dream of.

Our style of football has become unbelievably predictable, expecting JB to produce miracles on the wing every match & everyone moaning about our forwards when the ball very rarely reaches the oppositions penalty box 🤷 I genuinely don't know if they are any good or not?

Watch how the other teams who are in the top 10 play and the answer is there, it's not pretty football it's ugly slightly better than Sunday afternoon lump it and hope dross but that's what this league is unfortunately, Wrexham do it brilliantly and why they are top of the league while Notts C play football and will probably miss out on promotion.

If we can't adapt then I fear it's National League football for many years to come 😭

UTB 💙

I might be wrong but why does everyone always think signing players answers everything?

Obviously the s#!t RM has created has cost us another season as any transfer embargo is unacceptable but we do have a very good team and as far as I have seen (not missed a home game & been to 6 away) with the exception of Notts C & Wrexham we have a squad of players most other teams in the NL can only dream of.

Our style of football has become unbelievably predictable, expecting JB to produce miracles on the wing every match & everyone moaning about our forwards when the ball very rarely reaches the oppositions penalty box 🤷 I genuinely don't know if they are any good or not?

Watch how the other teams who are in the top 10 play and the answer is there, it's not pretty football it's ugly slightly better than Sunday afternoon lump it and hope dross but that's what this league is unfortunately, Wrexham do it brilliantly and why they are top of the league while Notts C play football and will probably miss out on promotion.

If we can't adapt then I fear it's National League football for many years to come 😭

UTB 💙
If FF eventually happens, we'll have the best stadium in the NL!

I do see your points and they’re very valid arguments. However, you make it sound like we were storming the league with Lopata, when we were not.

What’s the excuse for the December wobble when Lopata was playing? Conceding 3 goals vs Gateshead… 2 vs aldershot… 2 vs Altrincham…. Not beating Bromley over new years…
Think we were 14th when Łopata joined and then with our games in hand we were on course for 5th or so his last start.

The Gateshead game seemed a bit of a fluke (worldie goals from long range) and dinged confidence but we got back on track with a clean sheet at Bromley. That’s what we needed to do v Barnet (probably our worst defensive display of the season) and then the subsequent three games!

Is the established national league player who can’t wait to join us well in his thirties injury prone and can play around 20 games in a season??? Just wondering
I have no inside info but can think of one established NL player in his 30s who has reputedly been waiting to join us since October(ish). He’s not injury prone though (keepers rarely are).

I'll take a stab that this is Justham considering thats still rumbling on and he's been spotted at games etc, which is a bit odd if he's not signing for us.

But anyways, great posts today @BoyWonder2 👍
Why are we looking to sign another goalie ? Are we expecting one of our existing keepers to move on ?

Look at where the teams we beat are in the table and then compare them to the teams we've lost to in the last 4. There's your answer. This team is good enough to beat bottom half sides but it isn't good enough to beat playoff sides.
Disagree! We have given the best 2 sides in the division decent games! Apart from a hubblin by notts we have held our own against promotion sides.

Also since kevin recived manager of the month we have not won either The dreaded curce strikes again .

Disagree! We have given the best 2 sides in the division decent games! Apart from a hubblin by notts we have held our own against promotion sides.
We usually hold our own against promotion sides because defensively we're a very good side (even without Lopata), especially now that Arnold is back. We don't win many of those games though because going forwards we offer very little, it's something that needs to be addressed next season.

Back