• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Bradley Johnson from Leeds?

As others have mentioned, how many times in the windows do we try to sign players out of our reach then you'll see quotes in the Echo like "we couldn't compete - tried our best etc".

Its like trying to sign Robinho and going "oh, we came up a bit short".

It is incredible to me how some people are so desperate to be negative and just knock everything the club tries to do.

If we go for a decent standard of player, we are "trying to sign players out of our reach." If we don't we have no ambition.

If we gamble on someone untried from lower leagues we are trying to run the club on a shoestring. If we don't we are told we have let a gem slip through our fingers

If we sign a tried and tested League One standard player, we are unambitious. If we don't we aren't creating competition for places.

Frankly I am fed up of this pointless moaning about everything Tilly does. How about people wait until the end of the transfer window, and then we can discuss the team as it stands at that point.

I can't believe that Tilson is being criticised for going for a decent player!

:headbang:

It is incredible to me how some people are so desperate to be negative and just knock everything the club tries to do.

If we go for a decent standard of player, we are "trying to sign players out of our reach." If we don't we have no ambition.

If we gamble on someone untried from lower leagues we are trying to run the club on a shoestring. If we don't we are told we have let a gem slip through our fingers

If we sign a tried and tested League One standard player, we are unambitious. If we don't we aren't creating competition for places.

Frankly I am fed up of this pointless moaning about everything Tilly does. How about people wait until the end of the transfer window, and then we can discuss the team as it stands at that point.

Agree. We have to be ambitious or there is no point in even having a football team. If we were not ambitious against Chelsea we would have been thrashed. If we were not ambitious in past seasons we would not have gained promotion and got into national cup finals. If we were not ambitious in the transfer window we would not have signed players like Christophe and Freedman. We tried to sign Harding, which was ambitious, but either we could not afford the asking price or his wages. We tried to sign Mulgrew but he went to a top Scottish club.

Spot on. I used to get fed up about it, now I just take a step back and laugh. If people want to spend what it takes to support a football club these days just to have something else to be negative and miserable about, I guess that's their right.

Woah! Hold on... why on earth do people get so fricking jumped up in defending EVERYTHING the club does.

This is a DISCUSSION forum. If everything was sweetness and light all the time, then this place would be dull.

The point is UP FOR DISCUSSION. We are trying to sign players clearly out of our reach and my point is - 'whats the point'?

If Bradley Johnson signed for Leeds recently for £250,000 then you think they are going to accept £20k for him?

No, its rumoured they want £1.5m for him - even at £250,000 we probably couldnt afford him in the current climate.

Chasing targets like that is a waste of time and resources. I've no problem in making bids for players and we do need better players in, but surely managers, coaches, scouts etc know (from inside the game) who is going to be a £1.5m player and who is going to be available on the cheap?

Seems too many people want to jump on peoples backs on here and label them 'negative' when its being realistic.

Dont know why some of you dont start your own forums and call it "www.everythingisfantasticnothingtoseehere.com"...

Woah! Hold on... why on earth do people get so fricking jumped up in defending EVERYTHING the club does.

This is a DISCUSSION forum. If everything was sweetness and light all the time, then this place would be dull.

The point is UP FOR DISCUSSION. We are trying to sign players clearly out of our reach and my point is - 'whats the point'?

If Bradley Johnson signed for Leeds recently for £250,000 then you think they are going to accept £20k for him?

No, its rumoured they want £1.5m for him - even at £250,000 we probably couldnt afford him in the current climate.

Chasing targets like that is a waste of time and resources. I've no problem in making bids for players and we do need better players in, but surely managers, coaches, scouts etc know (from inside the game) who is going to be a £1.5m player and who is going to be available on the cheap?

Seems too many people want to jump on peoples backs on here and label them 'negative' when its being realistic.

Dont know why some of you dont start your own forums and call it "www.everythingisfantasticnothingtoseehere.com"...

as you said this is a forum for discussion and everyone's entitled to their own opinion and agree that some people are better at defending on here than barrett and clarke at times, but still they are only giving an opinion.

in regards to your comment about wasting time and resources, tilly would not be going in for him if he didnt think there was a chance of getting him. he is on the transfer list, no one is going to pay 1.5million for him, it will be nearer 400k or so i'd imagine, and with our cup run, money from bailey sale etc, there are finances there. i may be wrong here, but i'm sure ron said that if tilly had've come to him in the summer saying he wanted to sign a player, then he would've backed him, but tilly did not find the right player. we don't want another foran (sorry, irish shrimper).

i dont think we'll get him, but i didnt think we'd get freedman or goater. the clubs got great fans, potential and a great management team. if players cant see this then we dont want them here. i dont want to turn up to watch a team of money grabbers stroll around the pitch not wanting to progress with this team.

i'm sure there is more behind the scenes to this transfer bid that would make tilly want to sign him and think there is a chance of getting him.

as you said this is a forum for discussion and everyone's entitled to their own opinion and agree that some people are better at defending on here than barrett and clarke at times, but still they are only giving an opinion.

in regards to your comment about wasting time and resources, tilly would not be going in for him if he didnt think there was a chance of getting him. he is on the transfer list, no one is going to pay 1.5million for him, it will be nearer 400k or so i'd imagine, and with our cup run, money from bailey sale etc, there are finances there. i may be wrong here, but i'm sure ron said that if tilly had've come to him in the summer saying he wanted to sign a player, then he would've backed him, but tilly did not find the right player. we don't want another foran (sorry, irish shrimper).

i dont think we'll get him, but i didnt think we'd get freedman or goater. the clubs got great fans, potential and a great management team. if players cant see this then we dont want them here. i dont want to turn up to watch a team of money grabbers stroll around the pitch not wanting to progress with this team.

i'm sure there is more behind the scenes to this transfer bid that would make tilly want to sign him and think there is a chance of getting him.

Good points - I'm still concerned about the real value of our 'warchest' - cup runs or not.

I'd be staggered if we stumped up anything like £400,000 for a player in the current situation the club is in.

Maybe it was a loan bid, but even so he's the sort of player out of our reach I'd say.

How about the other chap from Leeds we tried to get on loan - Jonathon Douglas...

Nobody knows what offer we've made, nobody knows what Leeds might really be asking. Given that Millwall have made enquiries and the guy has been farmed out to Brighton I'm not particularly inclined to believe the story about a £1.5 million price tag.

The point is that, unless you count Jeff, this is our first rejected bid of this transfer window and already the knives are out to pick every little hole possible in the move. It really is utterly laughable. I almost wonder if it's motivated by some kind of fear that Tilly will do the business in the coming weeks and the shots need to be got in while possible.

The point is that, unless you count Jeff, this is our first rejected bid of this transfer window and already the knives are out to pick every little hole possible in the move.

I think of it as the first rejected bid that we know about. We can't be certain there haven't been others as they are not alway publicised.

Paul it's because you're so negative and it gets up people's noses. They are just being honest. Accept the fact that some people disagree with you.

Wouldn't say I was 'so' negative! I've been positive about the club's handling of the ticket situation this morning.

I just dont think supporting a club means agreeing with 100% of the decisions all the time.

I've still got a problem with some of Tilly's transfer activity and I'm genuinely worried that this window is our last chance to have a chance of doing anything this season. After Chelsea, within a few weeks we could realistically be in a relegation scrap.

I know he will be 'doing all he can' etc and thats great, so as others have said, lets see what gems he can unearth before Feb 1.

I just dont think supporting a club means agreeing with 100% of the decisions all the time.

Absolutely not.

I've been critical of Tilly's signing of several similar "big men" to play up front, when our most successful strikers of recent times have been the ones with guile. I also think that the club could do a lot worse than to send him on a media handling course seeing as his interviews are obviously upsetting some.

Speculation over what will happen during this window, how the team will look after and where we'll end up finishing is just that - speculation. The bloke's track record speaks for itself so while if he doesn't bring anybody in criticism will be justified, doesn't he at least deserve to be afforded the opportunity to do so?

Wouldn't say I was 'so' negative! I've been positive about the club's handling of the ticket situation this morning.

I've still got a problem with some of Tilly's transfer activity and I'm genuinely worried that this window is our last chance to have a chance of doing anything this season. After Chelsea, within a few weeks we could realistically be in a relegation scrap.

I know he will be 'doing all he can' etc and thats great, so as others have said, lets see what gems he can unearth before Feb 1.
he has an extra day as according to bbc sport we have till 5pm on feb the 2nd

Agreed. Some of tilly's signings have been uninspiring but even the greatest managers make mistakes. Fergie brought in Kleberson!
It's the great signings you get remembered for, and i'm hoping we get one this month because i agree that we could be in a relegation scrap come may otherwise, and that would almost certainly put a halt on the stadium and put us back to playing at the same level as to when tilly joined.

Yes everything isn't fantasic but when people start slamming the club for being ambitious then that does really get on my nerves! People do have opinions but think before typing, positives and negatives about what is happening and not just typing the first thing that comes to your brain (if you have one!)

I am not slamming Tilly for the signings he makes. I am perfectly confident that he gets the best he can and many of which have been sound purchases/loans. I am however critical of the club 'spin' that is wheeled out each and every season. We are not, unless daydreamers, expecting fantastic value signings. Why should we? Each and every time the transfer window opens, especially when we have made a few bob on player sales or big game receipts the club try to suggest the war chest was there but the players were not up for it. Come on. Just keep it real. The money goes to survival and the calibre we sign is all we expect. As for people saying its good to be ambitious, maybe, but I for one find it negative to club and fan morale when we are constantly reminded of the gulf between us and many of the clubs we would to be as big as when the players reject us time and time again in favour of others. Our current positives are the the wealth of youth talent that shines so brightly for us and the hope that we may move from Roots Hall and put ourselves into a more competitive position to go forward and flourish. Bring it on!

First of all, Bradley Johnson would be a brilliant signing for us if we was to get him on board. Did extremely well at Northampton which earnt him a move to Leeds where things haven't really worked out for him. He had a loan spell earlier on in the season at Brighton and won rave reviews from what I've heard, he also scored a few screamers down there as well.

He is mainly a central midfielder, but has spent a lot of the time on the left hand side. He has fantastic delivery with his left foot, and I think I'm right in saying, he took the majority of set pieces at Northampton. He isn't blessed with pace, think his about Gower's pace if I remember correctly. Tilson says he doesn't sign players unless they will improve the squad and this fella would. A midfield of Johnson Christophe Macca Betsy is, on paper, a very good midfield at this level.

The stories of QPR, Middlesboro' and Cardiff looking to spend £1.5m on him are from November and are well wide of the mark. He cost Leeds £250K to bring in and I imagine they would be looking for a similiar fee as he didn't get a look in under GM and appears to be out of favour with Grayson.

He has the potential to be a decent Championship midfielder.

Secondly, who are we to judge that Johnson is out of our League? What are you lot basing that on, a few transfer rumours from November? The guy has been on loan at Brighton, and I imagine we have more resources then them lot, plus it was also rumoured that Millwall had a bid turned down as well. I can't imagine them having a massive budget down there.

Be interested to see toellandback's views on him, and this story.

Back