• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
I remember when we played the SadOs on 23rd August 1985, it was a Friday night and the first home league game of the season, we'd just signed this new striker from our visitors for what appeared a bargain £5k, his name ?? Richard Cadette !!! He'd scored shed loads in pre-season, admittedly against the usual cannon fodder (note to the newbies.. its ALWAYS been like it, so please stop complaining about our friendlies !!!), but this was the real thing, he'd been an unused sub at Crewe the previous Saturday (the last time i missed the opening fixture of the season i'm proud to say )but he'd entered the fray as a 2nd half sub on the Tuesday vs Gillingham in the League Cup and turned a pretty dull affair into an absolutely thrilling one, with his pace, movement and just good old-fashioned desire, that 20 minute cameo rightfully earned him a starting spot for the Os match, with plenty amongst the 3643 crowd keen to see a repeat performance, and boy he didn't disappoint !!!!! I'm not even going to try to describe the goals, i seem to remember them all as being pretty much alike, with RC collecting the ball around 30 yards from goal, beating 2 or 3 players and lashing the ball home, i think he scored 2 in each half as the Shrimpers romped home 5-1, with Danny O'Shea (goes round and round) netting the other. I didn't really know about football rivalries then, apart from a couple of trips to Layabout Road, i realised there was certainly an edge to THOSE matches, so i can't recall if the result led to the sort of celebrations that will be plenty evident come 5pm on August 11th should we muster a similar result, all i know is i just knew i'd seen the emergence of a Blues legend that night, someone who, in my eyes at least, is right up there with the Collymores and Eastwoods of this world.

I remember when we played the SadOs on 23rd August 1985, it was a Friday night and the first home league game of the season, we'd just signed this new striker from our visitors for what appeared a bargain £5k, his name ?? Richard Cadette !!! He'd scored shed loads in pre-season, admittedly against the usual cannon fodder (note to the newbies.. its ALWAYS been like it, so please stop complaining about our friendlies !!!), but this was the real thing, he'd been an unused sub at Crewe the previous Saturday (the last time i missed the opening fixture of the season i'm proud to say )but he'd entered the fray as a 2nd half sub on the Tuesday vs Gillingham in the League Cup and turned a pretty dull affair into an absolutely thrilling one, with his pace, movement and just good old-fashioned desire, that 20 minute cameo rightfully earned him a starting spot for the Os match, with plenty amongst the 3643 crowd keen to see a repeat performance, and boy he didn't disappoint !!!!! I'm not even going to try to describe the goals, i seem to remember them all as being pretty much alike, with RC collecting the ball around 30 yards from goal, beating 2 or 3 players and lashing the ball home, i think he scored 2 in each half as the Shrimpers romped home 5-1, with Danny O'Shea (goes round and round) netting the other. I didn't really know about football rivalries then, apart from a couple of trips to Layabout Road, i realised there was certainly an edge to THOSE matches, so i can't recall if the result led to the sort of celebrations that will be plenty evident come 5pm on August 11th should we muster a similar result, all i know is i just knew i'd seen the emergence of a Blues legend that night, someone who, in my eyes at least, is right up there with the Collymores and Eastwoods of this world.

Good right up mate, remember it well. you bored today by any chance.

Good right up mate, remember it well. you bored today by any chance.

TBH i wrote it ages ago, i just posted it today as its seems appropriate with a week to the game.. as for being bored ?? i wish i had the chance to be.. BLUEBLOOD Jnr keeps trying to drag me into the garden for football and cricket.. does he not realise its about 80 degrees out there and i'm getting too old to be charging round like a loon :cry:

but you'd be charging about like a loon if you found a col ewe fan in your garden.

TBH i wrote it ages ago, i just posted it today as its seems appropriate with a week to the game.. as for being bored ?? i wish i had the chance to be.. BLUEBLOOD Jnr keeps trying to drag me into the garden for football and cricket.. does he not realise its about 80 degrees out there and i'm getting too old to be charging round like a loon :cry:

Surely you're never too old to be charging around like a loon....
At least that's probably how Blueblood Jr. sees it! ;)

but you'd be charging about like a loon if you found a col ewe fan in your garden.
If I found one of them in my garden I would be digging him in with the vegetables to help them grow because that’s the best place for s**t.:D

surprised he hasn't eaten them or father children with them. loads of little baby tools running around the garden.

why?? shrimptank has fathered more children than me and i have never eaten 10 burgers at an away game!

why?? shrimptank has fathered more children than me and i have never eaten 10 burgers at an away game!

I admit to the burgers...but all i know is that i do pay for more kids....fathering has yet to be proven beyond doubt!

Fair point... ST has fathered more children than a Chinese man without a TV, and eaten more than a Sumo wrestler in "training" for a bout :D

going back to the title of the thread. my first ever away game was Orient on a Sunday in 82/83 and on loan John Linford scored in a 1-1 draw.

Back