• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

But with no "remain" option.

Regardless of what you & AAS state, Labour will not win the next election with such a stance despite the utter **** show that is the Tory party. What an absolute pitiful state UK politics is in and all thanks to that pig-****er Cameron kotowing to UKIP.

It seems to me that the wishes of the Great British public have to be respected in a democracy. While I think the narrow leave majority vote in the referendum was a huge mistake,the verdict was clear enough.I would argue that what the Tories should be doing now is to achieve a Brexit deal,which leaves the UK shadowing the EU single market and customs union as closely as possible.All this hard Brexit nonsense on WTO terms, is for the birds.
As long as Labour are holding the government to account on any possible deal (which they will do) and are prepared to countenance a second referendum if there isn't a GE in short order,then I personally happen to think their position is an entirely reasonable one. I would agree however,that the whole Brexit situation is a complete mess,largely due to the incompetence of HMG.

Think Ford Football has got a point about delaying posting. There I was, on Saturday night, thinking that Labour were making a momentus decision on the issue of a people's vote. Rather like celebrating a goal and then slowly understanding that McCluskey and McDonnell have their flag up for offside. It all started well until big Len had his say on Sunday morning. Then Conference decided overnight thet they will only vote on a second referendum as a kind of backstop option..............behind their prefered choice of a General Election. Now this morning McDonnell completes the farce, lining up with McCluskey, to limit the choice of any possible referendum.
SO.............the choice is, with the Tories; May's deal or no deal. With Labour it's May's deal or no deal......................spot the difference! :Smile: Sadly what we have is a Labour Party who puts its own political thirst for power ahead of what may be best for the country. What on earth is the point of a General Election when, on the most important issue the UK faces, Labour have the same position as the Tories? Please don't give me the eyewash of Labour negotiating a better deal than the Conservatives...............a GOOD deal doesn't exist.........it's an illusion, it's a lie. A fudge is the best we could achieve but that doesn't answer the problems, it just kicks the old can down the road a bit more. Can't we have someone from the political elite from either side of the political elite brave enough to admit it?

Think Ford Football has got a point about delaying posting. There I was, on Saturday night, thinking that Labour were making a momentus decision on the issue of a people's vote. Rather like celebrating a goal and then slowly understanding that McCluskey and McDonnell have their flag up for offside. It all started well until big Len had his say on Sunday morning. Then Conference decided overnight thet they will only vote on a second referendum as a kind of backstop option..............behind their prefered choice of a General Election. Now this morning McDonnell completes the farce, lining up with McCluskey, to limit the choice of any possible referendum.
SO.............the choice is, with the Tories; May's deal or no deal. With Labour it's May's deal or no deal......................spot the difference! :Smile: Sadly what we have is a Labour Party who puts its own political thirst for power ahead of what may be best for the country. What on earth is the point of a General Election when, on the most important issue the UK faces, Labour have the same position as the Tories? Please don't give me the eyewash of Labour negotiating a better deal than the Conservatives...............a GOOD deal doesn't exist.........it's an illusion, it's a lie. A fudge is the best we could achieve but that doesn't answer the problems, it just kicks the old can down the road a bit more. Can't we have someone from the political elite from either side of the political elite brave enough to admit it?

The Lib Dems have been consistant from the start although, sadly they are not going to win a GE and end this impending car crash once and for all. I think Corbyn has really dropped the ball here. He would have picked up an awful lot of votes from those who want another vote now we know how bad things are really going to get. He would have even got mine ( holding nose tightly) just on this matter. That's not to be now, back down a snake we go.

Firstly you don't have to apologise, unlike some I wont chuck my teddy in the corner and neither do you so I'll be straight.

I mentioned insurance as an example its your game so to speak. I used to Ski with a group of bankers in Verbier once a year and they make you insurance boys look like cheap skates when it comes to spending other peoples money.

So what I'm saying is you City boys have always been protected from the EU political agenda. austerity and mass immigration. In fact other peoples hardship makes you wealthier,

You are protected by institutional racism, institutional sexism and nepotism. I'm not having a dig at you, all of us would back the system if we were in it and nobody enjoyed the nights more than me in the exclusive Farm club in Verbier all at the tax payers expense.

All the "credible" financial experts you mention are part of your system. They will never rock the boat. If do believe Mark Carney then I guess you have already put you house on the market?.....When they slump by a third you can buy back in and keep a tidy sum or will you upgrade to a much bigger house?

One ski trip we went to meet a load of German bankers. They weren't the wildest bunch I have met but seemed to like the Brits on the lash. Two girls were flown out from London who work for the US bank. Their job was to run around and sort out lift passes, book the best restaurants and fetch us drinks etc. Whilst this was going on the Bankers were discussing a legal Tax doge. I don't know the full scam but it involves borrowing up to £6m from a private bank for 1 day and showing some sort of trading loss......One of them had just saved £200,000 tax on that years bonus,,,,,I have never heard any "credible" financial experts mention that.

Meanwhile back in the real world the public sector have had no rise for years. In fact with part of their pensions stolen and pay reduction scams they are earning less than they were 10 years ago.

Mass uncontrolled Immigration, including turning a blind eye to illegal migrants, has driven down wages in most jobs like building, driving and the service industry etc. So many people living and working within London range, the sort of people who follow Southend have not done so well from the corrupt and self serving EU. They have never committed crime. worked hard, struggled to put their kids through uni and then realise their children have no chance of even owning a house.

That's why we voted out and that's why we want out, out.....And if a few of your mates have to move to Paris......Who cares?

Firstly I am glad that you don't take any of this personally, I am playing the post and not the poster. I certainly don't take anything personally.

I would like to move away from the city as like you correctly point out it is only a couple of industries and there is a much wider picture, I would point out there are a lot more minions than the top of the tree old boys you speak of and it is quite a diverse bunch, also we are the ones who will suffer not the higher management types. It's very much a glass ceiling situation.

I am very aware of the pay issues in the public sector with my other half being a detective in the Met, I'm not sure that this can be attributed to being in the EU in any way though? The "bus money" that could be reinvested is just going to be plugging part on the hole in the economy now.

I do think Mark Carney knows his onions, I am not selling a house as I do not own one. I probably wouldn't if I did own one though, Carneys forecast of "up to 35%" was based on no deal and I really can't see that happening despite May's posturing as it would be economical suicide. Me and my Partner are in a position to buy and are holding off until after brexit though.

Uncontrolled migration is a concern but we still have a lot more control than people seem to think. The myth of EU citizens being able to come and claim benefits and claim housing is wrong, accommodation has been given but there is no EU law saying that we should and many EU citizens are refused emergency housing and advised to go home. If it gets to a point where they commit a crime we can deport them. I think our enforcement is a bigger issue than the EU freedom of movement (which also has a lot of positives).

I'm 99% sure none of my mates or colleagues will have to move to Paris.

A small majority voted out, those who felt strongly about one aspect or another and some who were convinced by the promised land that Farage, Boris etc painted. Those not fussed and happy with the status quo, many of those didn't vote, remain was a forgone conclusion before the vote according to many including the bookies. Now looking at the brexit we are facing how many of those remainers would change their mind? (probably not many, but certainly some). How many that didn't bother voting would vote now? I'd imagine all remainers would vote this time just as I'm sure pretty much all leavers voted last time. The brexit promised is not what is being delivered, isn't democracy fluid? Things change, people who felt misled by Blair and new Labour made their thoughts known when putting the Tories back in charge. I think that all of those screaming that deciding what we do when the final deal is on the table is "undemocratic" because it has already been voted on when we were told the deal would be a lot better, do so because they know remain would come out victorious.

The Lib Dems have been consistant from the start although, sadly they are not going to win a GE and end this impending car crash once and for all. I think Corbyn has really dropped the ball here. He would have picked up an awful lot of votes from those who want another vote now we know how bad things are really going to get. He would have even got mine ( holding nose tightly) just on this matter. That's not to be now, back down a snake we go.

Vince Cable is by far the best leader on offer, unfortunately the rest of the party aren't up to filling the cabinet

The problem with the Lib Dems is that they are in the luxurious position of being able to promising anything without the hindrance of needing to deliver on it. We all know what happened last time they accidentally got into power!

The problem with the Lib Dems is that they are in the luxurious position of being able to promising anything without the hindrance of needing to deliver on it. We all know what happened last time they accidentally got into power!

Yes, of course they are not in a position to deliver it. The truth is that neither of the two parties capable of delivering it, can...................because it's undeliverable. Let's keep it very simple, the options are as follows:-

1) A NO DEAL BREXIT
In purity it offers what Brexit means. Yet the overwhelming evidence appears to show that
option would cause the most damage (short/medium term) to the economy. It must be
very questionable as to whether that is what most leave voters wanted or expected.

2) A NEGOTIATED DEAL
The closer and softer a deal brings us to the EU the less it can be said to follow the will of
of the majority in the referendum...............of course the closer to the EU the less estimated
damage to the economy. (yet, in my view, this is purely about damage limitation) The
further away and harder a deal takes us from the EU, the further away from consensus we go
and the higher the estimated risk to the economy.

3) A GOOD DEAL
This is May and the Labour Party's cloud cuckoo land. It doesn't exist.......stop lying that
it does.

4) CHANGING OUR MIND
In the face of not being offered anything near to what was promised in the referendum
and in a world that is vastly different and more threatening than the one we voted in
2016...............sorry! We made our decision and that's that..............no opportunity to go
back and think again from either the Tory or Labour Party

This is one of those occassions where it is better to think something than post something.

Maybe something you'd like to consider in future.

Anyway, that's me out of this part of the forum. Nazis, sheesh.....

Do you remember a poster by the name Callan.

Last edited:
Vince Cable was of course a Labour councillor in Glasgow. back in the 70's.

Going off topic here but I am a big fan of Cable, economically he talks more sense than anyone in blue or red. He certainly has a social conscience and was in thorn in the side of the tories trying to pass policy, allegedly, during the coalition years. He also takes apart Corbyn's proposed huge corporation tax hikes with viable alternatives that wouldn't cause the same kind of harm in promoting big business in the UK. A very shrewd man.

Everyone knew exactly what they were voting for. Or are you all forgetting the £9m worth of leaflets the government sent through our door.

No to the customs union
No to the restrictive EU trade deal
No to uncontrolled and the wrong type of immigration
No to funding the unelected criminals in Brussels
No to big business using unlimited labour to drive down wages
No to multinationals using the EU to avoid tax.

It was a once in a life time vote......The decision was final and there would be no going back.

Remainers grizzling about a couple of injuries or the wrong people on the bench is the only thing that has divided the country. In fact I'll be straight, some of you remainers have embarrassed yourselves ever since the result. I expected it from those who directly profiteered from all the corruption but the biggest surprise for me has been the ordinary people who swallow every carefully released chapter of project fear 2, whilst still squealing about some red bus.

I don't fear a no deal because the EU have £300b per year at risk and there is absolutely nothing we cant get from the rest of the world. In fact there would be unlimited opportunities for us British if it was illegal by law to do any trade with the EU. For the simple reason we spend £100b per year more with the EU than they do with us. Over the next 10 years that is one Trillion quid. Money that could be invested into creating real work in real industries hear in Britain.

Take the H2 project for example. The tracks will probably come from Italy, instead of Workington or Scunthorpe like they used to. The rolling stock and signalling will be German. The overhead gantries and cabling from France. The workers will be eastern European or as happened on the Olympic stadium, Russian...….What if all that money was spent here in Britain. Don't say we haven't got the work force or the skills because we have more than enough time to gear up for such a project.

Those who really profit from such a project are the so called professional people. The MPs on the quangos looking into things. The people who do feasibility studies, the lawyers etc. again for these people there is no compulsory tendering not even any competition in their industries. The day we see Uber MP's or Uber Judges then we really will have diversity.

These so called "Experts" who predict all the doom are fully paid up members of the same club. With an ever widening gap between average workers and the privileged elite they wont look to rock the boat because they certainly aren't thinking of the average Southend fan when they spread the next bit of fear...……"If you don't let me continue to take the **** you might lose your zero hours job"

Its the people who own 100 houses that profit form the current system at the very great expense to anyone who just wants to own just one single house. Mark Carney didn't point that out in his prediction did he?

Anyway I voted out for long term reasons. Do any of you really think your life will be better if the population of London increases by 25% over the next 17 years. Forget who they are or what colour their skin is, Its just the numbers we cant possibly cope with, for 101 reasons.

No one can fully predict the benefits of Brexit as it will be a slow burner. However what is 100% guaranteed is the EU is failing at an alarming rate. You only have to look at your own country in the last 15 years to know that. You only have to look at the political and financial upheaval around Europe to know the badly planned and operated EU scheme is doomed. The cost will now spiral out of control and that money will come from you and me because its never the bankers that pay.

Why you would continue supporting such a corrupt and pointless regime is beyond me. Yes some of it is misguided "the world should have no borders" ideology. Some of it is "pull the ladder up I'm aboard" and some of it is just down to a large amount of fear of the unknown.
The sad thing is fear can stop you making the obvious and the right choices in life.

Everyone knew exactly what they were voting for. Or are you all forgetting the £9m worth of leaflets the government sent through our door.

No to the customs union

It was a once in a life time vote......The decision was final and there would be no going back.

Remainers grizzling about a couple of injuries or the wrong people on the bench is the only thing that has divided the country. In fact I'll be straight, some of you remainers have embarrassed yourselves ever since the result. I expected it from those who directly profiteered from all the corruption but the biggest surprise for me has been the ordinary people who swallow every carefully released chapter of project fear 2, whilst still squealing about some red bus.

I don't fear a no deal because the EU have £300b per year at risk and there is absolutely nothing we cant get from the rest of the world. In fact there would be unlimited opportunities for us British if it was illegal by law to do any trade with the EU. For the simple reason we spend £100b per year more with the EU than they do with us. Over the next 10 years that is one Trillion quid. Money that could be invested into creating real work in real industries hear in Britain.

Take the H2 project for example. The tracks will probably come from Italy, instead of Workington or Scunthorpe like they used to. The rolling stock and signalling will be German. The overhead gantries and cabling from France. The workers will be eastern European or as happened on the Olympic stadium, Russian...….What if all that money was spent here in Britain. Don't say we haven't got the work force or the skills because we have more than enough time to gear up for such a project.

Those who really profit from such a project are the so called professional people. The MPs on the quangos looking into things. The people who do feasibility studies, the lawyers etc. again for these people there is no compulsory tendering not even any competition in their industries. The day we see Uber MP's or Uber Judges then we really will have diversity.

These so called "Experts" who predict all the doom are fully paid up members of the same club. With an ever widening gap between average workers and the privileged elite they wont look to rock the boat because they certainly aren't thinking of the average Southend fan when they spread the next bit of fear...……"If you don't let me continue to take the **** you might lose your zero hours job"

Its the people who own 100 houses that profit form the current system at the very great expense to anyone who just wants to own just one single house. Mark Carney didn't point that out in his prediction did he?

Anyway I voted out for long term reasons. Do any of you really think your life will be better if the population of London increases by 25% over the next 17 years. Forget who they are or what colour their skin is, Its just the numbers we cant possibly cope with, for 101 reasons.

No one can fully predict the benefits of Brexit as it will be a slow burner. However what is 100% guaranteed is the EU is failing at an alarming rate. You only have to look at your own country in the last 15 years to know that. You only have to look at the political and financial upheaval around Europe to know the badly planned and operated EU scheme is doomed. The cost will now spiral out of control and that money will come from you and me because its never the bankers that pay.

Why you would continue supporting such a corrupt and pointless regime is beyond me. Yes some of it is misguided "the world should have no borders" ideology. Some of it is "pull the ladder up I'm aboard" and some of it is just down to a large amount of fear of the unknown.
The sad thing is fear can stop you making the obvious and the right choices in life.

So was the vote in 1975, I seem to remember.The 2016 referendum will also be returned at some point in the future too.Don't hold your breath though.:Winking:

No to the customs union

So, you're prepared to risk the prosperity of the country on a future you can't predict and admit will be a 'slow burner' (would you like to expand on what that means?). Equally well, fear can prevent you from making the wrong choices in life. Your position is rather like someone, faced with a fire in a frying pan, jumping out of the window on the assumption that a safety net has been put in place. Whilst I respect your opinion I have extreme doubts that your views represent the majority of those who voted leave, let alone a majority in the country.

No to the customs union

Once again you speak for everybody when you can't possibly know what everybody voted for. Listening to LBC the other day a member of the brexit planning committee said they worked out 28 different brexit outcomes, so there was not one clear message given to all people. One leaflet may have said what you have posted but what about Farage saying we could get a deal like Norway or Switzerland. Daniel Hannan MEP vote leave "Absolutely nobody is talking about threatening our place in the Single Market". Owen Paterson MP, Vote Leave backer "Only a madman would actually leave the Market". So that proves that membership of the single market was being touted by remainers pre referendum, how many did that swing the vote for? The truth is neither of us know for sure. You will keep crying for the vote to be final and I will keep crying for a peoples vote. We both see our own options as the true democratic way forward and I don't think we will change each others mind. I do hope brexit won't be the disaster I think it will be as I'm 90% sure it will happen. There is not much further we can go with discussion as the people I think are well qualified experts you think are part of a global conspiracy. I'm happy to agree to disagree and find common ground in both knowing Southend united are the greatest club the world has ever seen

So, you're prepared to risk the prosperity of the country on a future you can't predict and admit will be a 'slow burner' (would you like to expand on what that means?). Equally well, fear can prevent you from making the wrong choices in life. Your position is rather like someone, faced with a fire in a frying pan, jumping out of the window on the assumption that a safety net has been put in place. Whilst I respect your opinion I have extreme doubts that your views represent the majority of those who voted leave, let alone a majority in the country.

You may well jump out the window in France. Here in Britain and especially if your the sort of person who voted Brexit, you recognise and deal with the problem. You turn off the gas, calmly dampen a handy tea towel, turn your hands inside to protect them and gently guide the tea towel over the flame.

Once you have made sure everyone is safe and prevented further damage by decisive action, you then plan your new kitchen. perhaps a complete decorating job and even new clothes as the wardrobes were open. In fact if your smart with your invoices and get some mates to do the work you might even get a nice little earner out of it.

Yes there will be some upheaval, it might even stress you if you let it. But never forget nobody ever made an omelette without cracking an egg.

Back