• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cannibalism - Would you? Could you?

Bielzibubz

President
I've just watched an absolutely fascinating programme on the NG channel about the history of cannibalism and it got me thinking. (Dangerous I know but it happens from time to time) Would/could I, given the right circumstances, ever consider eating the flesh of another human being, whether that be a friend or a complete stranger. After watching this programme I honestly think I could, and probably would.

Now i know that the mere thought of eating the flesh of another human being is a complete anathema to every right thinking person consider this before you answer. One of the last stages of starvation when the human body has shut down all non essential organs to preserve strength is to switch off the Cerebral Cortex, the part of the brain that deals with rational thought such as ethics, morals, love etc etc and the person more of less reverts back to basics where survival is all that matters.

Imagine a situation, no matter how unlikely in this day and age. ie lost and frozen in the Arctic, adrift in the middle of the Pacific. Could you, would you, succumb to the most basic of instincts and partake of the odd fore arm or slice of thigh?

Discuss.

Don't think I would. If I was on my own lost in the middle of the Arctic, I don't think my preservation instincts would be terribly strong unless there was some way of knowing that help was imminent. Tend to think I'd just curl up and wait for the inevitable. God forbid I ever have to test that theory.

At the moment, they are teaching Philosophy to the Year 7's at my school (Maybe it's to heavy for them, but who knows). One of the topics was a man who lives on an Island but then discovers it is full of cannibals. Cut a long story short, the man then gets out a ham sandwich and starts to eat it in front of them, after claiming that cannibalism is wrong. But the cannibals say what's the difference between a human eating a pig compared to a human eating another human as they are both 2 types of meat.

It is interesting, but no, i'd never do it!

I wouldn't say no to a female eating my meat, but I'd struggle to perform the task myself

At the moment, they are teaching Philosophy to the Year 7's at my school (Maybe it's to heavy for them, but who knows). One of the topics was a man who lives on an Island but then discovers it is full of cannibals. Cut a long story short, the man then gets out a ham sandwich and starts to eat it in front of them, after claiming that cannibalism is wrong. But the cannibals say what's the difference between a human eating a pig compared to a human eating another human as they are both 2 types of meat.

It is interesting, but no, i'd never do it!

An interesting comparison that in parts of the Pacific cannibalism is called long pig. It may be glib to say but as a confirmed carnivore I am sure I could particularly if it saved my sorry skin.

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Basically what the programme said was [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]irrespective[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] of what your views are now, thinking with all your morals, ethics etc in tact, once starvation has reached such a point whereby it shuts down the [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Cerebral[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Cortex and all the natural brain functions that would normally keep us from doing such a thing go out the window the human being will do ANYTHING to survive. It'll go right back to basics, Neanderthal [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]stylie[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif], and your best mates lower calf muscle will look the next best thing to a medium to well[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] done Chateaubriand[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] in [/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif]Mullion[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] Sauce.[/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]

Definitely.....no question, it is all about survival. I would not hesitate to eat a fellow human being if it meant keeping myself alive.......just hope that if ever i am involved in a plane crash it is with True Blue......i will be sorted for about 6 years.

I should shut up realy considering i am flying from Glasgow to Stansted Thursday Morning

I've just watched an absolutely fascinating programme on the NG channel about the history of cannibalism and it got me thinking. (Dangerous I know but it happens from time to time) Would/could I, given the right circumstances, ever consider eating the flesh of another human being, whether that be a friend or a complete stranger. After watching this programme I honestly think I could, and probably would.

Now i know that the mere thought of eating the flesh of another human being is a complete anathema to every right thinking person consider this before you answer. One of the last stages of starvation when the human body has shut down all non essential organs to preserve strength is to switch off the Cerebral Cortex, the part of the brain that deals with rational thought such as ethics, morals, love etc etc and the person more of less reverts back to basics where survival is all that matters.

Imagine a situation, no matter how unlikely in this day and age. ie lost and frozen in the Arctic, adrift in the middle of the Pacific. Could you, would you, succumb to the most basic of instincts and partake of the odd fore arm or slice of thigh?

Discuss.

was this the progamme by any chance..
cover.w200.jpg
?

I could partake in a little bit of breast and split beef sandwich i reckon ;)

What if it was an old lady of 90....no one would have been down there for years so instead of it being like a split beef sandwich it will be more like opening a cheese toasty!!!!

:puke

What if it was an old lady of 90....no one would have been down there for years so instead of it being like a split beef sandwich it will be more like opening a cheese toasty!!!!

:puke

:D Cheers for that Dave ... in my imagination it would obviously be some buxom wench in her early 20s .. who likes to keep the grass mown :)

I would, but only if the meat were cooked. I couldn't tear into raw flesh. At least I don't think I could. Then you have to think about the logistics involved.

For example, adrift in the Pacific. That wouldn't work as there would be little cooking / prep facilities.

In the Arctic. Perhaps, but I would need an implement to chop off the leg and then the means with which to cook it.

Ideally, there would be a group of survivors, and one or two dead people. We could take it in turns to prepare the bodies, thereby giving the person who prepared the meal the option of sitting it out, if it offended their sensibilities. The others could have the meal served to them and they could pretend they were eating something other than human flesh, having not been involved in the process.

I have just read this thread and I'm a bit concerned how quickly I am planning my survival, just falling short of drawing up a cooking rota!

Isn't human flesh akin to pork?

If push came to shove, I'm sure I could manage to eat a person sandwich.

Back