• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pubey

So since the end of last season Phil Brown has signed the following players. Quite simple really, give them a rating out of 10. Feel free to also summarise Phil Brown's overall results in the transfer market.

Transfers:
Noel Hunt
Anthony Wordsworth
Luke O'Neill
David Mooney
Stephen McLaughlin
Franck Moussa

Loans:
Glen Rea
Glen Kamara
Sam McQueen
Piotr Malarczyk
Joe Pigott
Stephen Hendrie
Tyrone Barnett
Jamar Loza

I'll have a go, but I've not seen THAT many games, so my ratings aren't that valid.

Transfers:
Noel Hunt - 2 (gamble that failed)
Anthony Wordsworth - 7
Luke O'Neill - 0 (who?)
David Mooney - 2 (bad signing)
Stephen McLaughlin - 4
Franck Moussa - No rating as not played. Could be 0 could be 10

Loans:
Glen Rea - 3
Glen Kamara - 4
Sam McQueen - 7
Piotr Malarczyk - not played
Joe Pigott - 2 (shadow of the player he was)
Stephen Hendrie - 3
Tyrone Barnett - 8 (best by far)
Jamar Loza - 2 (waste)

In summary, it's been **** poor except for Barnett.

I'll have a go, but I've not seen THAT many games, so my ratings aren't that valid.

Transfers:
Noel Hunt - 2 (gamble that failed)
Anthony Wordsworth - 7
Luke O'Neill - 0 (who?)
David Mooney - 2 (bad signing)
Stephen McLaughlin - 4
Franck Moussa - No rating as not played. Could be 0 could be 10

Loans:
Glen Rea - 3
Glen Kamara - 4
Sam McQueen - 7
Joe Pigott - 2 (shadow of the player he was)
Stephen Hendrie - 3
Tyrone Barnett - 8 (best by far)
Jamar Loza - 2 (waste)

In summary, it's been **** poor except for Barnett.

I agree with all the above EXCEPT for Macca,I think he is decent so give him 7.

So since the end of last season Phil Brown has signed
Transfers:
Noel Hunt -1 ( he has cost us a lot of cash)
Anthony Wordsworth 7 look like he has a bit of class, sometimes
Luke O'Neill would not like to say
David Mooney 6/7 has one a few pens, works quite hard.
Stephen McLaughlin 4/5 no played that much
Franck Moussa 0 can't judge not played, could be a crock, we don't know.

Loans:
Glen Rea who ? Don't want to comment
Glen Kamara 4 not all that, hype
Sam McQueen oh that pass? To jack, the old saying, one swallow don't make a summer? 4
Piotr Malarczyk who ? Neeeeeet
Joe Pigott lived of that goal, it don't rub with me 4
Stephen Hendrie who
Tyrone Barnett the best, got goals on his first game but was really slow, I was worried, got his fitness up and works really hard, tackles good for a striker, that's rare 8+
Jamar Loza I don't buy into this pace, I've seen the balls over the top, he does not look all that fast, like he was last time ( not the same person?) 4

Stephen Hendrie a 3, Glen Rea 3 and agreed by mrsblue. You did state you don't go much, again a bit like mrsblue. I can only presume you didn't see Hendrie play or maybe as its a thread with endless opportunity to slag PB, again like mrsblue you don't want to miss out.

So since the end of last season Phil Brown has signed
Transfers:
Noel Hunt -1 ( he has cost us a lot of cash)
Anthony Wordsworth 7 look like he has a bit of class, sometimes
Luke O'Neill would not like to say
David Mooney 6/7 has one a few pens, works quite hard.
Stephen McLaughlin 4/5 no played that much
Franck Moussa 0 can't judge not played, could be a crock, we don't know.

Loans:
Glen Rea who ? Don't want to comment
Glen Kamara 4 not all that, hype
Sam McQueen oh that pass? To jack, the old saying, one swallow don't make a summer? 4
Piotr Malarczyk who ? Neeeeeet
Joe Pigott lived of that goal, it don't rub with me 4
Stephen Hendrie who
Tyrone Barnett the best, got goals on his first game but was really slow, I was worried, got his fitness up and works really hard, tackles good for a striker, that's rare 8+
Jamar Loza I don't buy into this pace, I've seen the balls over the top, he does not look all that fast, like he was last time ( not the same person?) 4

Why don't you post under your other name.:winking:

I thought I was valid, a season ticket holder and been to a few away games. I will not big up player I don't rate. And hunt can stay at home and wipe his new baby's backside. It's just my opinion X

Hunt 3- Good when fit but been injured more than he has been fit.
Wordsworth 7- Best permanent signing, would have been even better if he didn't have that spell out injured.
O'Neill 1- Pointless
Mooney 5- Would rather we'd signed someone else but not as bad as people make out.
McLaughlin 5- Same as Hunt but a higher rating as he has potential to come good in the seasons to come.

Loans:
Rea 2- Was OK when he played but didn't play much at all, usually limited to substitute appearances out of position.
Kamara 2- Some good games and some bad games, not played enough, pointless signing.
McQueen 4- Been decent enough when played but hasn't really added anything so was also a pointless signing.
Pigott 1- Should have signed someone based on ability not one goal.
Hendrie 7- Don't understand the poor ratings, Very impressive when covering Coker which is all he was brought in to do. Don't actually think Coker has been as good as Hendrie since returning from injury.
Barnett 10- You'd find it very hard to sign a better striker on loan in January. Has had a few poor games but has been very good alsongside Payne the rest of the time. Has also been very hardworking in most games which goes against the lazy tag he came with.
Loza 1- Another pointless loan signing.

Stephen Hendrie a 3, Glen Rea 3 and agreed by mrsblue. You did state you don't go much, again a bit like mrsblue. I can only presume you didn't see Hendrie play or maybe as its a thread with endless opportunity to slag PB, again like mrsblue you don't want to miss out.

I have to agree, to give Hendrie a 3 is an insult. The guy was one of the best signings we've made this season, along with Barnett.

Of the other notables McLaughlin is a good signing and now that he;s back fit he's showing it. Wordsworth is also a quality player when he puts in the effort (which he needs to improve IMHO).

Hendrie was class and part of the back five that done really well in the games after Peterborough away. As soon as the back five was ditched, after Hendrie left and Coker returned, our defense has looked incredibly shaky. Just because we had one off day at Scunthorpe, Brown ditched the formation, ridiculous. Hendrie should of stayed.

Transfers:
Noel Hunt 2 Looks classy when fit but he just isn't

Anthony Wordsworth 6 He's good when our ears are pricked and going well

Luke O'Neill 6 The 352 we were playing in January really suited him as a wing back but he looks very suspect at full back

David Mooney 5 He's a good finisher at this level but it just hasn't worked. We don't play a system to suit him

Stephen McLaughlin 5.5 Another one who's good when fit, he just needs to get himself fit and I think he'll be a good player with a run in the side

Franck Moussa N/A Not fair to rate him

Loans:
Glen Rea 3 Pretty pointless signing, couldnt get a game at centre back yet he got the odd game in midfield when we already had one of if not the biggest collection of midfielders in the league

Glen Kamara 5.5 He's hit and miss

Sam McQueen 6 You can tell the lad has something but I'm not sure where he's best suited, is he a winger or a number 10?

Piotr Malarczyk N/A same as Moussa

Joe Pigott 0 Crap

Stephen Hendrie 8 Really rated this guy and with Coker's recent form I think it's been a mistake not doing more to keep him here

Tyrone Barnett 7 Nice purple patch at the start of his loan, the goals have dried up a little but he's a big powerhouse centre forward, he has enough pace for a big man, pretty much all you want from a lower league striker

Jamar Loza 0 See Pigott comment

Transfers:
Noel Hunt - 6 - showed class and I think has made more of an impact than we have been able to see
Anthony Wordsworth - 8 - based on when fit
Luke O'Neill - 6
David Mooney - 5
Stephen McLaughlin - 6
Franck Moussa - Who knows, maybe 10

Loans:
Glen Rea - 5
Glen Kamara - 6
Sam McQueen - 7
Piotr Malarczyk - ?
Joe Pigott - 5
Stephen Hendrie - 9
Tyrone Barnett - 8
Jamar Loza - 1 - Still pony

Transfers:
Noel Hunt - 6 - showed class and I think has made more of an impact than we have been able to see
Anthony Wordsworth - 8 - based on when fit
Luke O'Neill - 6
David Mooney - 5
Stephen McLaughlin - 6
Franck Moussa - Who knows, maybe 10

Loans:
Glen Rea - 5
Glen Kamara - 6
Sam McQueen - 7
Piotr Malarczyk - ?
Joe Pigott - 5
Stephen Hendrie - 9
Tyrone Barnett - 8
Jamar Loza - 1 - Still pony

Ditto from me!

Hendrie was excellent in the games I saw him. Perhaps people are confusing him with someone else. Hunt always a gamble but has shown to be excellent when playing.

Transfers:
Noel Hunt - 3 made of glass and has cost us a lot of money. Too old to turn it around now I believe
Anthony Wordsworth - 6 shows every now and then he's a really good player but keeps picking up injuries
Luke O'Neill - 5 decent enough, has a lot to learn when defending for me though
David Mooney - 3 scored a couple pens an only 2-3 in normal play. Given chance after chance but never took it. Always offside and lacks a football brain. Whoever scouted him should have realised his days have passed after being quite decent in his younger years
Stephen McLaughlin - 4 clearly a good player but always ill or injured, we need him on the pitch
Franck Moussa - not played but another crock

Loans:
Glen Rea - 4 player out of posistion a lot but nothing special
Glen Kamara - 4 only seen him once and he was OK
Sam McQueen - 6.5 set up a few and scored a few. still has a lot to learn but he's a good player who I can see getting better the more he plays
Joe Pigott - minus 99, he was interested in being the first time round let alone the second time. the kid will be his own worst enemy with his poor work rate and attitude. I never forgot his comments shortly after we won the playoffs and he openly said he didnt like it here.
Stephen Hendrie - 6 good going forward but a little suspect defending but a good player
Tyrone Barnett - 8 best of the loanees easily, can actually hold the ball up. works really hard. scores goals. sign him up.
Jamar Loza - 4 he has pace but is that it??????

Hendrie was class and part of the back five that done really well in the games after Peterborough away. As soon as the back five was ditched, after Hendrie left and Coker returned, our defense has looked incredibly shaky. Just because we had one off day at Scunthorpe, Brown ditched the formation, ridiculous. Hendrie should of stayed.

PB definitely wanted Hendrie to stay so as to continue the back five. Hendrie was more than happy to stay and showed a brilliant attitude towards our club, just what we want. West Ham liked what they saw but the people with the purse strings have the final say and they did not want to see Coker sitting in the stands.

In our position we have to make do and finances, rightly, have to take priority. Hendrie was a great loan signing for many reasons, including the nearest PL team being more than happy with our handling of their £1m player.

Whether you like West Ham or not they are going places and the loan system is here to stay. So that loan was very important for our future. If we want to progress we will only do so by being loaned some quality players rather than the Pigott's, Cassidy and Loza's of the world. Who lets face it were earmarked for release by their parent club's and were given a last chance at Southend.

PB definitely wanted Hendrie to stay so as to continue the back five. Hendrie was more than happy to stay and showed a brilliant attitude towards our club, just what we want. West Ham liked what they saw but the people with the purse strings have the final say and they did not want to see Coker sitting in the stands.

In our position we have to make do and finances, rightly, have to take priority. Hendrie was a great loan signing for many reasons, including the nearest PL team being more than happy with our handling of their £1m player.

Whether you like West Ham or not they are going places and the loan system is here to stay. So that loan was very important for our future. If we want to progress we will only do so by being loaned some quality players rather than the Pigott's, Cassidy and Loza's of the world. Who lets face it were earmarked for release by their parent club's and were given a last chance at Southend.

Changes next season, basically scrapping emergency loans. Good news IMO as I'm not a fan of short terms loans unless its injury of with view to sign.

As always you make some decent points but I feel everyone is being far too harsh on Joe Piggott. He did a lot more than score the equalizer at wembley. He was very much part of the team that got us to the play offs in the first place. I for one was gutted it didn't work out for him, and us.
David Mooney is a very good player and I can't get why it isn't happening for him. With a few on here when it comes to Noel Hunt I'm afraid. One of a long line of over 30 somethings forwards who seem to have conned the club in signing for a juicy swan song.

Well I agree, it did seem that all parties wanted Hendrie to stay and yet he didn't. It must of been a financial thing. Nevertheless, it still confused my as to why Coker couldn't then replace Hendrie in the back five. I always thought he would be suited to it and yet, Brown changed it straight away.

On the finances discussion, Brown subtly said something in the Echo a few weeks ago on the topic of our inconsistency. Something along the lines of, 'players might think about financial constraints and embargo's but we can't use that as an excuse'. This comment kind of went under the radar, maybe because it was in the midst of another article. However, I didn't think we had an official embargo during Brown's tenure, unless there has been one unofficially? Hence not prolonging Hendrie's loan.

Although I think Phil Brown has done a reasonable job here many of his signings have been only average, our limited budget may not help. But, IMO our four best players are Payne, Bentley, Leonard and Coker, only one a Brown signing. If we were without Bentley, Payne and Leonard where would we be in the league table?

Back