• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Richard_Cadette

The Realist
After a long and laborious drive home, and a distint lack of sleep, I just wanted to air my thoughts on last nights game.

POSITIVES

Defence - For the first time this season, looked very strong asa Unit. I have been saying it for a couple of months now, and finally it happened, and Lewis Hunt was played at right back. He gave the defense a much strong look on the right hand side. The biggest plus for me, however, was Peter Clarke.

He has not enjoyed the best of starts for us, and has come in for some stinging criticism recently, from myself included, but last night he was magnificent. MOTM by a country mile. He looked every bit the £250,000 centre half we hoped he would be. If he continues like that, he will become a rock in our back four. Credit as well to AB, who again I have been critical of recently, but looked superb last night, and seemed to forge a very nice partnership with Clarke.

Simon Francis on the right wing was an interesting decision by Tilly, but one I have to say, last night at least, worked. I have been his biggest critic since he signed, but last night, he did have a very good game, and perhaps has just shown us that Right Back indeed wasnt his best position. He ran with the ball, whipped in some decent crosses, and apart from a few poor first touches, did very well.

The performance as a whole last night was very good, in the second half in particular, I thought we were streets ahead of our hosts, and when the board came up with 5 minutes on it at the end, I would think it was the Burnley fans who would have been more worried. We took the game to them, and as the game went on, you could almost visibly see the confidence flowing back into the team, playing it around very comfortably, looking sharp and incisive and fighting for every loose ball. Burnley wont have many tougher home games than that this season.

NEGATIVES

Only one really, with all our possession, all our chances, and all the good positions we got in, we still couldnt win the game. Whilst the performances over the last two games have been massive improvments, based on the efforts, we should be sitting here with 6 points out 6 from the two games, and I dont believe we will ever get a better chance of getting our first away win.

People will say that a 0-0 draw away at second placed Burnley is a good result, and whilst many would have taken that before kick off, those who were there will surely have left, as I did, thinking in the end, it was actually 2 points dropped rather than 1 gained.

Onwards and upwards though, and if the confidence remains, then Ipswich this weekend should be a cracker. They clearly cant defend for toffee (1-5, 2-3 in there last 2 home games) and we are not adept at keeping clean sheets, so anyone for a 5-5?

I wouldn't say its two points dropped, both teams had decent chances and the game could have gone either way.

Altough if Freddy had stuck away the chance he had at the start second half things might have been different!

But I'm taking alot of heart from the performnace and hope we can push on from here and put together a little run of results.

I don't know i would have to say it is 2 points dropped and one gained
laugh.gif
because it is ... But the overall positive is the way we played as a team unit.

Hunt was MOTM, but all defence solid, and Clarkie put in a storming performance too.

We had chances, but generally looked as though we could do so much better if only those on the wing, mostly Mr Gower, were prepared to take folk on.

but an excellent result.

though it was a fu?£ing long way for a night game

Back