• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ranger was blowing in the first half on Saturday, I'm surprised we got the 77 minutes out of him. Fortuné for NR is the only change I see us making and keep it 4-4-2

I think 2 games in 4 days will be tough for Ranger.

For me -

Oxley

Demetriou
Ferdinand
Thompson
Coker

McLaughlin
Leonard
Wordsworth
Atkinson

Cox
Fortune

Subs

Smith
White
Ranger
McGlashan
Inniss
Mooney
King

Ranger I can see on the bench, it is alot to ask for imo.

I would like us to go and attack the game, with the same system. Going in defensive won't work and let them rip us to shreads, better just to stick to the tried and tested rather then change it up again.

There 2nd, so we will win anyway. :winking:

I think 2 games in 4 days will be tough for Ranger.

Eh? What? No be serious. Ranger is a professional sportsman. He is not old. He is not coming back from some long term injury. He is not some pratt from the premiership who needs to have their ego massaged and their hair coiffured. And he does not strike me as being someone that needs to be wrapped in cotton wool and asked if he is okay every 5 minutes.

I look forward to seeing him on the pitch at the start of the match.

Last edited:
Do you think Barrett's recent statement about Southend being relegation candidates after the defeat at Rochdale upset PB?

Maybe. Thompson and Ferdinand did a job on Saturday, whether that was because Barratt got up Phil's nose or whether they played because Phil thought it was time for a change I don't know.

Do you think Barrett's recent statement about Southend being relegation candidates after the defeat at Rochdale upset PB?

Phil stated himself that we were in a relegation fight. Don't think AB's comments were detramental in his omission from the squad. Conceding 11 goals probably had a bigger bearing on it. Whilst you can't blame one player, you also can't protect them game after game and carry on selecting them regardless of how they played previously. Cult hero or not, if you have looked suspect in recent games, then a different approach is needed.

However, I'm sure if we get a smacking tomorrow, AB will be back Saturday. The wonders of football.

Eh? What? No be serious. Ranger is a professional sportsman. He is not old. He is not coming back from some long term injury. He is not some pratt from the premiership who needs to have their ego massaged and their hair coiffured. And he does not strike me as being someone that needs to be wrapped in cotton wool and asked if he is okay every 5 minutes.

I look forward to seeing him on the pitch at the start of the day.

I agree Ratty. And Phil knows we play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, it is quite unthinkable that Phil would not be considering his squad rotation/substitutions and rest/recovery for key players.
Ranger will start and be asked to do an hour and then give a signal if/when he is "blowing".

YES! There is a way of accepting that things are difficult but still showing belief in your colleagues as a team. Adam Barrett broke virtually every rule in the Captain book.
I am certain he meant well but when I read his comments - I was appalled.
Maybe a brief lesson. Adam will be back...a little smarter but a little older...oooer!

Agree, Barrets comments were silly so early in the season. Win our next two (unlikely I know) and we will be nearer the top 6 than bottom 6. He should be raising spirits not dampening them. I also think Brown had to act after leaking so many goals. He didnt bring in Anton to sit on the bench and Thompson always puts in a good shift so it made sense. Now we have all 4 strikers fit I would hope we go 2 up top from now on.

I agree Ratty. And Phil knows we play Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday, it is quite unthinkable that Phil would not be considering his squad rotation/substitutions and rest/recovery for key players.
Ranger will start and be asked to do an hour and then give a signal if/when he is "blowing".

I am reliably informed that this is the main reason he dropped Barrett. There's no falling out and nothing to do with what Barrett had said about a relegation fight. I'm no big fan of Thompson as he tends to get beat in the air by the bigger striker, and hoofs too much for my liking, but I have to say he was superb on Saturday. He made sure he beat the attackers to every ball, and passed it about on the floor for a nice change. The best I've ever seen him play. So Adam Barrett may have to wait more games than intended to get back into the starting line up, as I can't see the superb Ferdinand being dropped just yet.

Back