• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

He is being fouled. But they are very soft free kicks and he knows exactly what he doing. He is looking for the foul as opposed to diving. It's clever play and is IMO something he would have learned whilst at Chelsea, perhaps not directly from the coaches but perhaps from other players.

Like I say I love it when he wins us freekicks in decent positions but if he was on the opposition doing the same I'd be pretty p*ssed off with him. I also think its no surprise that Granty is often the centre of these brawls that our players sometimes get caught up in such as Accrington away this year.

I agree with all that. The problem is that with some of our defenders that we've seen (Adam "Cuddles" Barrett, Peter "I just can't help but touch him" Clarke) are more frustrating than the opponent who uses that to their advantage. Soft free-kicks are frustrating, but tend to be down to either indiscipline from the defender, or just superior skill by the attacker.

Lee Trundle gets my vote as well. His performances for Swansea - on Freddy's debut and in their 2-1 win the following season - were two of the best I've ever seen from an opposition player at Roots Hall. He was inches away from scoring a breathtaking goal from the kick-off straight after our fourth goal in the former game, and in the latter he made a class player in Spencer Prior look like a schoolkid.

And like many others I admire Akinfenwa as well. His partnership with Trundle while at Swansea was immense, and he's the only striker that Dervite struggled to cope with during his spell with us when we faced the Cobblers towards the end of that season. If he had more mobility he'd be a Championship player at least.

I can appreciate an opposition player, but not if they're playing for Col Ewe Leyton Ooze or Scum Ham, it fair near broke my heart when Chrissy Powell (my lord) signed for the scummers :'(

Going back a long time & before I moved to Southend & became a Shrimper, Laurie Cunningham & John Chedozie. Both players were class, especially Cunningham who was a legend.

It is very awkward now admitting that, but when you're Grandfather & Uncle & Borient fans, its a no brainer as to where I was going to be taken to watch football. Thankfully I was never a fan of the team!

I think the sure sign a player is obviously a good player is the amount of stick he get from the crowd!

Another vote for Lee Trundle. Also Junior Agogo, going back a few years Dave Gilbert a short blonde haired midfielder at Northampton and Grimsby he always seemed to score against us.

Luke Rodgers...........Annoying little **** against us at both Shrewsbury and Port Vale.
yeh luke rodgers the guy that always used to take his shirt off as soon as the final whistle went, built like a tank for a little guy, not affraid to put the boot in either.

When Coventry beat us 5-0 in the League Cup Peter Ndlovu absolutely ripped us to shreads creating all 5 IIRC, he got a standing ovation when he was subbed, the only time i've seen RH bestow such upon an opponent

When Coventry beat us 5-0 in the League Cup Peter Ndlovu absolutely ripped us to shreads creating all 5 IIRC, he got a standing ovation when he was subbed, the only time i've seen RH bestow such upon an opponent

Kinkladze also got a similar reception when he destroyed us.

Going back a few years I remember Dean Windass playing against us for Bradford. He was getting loads of stick off the crowd anyway and then their keeper got sent off (Possibly Donovan Ricketts?) and Windass went in goal. I think we went on to win the game but Windass pulled off a number of half decent stops which whilst frustrating at the time was quite good to see.
Reason Windass was getting so much stick was because he bit one of our players previous time we'd met IIRC, a trick he pulled more than once.

Akinfenya . no one that big should be any good . i even admired his goal against us this year, whilst obviously hating it at the same time. we all sing you fat bar steward, but its all muscle

Back