• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

So the EU has said that no visa will be required for short trips (up to 90 days) to Europe but an ESTA will be required (ala the USA), but this will only be granted if the UK gives EU citizens the same.

What this means for those already living & working here and ex-pats overseas is unknown. Could the UK be faced with repatriation of millions of elderly ex-pats? And Barna......

Sounds like more good news a repatriation war. There are far more Europeans living here so we could do 2 or even 3 for 1.

Lets start with any that have committed crime. Then any that are claiming benefits. Keep anyone earning more than £30,000 a year. Just like a trade war it will be totally to our advantage...….The EU really will make Brexit a winner.

So the EU has said that no visa will be required for short trips (up to 90 days) to Europe but an ESTA will be required (ala the USA), but this will only be granted if the UK gives EU citizens the same.

What this means for those already living & working here and ex-pats overseas is unknown. Could the UK be faced with repatriation of millions of elderly ex-pats? And Barna......
wey-oh
wey-oh
Barna's back!

Sounds like more good news a repatriation war. There are far more Europeans living here so we could do 2 or even 3 for 1.

Lets start with any that have committed crime. Then any that are claiming benefits. Keep anyone earning more than £30,000 a year. Just like a trade war it will be totally to our advantage...….The EU really will make Brexit a winner.
We had the power to do that already but the government chose not to.

UK approach to EU citizens resident in the UK:

https://www.gov.uk/settled-status-eu-citizens-families

I would be amazed if the EU did not follow suit. That is a political choice on their part. We will all believe different things about what they will decide, or why they should or shouldn’t do one thing or another but basically it is highly unlikely that any deal (should there be one) will not be reciprocal. We’ve committed to this approach, so for our part at least this is they way it will be for EU citizens in the UK.

Any agreement is fairly academic as it won't get through Parliament. The ERG and Labour will see to that.

is it all too late, is the damage already done......

Here's a roundup of the financial exodus so far:

* US bank giants Goldman Sachs, JPMorgan, Morgan Stanley, and Citigroup have
moved 250 billion euros ($283 billion) of balance-sheet assets to
Frankfurt because of Brexit.
* Bank of America is spending $400 million to move staff and operations in
anticipation of Brexit, and is trying to persuade London staff to move to
Paris.
* Barclays is seeking to transfer €250 billion ($280.8 billion) of business
to Dublin and is set to become Ireland's biggest bank.
* France's BNP Paribas, Credit Agricole, and Societe Generale have opted to
transfer 500 staff out of London to Paris.
* UBS has chosen German financial center Frankfurt for its new EU
headquarters.
* Swiss peer Credit Suisse is moving 250 jobs to Germany, Madrid, and
Luxembourg among other EU 27 countries as well as $200 million from its
market division to Germany.
* Germany's Deutsche Bank is also considering shifting large volumes of
assets to Frankfurt as part of its Brexit plan.
* HSBC, Europe's biggest bank, has shifted ownership of many of its European
subsidiaries from its London-based entity to its French unit.
* Australia's largest bank by assets, Commonwealth Bank of Australia, has
set in motion plans to base around 50 staff in Amsterdam, and has applied
for a banking licence in the country.
* Other Australian lenders Macquarie, Westpac, and ANZ are also in talks to
move operations to Dublin and continental Europe.
* Europe’s biggest repo trading venue, called BrokerTec, is being moved to
Amsterdam from London, meaning a $240 billion a day repo business is
leaving the UK.
* More than 100 UK-based asset managers and funds have applied to the Irish
central bank for authorization in Ireland.

The impact of these changes will see less tax revenue for the government,
fewer jobs, and a dent in dealmaking, taking a shine off the City's lustre.

And that's just financial services.

Schaeffler, a car parts company, is closing two UK factories because of
Brexit, leading to 570 fewer jobs. Among others: There's a "Brexit-busting"
ferry that sidesteps UK trade routes, drug companies are stockpiling medicine,
and investors in the once-vibrant UK tech scene are drying up

Ha! Rest assured I have no plans to come back to the UK on a permanent basis..

Crazy situation that May has to see her Cabinet one by one to persuade each of them to back the deal she has spent 2 years cultivating. The people she has personally chosen to be her closest allies are seen as the first big hurdle to get past. They need to read and understand 500 pages of text with less than 24 hours to take that on board before signing off on it. Two years of dicking around then a series of panicked rushed debates.

I think we'll see it all unravel over the next few days. Some will resign from the cabinet, May will probably be forced into resignation. What happens then is anyone's guess.

It will be interesting to know what’s in this current text. Whatever happens I’d be surprised if this was the final agreement, although whatever does go to a vote probably won’t change substantially. There will probably be some changes to mollify some folks but I’d be wary of listening too hard to the Anna Soubrys, Boris Johnsons or Rebecca Long-Baileys of the world who wrote their rejection lines years ago. Clearly this document isn’t the one word ‘remain’ or ‘leave’ that would have been the only thing some could accept. It’s how the more moderate voices react that will be more interesting I think.

What I understand is, that we'll be in a Customs Union for the foreseeable future but have no vote on the matter. Brexit was peddled on "taking back control" and it seems to me we're now giving the control away.

What I understand is, that we'll be in a Customs Union for the foreseeable future but have no vote on the matter. Brexit was peddled on "taking back control" and it seems to me we're now giving the control away.

All things to fight the next 3 GE over...….Tories fighting for a better deal/immigration with Europe will always be a winner for them. Shame Labour will fall into their trap. If Brexit was done and dusted they could win an election if it was over domestic issue.

Yes I know the lefts answer will be "There not smart enough to do that.....Shambles " etc.

I watched for years as the management and government (especially Blair) set traps for my union. Every time they marched straight into it but claimed some sort of victory or blamed 'The right wing press'

Still just like my union, the labour party are now driven by the screaming, selfish left. They refuse to listen to their own people and are only comfortable in an echo chamber......Every other thought is silenced and we all pay the price.

Rigsby forget your flowery prose. Simple question - are you happy with a deal that strips the UK of the ability to influence the EU but still be bound by the rules that it makes? Yes or no.

Rigsby forget your flowery prose. Simple question - are you happy with a deal that strips the UK of the ability to influence the EU but still be bound by the rules that it makes? Yes or no.

That is a good point, although the intention (as I understand it at the moment) is that we were always remaining in the customs union during the transition period while the technology is implemented to facilitate an invisible border. That isn’t as hard as some might say, we’ve developed far more sophisticated border technology for other matters (and I’ve been part that delivery, so that bit I have intimate knowledge of). The backstop arrangement is to cover any period beyond the transition period but only if necessary - and there has been some talk today of an ‘independent arbitration mechanism’ to facilitate an exit to that arrangement once the solutions are in place to allow it. Clearly there’s a lot to discuss there and skepticism about the border technology is certainly not unreasonable in my view, although my experience of these things (such as it is) leads me to believe these things could be achieved. We’ve ****ed up simpler things though :Smile:

It will be interesting to know what’s in this current text. Whatever happens I’d be surprised if this was the final agreement, although whatever does go to a vote probably won’t change substantially. There will probably be some changes to mollify some folks but I’d be wary of listening too hard to the Anna Soubrys, Boris Johnsons or Rebecca Long-Baileys of the world who wrote their rejection lines years ago. Clearly this document isn’t the one word ‘remain’ or ‘leave’ that would have been the only thing some could accept. It’s how the more moderate voices react that will be more interesting I think.

On that point I noticed than Ken Clark said yesterday he'd probably be able to accept and compromise on the deal.

Watching everything Brexit from the sidelines I now despair of being able to trust any political party for the foreseeable future. The Tories seem intent on imploding over Brexit and no one amongst their ranks shows any sort of statesmanship or concern for the middle ground of this country and sadly Labour seem to be following a similar path in that their future world is seemly geared to only those with left wing sympathies. Ok, I'm probably over egging the pudding and influenced by the TV and media rather than taking an active interest, but all I see in our current poiltical system is chaos, dishonesty and bias, be it left or right. The lions share of the voting populace of the UK don't have a strong leaning for one party or another and it strikes me that we will see more and more apathy at general elections because of that and the lack of leadership from any of the so called 'players' in the parties.

Watching everything Brexit from the sidelines I now despair of being able to trust any political party for the foreseeable future. The Tories seem intent on imploding over Brexit and no one amongst their ranks shows any sort of statesmanship or concern for the middle ground of this country and sadly Labour seem to be following a similar path in that their future world is seemly geared to only those with left wing sympathies. Ok, I'm probably over egging the pudding and influenced by the TV and media rather than taking an active interest, but all I see in our current poiltical system is chaos, dishonesty and bias, be it left or right. The lions share of the voting populace of the UK don't have a strong leaning for one party or another and it strikes me that we will see more and more apathy at general elections because of that and the lack of leadership from any of the so called 'players' in the parties.

Ha! Remember (reading about) the Repeal of the Corn Laws for O level History? The Tories could be out of power for some time.

I saw a tweet, that was on the lines of "being a political moderate" but having no party to vote for. Corbyn would trounce May if only he backed a "peoples vote" as it is, he's unelectable.

Back