• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Boycott Greggs the Bakers !!

Options Options Options.

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
In the past I have been a massive fan of Gregg's. Once a week Benny boy from work and I walk over the river for one of there lovely sausage rolls or a mouthwatering chicken pastie.

That was until saturday when it all changed..............

Got to Manchester Victoria nice and early on the way to Oldham. My mate Dom decided he wanted to go into Ladbrookes for a flutter. My other mate Mark and I decided that it was a better idea to grab some food. I spotted Greggs which until Friday I loved.

Got to the counter and ordered my sausage roll. I know from memory they are 76p. Having been drinking with the bloke from the pram shop the night before I had loads of change so I had the right money ready.

Gave the woman my 76p and turned around to walk out the door when in her thick coronation street accent she called me back. I turned about to see what she wanted.

"They are only 50p love" said the fat Bet Lynch look a like. I guessed she must be new and looked at the price tag on the counter. To my total disgust they are in fact 50p in Manchester - A whole 26p cheaper than they are in London. In real terms this means I am paying 52% more for the same prodcut as a grim northerner.

How can a national bakery get away with this? This is the biggest scandal since the disapperance of Lord Lucan. I cant wait till the press get hold of this - They will have a field day.

I reckon I have one sausage roll a week which in effect means I am paying £13.52 a year more than the jobless wonders up there.

Should I today write to Greggs the Bakers to ask why we as people from the South East are asked to pay mroe for the same items as our trampy northern cousins or should I let it drop and accept we are charge more as we earn more (altough seeing the benefits given out nowadays by the government I am not so sure).

DtS

Dear Dave,

I preferred it when you didn't have a wife and your polls were more interesting. :guns: :flamer:

I shall be writing my complaint soon to the SZ.com board and requesting that old DtS be reinstated. It's a ShrimperZone scandal that the standard of your polls have reduced considerably since growing up.

Back in the old days this poll would have been "Boycott Greggs the Bakers" because you should have seen the stuff the Bet Lynch does with a sausage roll before selling them! :flamer:

i have the same huff about the Boots meal deal

£2.99 in Southend

£3.30 in London

Considering Boots distribution is based in Wellingborough, its purely a London tax as its certainly nout to do with distribution!

Show some compassion Dave, life is horrendous enough for northerners - you've been to Grimsby and seen the realities of life in a grim nothern ****hole. Can we not allow them small benefits for their essential items - sausage rolls, Argos jewellery, white Kappa tracksuits etc etc?

I can accept that for houses but not for sausage rolls. Surely the costs of producing one is the same. They no doubt come out of the factory.

Won't this depend on where said sausage roll is produced? If was manufactured oop north the costs will be lower than down here, albeit probably not 50% lower.

I don't like to re-enforce regional sterotypes but surely as a representative of South-East England you should have been flashing designer clothes about and making loud remarks about the thickness of your wad - not complaining that sausage rolls are 26p more expensive back home?

Won't this depend on where said sausage roll is produced? If was manufactured oop north the costs will be lower than down here, albeit probably not 50% lower.

Ok then if a product was produced in London do you think people in North Scotland will pay more than us? I doubt it.....

Surely there should be some consistancy in pricing....
:thump:

I can accept that for houses but not for sausage rolls. Surely the costs of producing one is the same. They no doubt come out of the factory.

I can see this is a very volatile subject and one close to your heart.

Its a case of economics.

Down south we earn on average £42,000 per annum. Up North the average wage is £7,400.

The cost of producing a sausage roll is only the same if they are all made in the same location. After all Greg who works in Greggs in Southend is on a huge salary, compared to Greg who works in Greggs up north.

A house in the South East is on average £200,000 where the same house up north is only £70,000. Both in theory cost the same to build.

NB: I made up all the figures as Im too lazy to research :)

I can see this is a very volatile subject and one close to your heart.

Its a case of economics.

Down south we earn on average £42,000 per annum. Up North the average wage is £7,400.

The cost of producing a sausage roll is only the same if they are all made in the same location. After all Greg who works in Greggs in Southend is on a huge salary, compared to Greg who works in Greggs up north.

A house in the South East is on average £200,000 where the same house up north is only £70,000. Both in theory cost the same to build.

NB: I made up all the figures as Im too lazy to research :)

Ah but the price of the house is determined by the cost of the land where as the cost of the sausage roll is pretty much the same....I think....

bollux regarding the Greggs wages... i used to work for bakers oven (owned by greggs) and they pay not much above the Nat min wage... as i would assume so do Greggs... so thusfore i imagine as this is a NATIONAL minimum wage, the amount they pay there staff is not a differential from store to store.

The additional cost is probably due to the price of shop rent in the south compared to the North... however, this should be averaged out as a group price, and then they should have a set price across the country (say 62p) instead of penalising the people who already have to pay more for there rent/mortages etc.

The only reasonable cost you can take into account and add on soley for London is the congestion charge.

As indicated in previous posts many items are so much cheaper in the north of England than in the south. A prostitute in Manchester will charge less than a similar prozzie in Canterbury for the same sex act. Your friendly neighbourhood drug dealer will charge less for an ounce of crack in Newcastle, than a drug dealer in Crawley. And now sausage rolls in Oldham are cheaper than in London in the same outlet.

As Ian Dury said:

"Sex and drugs and sausage rolls
Are all my body needs
Sex and drugs and sausage rolls
Are so much cheaper in Leeds"

Back