• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Brexit negotiations thread

There is an Iraq thread there waiting to be used. Corbyn voted against sending troops in as did McDonnell and Abbot. Strange that people seize on a decision made 16 years ago when trying to critique Labour.

It's absolutely May's fault. She accepted the job of PM when the other contenders dropped out, she broke the fixed term rule and risked David Cameron's majority and called an election without a manifesto or campaign to speak of, she showed her weakness to DUP with £1bn of taxpayers money and gave a new angle of difficulty making promises to them that didn't fit other needs, she argued with her own party for 2.5+ years more than the EU, she tried to cut out Parliament even with court cases and lost MPs' trust, she told her cabinet they would agree with her rather than listen to them so they quit - drip drip 13 of them, she wasted a crucial month when she had her deal ready to go and her plan B is just the same deal after it was voted down by 230 votes to add to the three losses in one day and being found in contempt of Parliament.

Of course it is May's fault, she has made wrong turns at every given opportunity.
But I wouldn't drop names on here. I don't say who I work for or what I do. But yes, right now I'm trying to make D1ND work, both legally and technically.

You'll often find me next door....

I know exactly where you work, you forget we’ve discussed it ages ago. My point is you’re nowhere near the real Brexit action you’re simply working on one aspect of contingency planning in the same way that is happening across all departments. No need to get all stuffy about name dropping either - you don’t know what I do either but it was necessary to respond to your officious comment that you have a Brexit to deliver - you don’t, you’re not working on Brexit you’re working on what your non-ministerial department needs to do to function the day after Brexit, I.e. you’re doing your day job not working on the Brexit negotiations or the parliamentary process, so you’re not delivering Brexit you’re just doing your job.

I know exactly where you work, you forget we’ve discussed it ages ago. My point is you’re nowhere near the real Brexit action you’re simply working on one aspect of contingency planning in the same way that is happening across all departments. No need to get all stuffy about name dropping either - you don’t know what I do either but it was necessary to respond to your officious comment that you have a Brexit to deliver - you don’t, you’re not working on Brexit you’re working on what your non-ministerial department needs to do to function the day after Brexit, I.e. you’re doing your day job not working on the Brexit negotiations or the parliamentary process, so you’re not delivering Brexit you’re just doing your job.

I'm not really sure how to reply to that....

.... So I'm not.

So Labour want a new UK specific permanent customs union with the EU, yes?. One which would allow the UK a say in any future trade deals struck.

Only one slight problem with that. Under their own rules and set out in treaties the EU cannot allow it. Or, if your so keen on listening to 'experts' here what one has said.

Holger Hestermeyer, an expert in international dispute resolution at the British Academy.

"To give the UK a say in the EU's talks, the procedure, as set out in EU treaties, would need to be changed.

"A treaty change in that respect will not happen and to give the UK a say without such a change is legally doubtful and politically impossible,"

Corbyn's answer to that is, wait for it...................... 'well, we won't know until we try to negotiate it'

What a melt!

Yes the EU are in favour of the UK staying in a customs union. Their customs union, with rules and limits set by them and them alone.

Last edited:
Great stuff Spacey and Lordy, very entertaining in a panto way.....................almost H of C stuff. In particular the "my dicks bigger" exchanges. I can't decide which of you has grabbed the ball and run off with it.:Highfive:
On a serious note IS, as has been posted many times, staying in the CU ruled out as that is NOT Brexit?

The recission of the Settled Status fee is nothing more than a gesture which will be welcomed by those affected, but in the overall scheme of things is insignificant, after all, it was only introduced by the Tories very recently. It has no bearing on the intractable issue of the Irish backstop. From today's events, it is clear that May is just playing for time, stalling with no intention of changing or modifying her self imposed red lines. As ever, more concerned with trying to keep her party together and the DUP sweet rather than the national interest.

Not really.If a fee had been levied then of course other EU countries would have had no compunction in charging Brits.abroad to register for similar schemes.

Great stuff Spacey and Lordy, very entertaining in a panto way.....................almost H of C stuff. In particular the "my dicks bigger" exchanges. I can't decide which of you has grabbed the ball and run off with it.:Highfive:
On a serious note IS, as has been posted many times, staying in the CU ruled out as that is NOT Brexit?

Perhaps not the Brexit that you (or many people would like) but maybe the only one you're likely to get.

Perhaps not the Brexit that you (or many people would like) but maybe the only one you're likely to get.

There will be no partial Brexit. We cannot have our cake and eat it. It's impossible without wholesale changes to EU treaties and rules which would have to be agreed by all 27 member states. Do you honestly think that any other EU country will allow changes to be made to those treaties and rules that put the UK in a position to change or influence any future trade deals the the EU tries to do whilst at the same time being independent of 99% of other EU diktats?

We are either in THE customs union and all that entails, which in reality means no Brexit, or we are not. We, and in particular JC cannot have it both ways and the EU will be opening up a whole can of worms it wont like if it even attempts to put it forward as a viable alternative to the current status quo.

There will be no partial Brexit. We cannot have our cake and eat it. It's impossible without wholesale changes to EU treaties and rules which would have to be agreed by all 27 member states. Do you honestly think that any other EU country will allow changes to be made to those treaties and rules that put the UK in a position to change or influence any future trade deals the the EU tries to do whilst at the same time being independent of 99% of other EU diktats?

We are either in THE customs union and all that entails, which in reality means no Brexit, or we are not. We, and in particular JC cannot have it both ways and the EU will be opening up a whole can of worms it wont like if it even attempts to put it forward as a viable alternative to the current status quo.

And there was me thinking that according to BOJO you could do precisely that.Clearly you Brexiteers need to start singing from the same hymn sheet.

In any case, it would take a brave man (and certainly not me). to forecast correctly how this Brexit mess will turn out.Also worth pointing out that your own,highly idiosyncractic version of Brexit was not on the ballot paper in June 2016.

Not really.If a fee had been levied then of course other EU countries would have had no compunction in charging Brits.abroad to register for similar schemes.
The fee is already being charged and will now be refunded to those who have already paid it. Good job the EU did not resort to childish tit for tat measures in retaliation.

And there was me thinking that according to BOJO you could do precisely that.Clearly you Brexiteers need to start singing from the same hymn sheet.

In any case, it would take a brave man (and certainly not me). to forecast correctly how this Brexit mess will turn out.Also worth pointing out that your own,highly idiosyncractic version of Brexit was not on the ballot paper in June 2016.

Remember that quickly forgotten thread, The peoples vote. 52% want Brexit no deal. The reason is that's exactly what we voted for back in June 2016.

The absolute nonsense since has all been part of operation 'Democracy is not for them'. Which of course includes making May the Tory leader and the false GE.

The day after the result the German car manufactures panicked and asked for a quick deal because they fully understand a £100b trade deficit means we were in the stronger position. Every single part of project fear part 2 since has been a complete lie. We never had to go to Brussels, they should have come to us.

The best thing to emerge from of all of this, is far more people are now aware of how little we mean to the elite and how much control and power they have over most of our politicians, MSM and things like the CBI. Shame so many of the zones virtue signallers are under their spell.

By the way a good example of someone who wants to have their cake and eat it would be a 30+ year expat who still thinks he should have a vote. in British politics.

No they didn't. I know you think you're the voice of Brexit but don't claim to speak for 17.2 million people.

I simple check of the very thread you started says 51.7% Brexit no deal. I wasn't talking about the 2016 referendum.

Ok in a rare turn of events I will admit I made a mistake there.

Whilst the Zone can claim to have interest in places as far away as Auz. I doubt 17.2m would be interested in a Brexit poll.

In fairness to you I could have made it a bit clearer

Though Brexit and staying in a customs union was muted as a viable option by some Leave MPs during the referendum campaign.

Back