• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Car Advice Needed!

Custard Splat

First XI
Hi Chaps.... help needed,

I'll soon be buying my first car (poor show for a man in my mid thirties!!) however I know less about cars than Jimmy Carr knows about comedy :stupidme:

I'm looking for a small family car to fit me, Mrs Splat and the 2 mini Splat's. Most sites I read point towards the likes of the Focus, Astra, Golf etc however I thought I seek the advice of the zone faithful.

I need advice on everything really including what car and age, where to purchase (dealer, car supermarket etc), how best to finance etc. Budget not a major issue but car will need to be financed.

Also, are these odd deals where you pay monthly but then swap your car every few years worth looking at?? I quite like the idea of a newish car every 2 or 3 years as I'm a vain *******!!

I'm open to all suggestions so over to you all!

Custard Splat

Well first of all mate your budget would probably help.

As for the 'Options' deals that the likes of Ford etc do they are excellent as its just like a lease purchase. You have the option to pay a balloon payment at the end and buy the car or chop it in and have nothing or chop it in and get a newer car. But your budget would be a great help.

Ford Mondeo is your answer

Cheap Parts
Reasonable Style
Cheap to run
Large Modifying community (if your into that)
Not expensive to buy

failing that get a focus for something smaller but with more flair

Go for the Golf! More reliable than a Ford & a better car to drive. If you get a diesel, it will also be more economical. Mondeo are ok, but there are a lot of ex-repmobiles about & although they may have motorway miles on them, most company cars are caned & mistreated, mine apart!

The Focus is a nice motor but depending on age, they have a lot of electrical problems. I don't know if the newer ones are better, but of the Fords, they are by far the superior option.

The Vauxhalls (mainly Astras) we've had at work around the 02 plate, were nightmares. One had a new engine after no time at all & the after sales care was abysmal! So bad that we won't have them for comapany cars anymore! The majority of the company fleet are German cars, Audi's (which is what I have) BMW (knobmobile!) & Golfs. The only problem car out of the lot was a BMW driven & that was thrashed!

Pick the bones out of that!!! Golfs would be my choice (after my A3 of course!) or a new-ish Focus. Avoid the Mondeo, as it be would a bit like Russian Roulette!!

Good luck!

Last edited:
Also don't be caught in the trap of getting a Diesel because you think it might save you money in the long run, you'll end up paying more for the car outright and in servicing costs so unless you're doing high mileage (15-20K a year+) I'd stick to a petrol.

Leasing could be something to think about with the way that a new cars value depreciates in this age, a friend of mine picked up a brand new BMW Z4 recently on a 4 year lease so will get a nice shiney new one when the lease is up.

Citroen do an excellent 3 year lease deal which I have adhered to for the last 3 cars. You can have the free service or free road tax deal and the choice is right across the entire range. Yes I am very aware that they are French and I have a reputation for disliking everything France related but Citroen have really got their act together and produce some decent motors now, far superior to Renault and Peugeot. The C4 Picasso is one of the most popular family cars on the market and is very reliable. I gage cars on the amount I get called out to and Citroen is way down the list. Up to you of course but I'm very happy with them.

have a read of the car-by-car breakdown guide over at www.honestjohn.co.uk

Also consider the road tax costs (can't remember the site).

It might be worth running a few dummy insurance quotes once you've narrowed the choice down - it could help the decision.. once you've got a decent quote, then do it again via Quidco (www.quidco.com) just to see if you can get some cashback on the deal.

Remember - running a car can become a 'moneypit'

The Focus is a nice motor but depending on age, they have a lot of electrical problems. I don't know if the newer ones are better, but of the Fords, they are by far the superior option.

Where did you get that info? I own a 2003 Focus and am a member of a couple of large owners clubs and I have not heard of any reoccuring electrical issues. If anything the biggest downfall of early Focus is rust, especially on the door where it meets the wing mirror and around the rear number plate trim, typical Ford!

If your tempted by a Golf then consider the Skoda Octavia instead. Under the shell it's the same car as the Golf/A3 but much better value, you don't pay a premium for the badge. I have been looking at Octavia VRS's recently and was impressed with them!

Remember it's a buyers market at the moment, whatever you decide on haggle and haggle hard, don't be afraid to walk away if your not 100% happy with the deal.

I have a reputation for disliking everything France related but Citroen have really got their act together and produce some decent motors now.

Same here (recently suggested a gun boat to one of our suppliers delayed by the French blockade) but a few years back I bought a second hand Citroen Xsara (I felt unclean doing so). Have to say I'm really happy with it. It's not spectacular at anything, but a good, solid all round performer.

Where did you get that info? I own a 2003 Focus and am a member of a couple of large owners clubs and I have not heard of any reoccuring electrical issues. If anything the biggest downfall of early Focus is rust, especially on the door where it meets the wing mirror and around the rear number plate trim, typical Ford!

If your tempted by a Golf then consider the Skoda Octavia instead. Under the shell it's the same car as the Golf/A3 but much better value, you don't pay a premium for the badge. I have been looking at Octavia VRS's recently and was impressed with them!

Remember it's a buyers market at the moment, whatever you decide on haggle and haggle hard, don't be afraid to walk away if your not 100% happy with the deal.

From a mechanic at Fords i know & from my experience of a T reg Focus. Not conclusive, but I guess the early ones may have been prone to probs.

As for the Octavia, I'm not certain what the difference is, but it drove nowhere as good as the Golf I test drove & the A3 DIESEL I drive now!

Each to their own I guess, or the luck of the draw!!

After my recent experience with tempramental modern car computers (flat battery led to my immobiliser key codes being lost) I strongly recommend a Mark II Cortina because almost anything that goes wrong can be quickly and personally repaired! :'(

Last edited:
After my recent experience with tempramental modern car computers (flat battery led to my immobiliser key codes being lost) I strongly recommend a Mark II Cortina because almost anything that goes wrong can be quickly and personally repaired! :'(

Especially in particularly unclement weather on the way to Chesterfield or wherever it was??? ;)

Out of interest what cars do you get called out the most for?

Peugeot by a country mile. Piles of poo.

BMW, Mercedes and Landrover for ending up in the dealers without even looking at them.

Audi are by far and away the most reliable with VW a close second.

Throwing in a curve ball here... I've just brought my first 'expensive' car (for me!) and like the OP, done lots of searching having known nothing about cars.

I went for the Kia Cee'd. Under £10k, Diesel, 6 years warranty left and it is superb to drive.

Dont be a 'badge snob', go for the Cee'd and bask in the glow of 7 years peace of mind (new Kia's have a 7 year warranty)... oh and some of the diesel Cee'd are taxed at £35 a year and insurance group 4.

Mine was side by side with a Golf and I much preferred the look of the Cee'd...

Back