• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Can the Government find the money to pay for a truly seven day NHS?

The news had a stunning NHS story this morning,

166 patients had a budget of £2,300,000 to spend on such medicines as

Sat Nav
Summer house
Holidays
Clothes
Video games and sundries

Whilst expensive drugs are being denied,madness.

The news had a stunning NHS story this morning,

166 patients had a budget of £2,300,000 to spend on such medicines as

Sat Nav
Summer house
Holidays
Clothes
Video games and sundries

Whilst expensive drugs are being denied,madness.

This was only in Northamptonshire,how much is the total cost across the country.

Unfortunately the NHS is rife with ineffectiveness, personal greed, managers too full of their own self importance and huge waste from the top down, and that won't change anytime soon. Although I cherish the idea of a free for all at the point of need NHS I fear the ideal is dying on it's arse. There will come a point whereby it becomes too much of a financial burden on the government/taxpayer and slowly but surely we'll see society turn to a more pay as you go/insurance based medical service.

Unfortunately the NHS is rife with ineffectiveness, personal greed, managers too full of their own self importance and huge waste from the top down, and that won't change anytime soon. Although I cherish the idea of a free for all at the point of need NHS I fear the ideal is dying on it's arse. There will come a point whereby it becomes too much of a financial burden on the government/taxpayer and slowly but surely we'll see society turn to a more pay as you go/insurance based medical service.

Absoulately this,

I know of one CEO of a certain trust who waltzed into the job where he remained for 20 years on a nice salary of well over 100k plus expenses,he took early redundancy at 50 receiving 250k plus an eye watering pension,he recently returned to a high role part time,again on top wages.

Absoulately this,

I know of one CEO of a certain trust who waltzed into the job where he remained for 20 years on a nice salary of well over 100k plus expenses,he took early redundancy at 50 receiving 250k plus an eye watering pension,he recently returned to a high role part time,again on top wages.

Well he must have been really good to be CEO of an NHS trust before he was 30, and then to negotiate early redundancy...

Talent of that Calibre would be worth more than 100k PA in the private sector

Well he must have been really good to be CEO of an NHS trust before he was 30, and then to negotiate early redundancy...

Talent of that Calibre would be worth more than 100k PA in the private sector

You cannot be further from the truth I'm afraid,

The bloke was an idiot and buffoon,he was clueless in health care and spent most of his time either playing golf or going on fact finding foreign jaunts,He had friends in very high places hence why he had the job in the first instance.

With his pension,this guy so far has trousered in excess of 4 million.

Sadly this thread has been high-jacked from it's original intention. The question was can the Government find the money to pay for a truly seven-day NHS. Whether there is waste in certain aspects of the NHS is irrelevant to the question, its about whether the Government can find the money.

By all means post the same post twice if it makes you feel better, but maybe do it as a separate new post

No I want to hear about some bloke MrsBlue knows, you know like the league two footballer who retired on 3 grand a month for the rest of his life.

A good thread turned into a Daily Mail comments section just to make a change.

:facepalm:

You cannot be further from the truth I'm afraid,

The bloke was an idiot and buffoon,he was clueless in health care and spent most of his time either playing golf or going on fact finding foreign jaunts,He had friends in very high places hence why he had the job in the first instance.

With his pension,this guy so far has trousered in excess of 4 million.

And yet he lasted 20 years. He must have been doing something right.

Sadly this thread has been high-jacked from it's original intention. The question was can the Government find the money to pay for a truly seven-day NHS. Whether there is waste in certain aspects of the NHS is irrelevant to the question, its about whether the Government can find the money.

By all means post the same post twice if it makes you feel better, but maybe do it as a separate new post

How can the government find extra money when billions are being wasted now?,assume they find an extra 50 billion,how much of that will be wasted?

Just like you or me,spend spend spend and we are always chasing the pound ,save save save and we will be a whole lot better off.

Now you and JM think I have hijacked this thread which took nearly 2 hours for the first reply,I will swerve it and leave for others.

How can the government find extra money when billions are being wasted now?,assume they find an extra 50 billion,how much of that will be wasted?

Just like you or me,spend spend spend and we are always chasing the pound ,save save save and we will be a whole lot better off.

Now you and JM think I have hijacked this thread which took nearly 2 hours for the first reply,I will swerve it and leave for others.

Lots of posts was never my reason for putting this up. It was to give it some air time and give people the chance to see what the BMA had to say. And if they wanted to, to add their signatures. It's had over 100 views by folk so that will do me. Swerve on!

Unfortunately you cannot ignore the waste that is going on already in the NHS as it has a direct relevance to whether they can afford a truly 7 day system. Having worked in hospitals I agree that it certainly isn't a 7 day system. When the pictures of consultants were coming out saying they were working weekends obviously made big news, the health secretary was right, there are nowhere near as many senior doctors working weekends as there are in the week.
Whilst the above poster put her point across fairly badly, she does have a point about the huge amounts of money they are wasted that could go on more weekend GP's to save the A+E services, improved drugs to treat people. Like any large system there is always going to be waste but the NHS needs drastic action to change things around.

There is so much money wasted In the NHS, it's such a large organization (UK biggest employers)
what's needed is a complete overhaul and that's down to the government to sort, if more money needed poss raise taxs,

I think what's needed is a long term plan, especially regarding training of health staff, may cost a lot but can you put a price on HEALTH

And was CEO of a Trust before he was 30 ...it certainly sounds like he knew what he was doing....

I know i stated I would not partake in this thread again,but what the hell.

The only thing he was good at was making sure the budget was fully spent.

Those who don't know,
Annual budget with any surplus will result in reduced budget the following year,the money mountain wastage was incredible.

One of the units which had 11 clients spent £10,000 per annum on milk,the milkman was always smiling:winking:

I know i stated I would not partake in this thread again,but what the hell.

The only thing he was good at was making sure the budget was fully spent.

Those who don't know,
Annual budget with any surplus will result in reduced budget the following year,the money mountain wastage was incredible.

One of the units which had 11 clients spent £10,000 per annum on milk,the milkman was always smiling:winking:

65cac15847c195782ee218dd0ba51ce3.jpg

Ok here goes. I Have spent most of my working life in the NHS. Operating theatres....gp surgery....currently A&E.
There are a fair few issues with a seven day NHS.....firstly let me state that I believe strongly in a seven Day NHS and let me also state there is already a lot of seven day NHS occurring. Come and see me on a Sunday at work and we are doing just the same as a Tuesday.
I think a lot of the 'headlines' are nudging at access to GPs. What If I said to you around 50% of people attending A&E actually shouldn't be near the department......if decent GP access was an option.
Coupled with a quite simply outrageous expectation level from the public who simply expect a magic wand to be waved for the smallest issues.
I have a passion for looking after people, it's what I do (seven days a week for the record) a whole new way of getting GP access right should be the priority.....yes it will cost money no doubt but that's the bottom line. We need more doctors working different....not essentially more but different hours. The age old mentality of Monday to Friday GP has to be obliterated. The notion of not being sick at the weekend is laughable.
A very simplistic issue is also a simple numbers thing.....this country is overpopulated the NHS serves millions and millions of people all the time.
Public health education improvement is a must too. People need to know about lifestyle choices....minor illness treatments....simple childhood illnesses etc.

Absoulately this,

Name Him ?

Back