• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Think he should be organizing our per season training but it is quite interesting a hear our manager giving an update on the radio about the club.

He just said we are in an embargo but as we only have 11 registered players so can still sign another 9. He has recently sign up 4 or 5 young lads to bolster the squad, Recommended Dan B to Peter Taylor for the England under 20 squad as 'He can be anything he wants’. We have also just sold a 13 year old to Palace for £37,500.00
Wants Cresswell to give us another year but sometimes once a player has had his head turned it can be difficult.

Think he should be organizing our per season training but it is quite interesting a hear our manager giving an update on the radio about the club.

He just said we are in an embargo but as we only have 11 registered players so can still sign another 9. He has recently sign up 4 or 5 young lads to bolster the squad, Recommended Dan B to Peter Taylor for the England under 20 squad as 'He can be anything he wants’. We have also just sold a 13 year old to Palace for £37,500.00
Wants Cresswell to give us another year but sometimes once a player has had his head turned it can be difficult.

What does he mean sign up 4 or 5 young lads to bolster the squad? Is that moved up kids from the toth team?

Maybe I'm just different to the whingers, I see myself as a neutral so till we are rock bottom looking certs for relegation I welcome a relatively big name, he's barely had time to put a team together so give him a chance. Surely most of us work in business and know the importance of networking? Everyone would only be crying if we had a no one as manager who knew/could attract **** all (Tilly excluded!)

I think there's a little more to do than just signing players. I want a full-time manager and not a media whore. I want my manager to be busting his gut for the club. First in last out. Talking to players, agents, the local business community, scouts, schools, community programs etc. I want him to be setting the example that everyone else follows to drive the club forward.

I hope Brown is that man and not just a rent-a-quote who is on the radio every other day sounding like a bit of a Pratt.

To be fair plenty of other managers do media work.

Why a manager should be talking to local businesses etc I have no idea, thats not his job and why we have commercial managers etc.

Phil Brown seems to me to be a very cleaver man . Take this thought in maybe he feels that if Ron isn't going to pay either him or the players . He may as well do some media work pre season where he knows he will get payed .Also he allway puts a little word in for Southend united where he can .Cant be all bad can he :thumbsup:

Sorry, but i don't see what is wrong with him doing a bit of media, and also being manager of our club. A full-time job does not mean that it takes up your whole bloody life. For example, i am an accountant during the week, and occasionly DJ at the weekend. It is possible to do two things in life, without the 'hobby job' affecting the main job. For example, sometimes i have been asked to DJ on a Wednesday, but have to turn it down... and i would imagine Brown would turn down media work if it clashed with his role at Southend.

I can't believe how narrow minded some of you are, that people shouldn't be allowed life out-side of their main job... i trust you are all tied to your desks 24/7, 365, and don't partake in any hobbies or activities that may stop you from being able to work for one hour of the day.

Thought he was quite good from what I heard this morning. Ian Danter is always good whoever he is paired with on Talksport. Very praising of Bentley, but as Jam Man apparently told the Moose we are after David Gonzalez, ex Man City keeper. Would suggest Smith is out the door. Didnt know much about the town of Southend on the quiz though!

Thought he was quite good from what I heard this morning. Ian Danter is always good whoever he is paired with on Talksport. Very praising of Bentley, but as Jam Man apparently told the Moose we are after David Gonzalez, ex Man City keeper. Would suggest Smith is out the door. Didnt know much about the town of Southend on the quiz though!

According to wiki he never made an appearance for city but a couple for Brighton and Barnsley.

Some people do get easily upset. We have embargoes, players not getting paid, winding up orders and several players out of contract with no sign of them staying and people are unhappy that our manager is doing some media work.

To be honest, I couldn't care less if he does it or not and what else would he do? Sit at home twiddling his thumbs waiting for the embargoes to be lifted?

We now have an assistant manager who can help organise pre-season and a cheif scout who can be on the look out for potential signings. Brown is out there raising the profile of the club by giving us some attention that isn't about us going to court owing taxes or a player going to prison.

I'm not a fan of Brown, but I really don't see the problem and it's not like he is on there several hours a day.

I generally listen to talksport on my way into work and was sceptical when I tuned in this morning to hear our permatanned northerner on the radio. However, I actually thought he was excellent. Much better than a majority of the guest presenters they have had in since irani got the boot. Was good to hear him talk so highly of dan bentley and how he tried to get him into the u20 England squad and how he will be number 1 next season... Must be good for bentley to be praised on national radio by your gaffer. also happy to speak about the embargo etc. I did think he his views on the eppp, which is stacked in big clubs favour, belied where he saw his rightful place but I found him an interesting listen.

Seems he has been seduced by Ron and the new stadium ******** but otherwise came across as very intelligent guy who tool an interest in other sports and their methods of preparation. Check out my past posts on what I think of brown and how things will end (ie I'm not a fan) but I thought he did himself a power of good this morning.

A football manager talking about football. And probably getting paid a bit of extra dosh along the way? What a moron. Can't believe he's making the most out of his career.

You speak for every one then do you rib999 .Sorry to tell you not every one dislikes Phil brown

fair comment. Should have said I, not we! Apologies.
however as the thread has developed you can see I'm not alone. He was a strange appointment.

Back