• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

There are large nos. who think his best position,for now anyway,is on the bench.He is highly effective only when the opposition is tiring or pushing forward.Before then he is often a luxury we can ill-afford.

Did you go to Bramall Lane Paul? He had a superb first half there.

Very Phil Brown. Far too defensive. 5 at the back, no attacking midfielders and no width.

Payne's best position is behind the front 2.

Are you happy with 7 players being asked to concentrate on defence?

It wasn't five at the back. Rea was in midfield. He was there and we were playing with a lack of width solely to accomodate Payne. It was a crazy tactic and we were all over the place. We certainly were not "far too defensive".

Payne's best position may very well be behind the front two but I don't care because I support Southend United FC and not Jack Payne FC. I enjoyed watching Payne play last week. He's an exciting and talented player and it is a treat to see someone take players on and beat them with the ball at his feet. I didn't enjoy the seven goals we conceded as a direct result of shoe-horning him into the side though.

Did you go to Bramall Lane Paul? He had a superb first half there.

No,fair point and clearly in some away games he will benefit from the extra time and space he needs.two away games I did see were Morecambe,where he gave the ball away pathetically for their first goal and more recently Col.U. where for the first 25 mins we played everything down the left (via Coker) and Payne kept losing it.Things improved as soon as Worrall was switched to the left

It wasn't five at the back. Rea was in midfield. He was there and we were playing with a lack of width solely to accomodate Payne. It was a crazy tactic and we were all over the place. We certainly were not "far too defensive".

Payne's best position may very well be behind the front two but I don't care because I support Southend United FC and not Jack Payne FC. I enjoyed watching Payne play last week. He's an exciting and talented player and it is a treat to see someone take players on and beat them with the ball at his feet. I didn't enjoy the seven goals we conceded as a direct result of shoe-horning him into the side though.

I think it's very difficult to say seven goals were shipped as a result of him being in the team.
If anything we have 'shoe-horned' Hunt into the team. The whole team, with the addition of Payne, we're playing well before he came back. You can't blame any one player.

Worked against Bury but we had an attacking mindset for that game.

This is exactly it.

Payne works fine, although it might work better if he played upfront and have Worrall and McLaughlin playing as attacking wide midfield players.

There was nothing wrong with the diamond system on Saturday, but the personnel was wrong.

Rea was drafted in to counter the threat imposed by Doncaster on the break and to solidify the midfield after shipping 4 goals, but that left us hopefully devoid of ideas going forward, with Payne, Hunt & Mooney playing far too far away from Leonard, Atkinson and Rea.

Neither White nor Coker ventured too far forward, so there wasn't any threat on the overlap.

PB set up to not concede on the break, meaning we were muddled, lacking adventure and eventually outplayed.

to carry on with Payne, I think he's best in a 4411 and could probably do pretty well behind Hunt. he's too similar to Mooney to shine I think but who knows what the transfer window may bring

There are large nos. who think his best position,for now anyway,is on the bench.He is highly effective only when the opposition is tiring or pushing forward.Before then he is often a luxury we can ill-afford.

Wouldn't disagree with you really, I was just trying to point out to mrsblue that the majority on this thread don't want to continue with Payne behind a front two.

Wouldn't disagree with you really, I was just trying to point out to mrsblue that the majority on this thread don't want to continue with Payne behind a front two.

Whatever you think of Jack he does something which most of the squad rarely does and that is score goals..11 in his last 54 appearances from midfield,1 in 5 which Mooney and Tyronne would dream of,oh well.

Were you sat behind a post?

Back