• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours Bradley Johnson from Leeds?

If ever there is a replacement for Gower that's available to us, it's Bradley Johnson.

I do worry however that would be our transfer budget gone on one player, leaving us still desperate for reinforcements at the back.

First of all, Bradley Johnson would be a brilliant signing for us if we was to get him on board. Did extremely well at Northampton which earnt him a move to Leeds where things haven't really worked out for him. He had a loan spell earlier on in the season at Brighton and won rave reviews from what I've heard, he also scored a few screamers down there as well.

He is mainly a central midfielder, but has spent a lot of the time on the left hand side. He has fantastic delivery with his left foot, and I think I'm right in saying, he took the majority of set pieces at Northampton. He isn't blessed with pace, think his about Gower's pace if I remember correctly. Tilson says he doesn't sign players unless they will improve the squad and this fella would. A midfield of Johnson Christophe Macca Betsy is, on paper, a very good midfield at this level.

The stories of QPR, Middlesboro' and Cardiff looking to spend £1.5m on him are from November and are well wide of the mark. He cost Leeds £250K to bring in and I imagine they would be looking for a similiar fee as he didn't get a look in under GM and appears to be out of favour with Grayson.

He has the potential to be a decent Championship midfielder.

Secondly, who are we to judge that Johnson is out of our League? What are you lot basing that on, a few transfer rumours from November? The guy has been on loan at Brighton, and I imagine we have more resources then them lot, plus it was also rumoured that Millwall had a bid turned down as well. I can't imagine them having a massive budget down there.

Be interested to see toellandback's views on him, and this story.

Agreed. I'm not sure whether Johnson is out of our reach or not (I'm guessing he's on decent wages) but ultimately I'd prefer to be positive and look from the point of view that Tilly is clearly trying to bring in a dynamic midfielder, which is badly needed now that Lee Sawyer is unlikely to return.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradley_Johnson

Central Midfielder who can play on the left...

Leeds bought him for £250k, so I guess they will be looking for something near that.

Great player, but think he will head to a Championship club or one of the richer clubs in League One like Leicester/MK Dons etc.

They've got no money! The've run out of money and can't finish thier stadium!

Easy to think a club high up in the league with a new stadium is rich....but they really aren't.

Johnson was a youth team player at Cambridge United under Ricky Duncan, so he may well be receptive to a move here on that basis, although if a Championship club did make an offer, I imagine he'd want to go there ahead of us.

Well we're about to be £750,000-odd richer than we thought we were a few weeks ago, so i'm pretty sure we could afford a £250k bid on someone..

We didn't expect an FA Cup third round replay with Chelsea so it could well be that Ron has said to Tilly that he can spend the money made from it in the transfer market (£75k from TV, a sold out ground of tickets as well as merchandise, food, etc...) and that has boosted the 'war chest'

I would be happy to see Bradley Johnson in a Southend shirt, believe he would drastically improve the left side of the midfield.

He's also played left back so would provide cover for Johnny Herd, on the pitch defensively, as well as if Herd got injured.

£250k would be well worth it for someone who would improve the team a lot and also provide cover for a couple of places.

Would still much rather see evidence of the defence being strengthened.

Yes that would be my priority as well, even if it looks as though Johnny Herd can do a job for us at left back.

Absolutely, we need to strengthen our defence, but just because the only player we have been linked with so far is a midfielder that isn't evidence that Tilly et al aren't also running the rule over any number of potential signings including defenders. I don't think this is a priority thing, several areas of our squad need attention and I have every trust that Tilly is looking at all of them.

Maybe the bid for Bradley Johnson is a loan offer?! Can't see us bidding six figures for anyone...even if our cup run earnings are about to clear £750,000.
Hope I'm wrong because Johnson is a very good player who can play anywhere down the left, but I don't think a large amount of that money will be made available for transfers.

Millwall also had a bid rejected for him - dont want to get into a bidding war and pay over the odds. I still hope we are doing all we can to sign Sawyer from Chelsea. Maybe if we beat them on Wednesday that might give him a bit of belief that its ok to drop a couple of divisions.

what ever we do lets not try and sign aplayer that might be remotely good and other teams want him,

A leeds fans opinon of Johnson:

He's a young lad with a lot of potential but even now has enough to be in our first team. He's a CM but macca played him at LB in just about every game on our run to wembley. He did not have a bad game at wembley, well no more than anyone else yet macca dropped him completely and sent him out on loan. Despite calls from the fans for bradley to be recalled after scoring goals for brighton he was not brough back. Now grayson is the manager he said he's prepared to give brad a chance to show what he can do which is fair enough.

I'm never personally insulting mate, there's no need for that even if you are only 16.

Sorry its just that when people start slamming the club over the smallest thing then it really annoys me. Sorry if I had insulted anyone, on intention of it.

Sorry i have only just seen this story.

He's a funny one, he is alright but i wouldn't miss him if he left. He comes across as very self assured and confident for a young lad. There were many rumours about why he left on loan ranging from a drinking habit to dodgy phone calls to Macca.

Bradley came on saturday and played again today behind closed doors, Larry Grayson also said he was pleased with him at the end of last week.

He claims he plays better in the middle and perhaps giving half a chance he would. That said he isn't better than Delph or Douglas. He is strong, quite quick and good in the air. I would say the big thing with him is attitude. The trouble we have is that judging a player on how he performs at Leeds doesn't mean alot, some players flourish being bigger fish in smaller ponds away from the pressure cooker of Elland Road eg Dan Harding.

Any other questions just ask

Back