• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Charges over expenses claims

Andyhsufc

Director
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8499590.stm

3 Labour MPs and Tory Peer Lord Hanningfield have been charged with false accounting which has a maximum sentence of 7 years in jail.

I suppse the most relevant one is Lord Hanningfield as he is Head of Essex County Council.

What do people think?

Last edited:
Innocent until proven guilty but if they are, bit of prison time like your average joe would have to take - an not in a comfy open prison either.

I heard that these MP's are claiming some form of immunity over this, some ancient law? Way to kill democracy.

Innocent until proven guilty but if they are, bit of prison time like your average joe would have to take - an not in a comfy open prison either.

Doubt it MK, they would be Cat D within 2 weeks or with a few strings pulled would more likely go open within a week of allocation

How about the chap in the Metro this morning 64k Salary and claiming 192k expenses! Sickening. He only voted in 53% of cases!

Why should they be treated any different to you or I. If one of us was caught fiddling at work we would be sacked and prosecuted without question.

Why should they be treated any different to you or I. If one of us was caught fiddling at work we would be sacked and prosecuted without question.

I don't know but perhaps Lord Mandelson of Fey & Hartlepool could explain why he was not prosecuted for mortgage fraud a few years ago.

I heard that these MP's are claiming some form of immunity over this, some ancient law? Way to kill democracy.

Parliamentary privilege is a key safeguard of democracy - hence the uproar over the Damien Greene affair. I'm not sure however that it should or indeed does extend to cover fraud that is alleged in these cases.

The Lord Hanningfield case is quite disturbing. He was claiming for staying in hotels in London when it has been proven that he was elsewhere at the time. Absolute nailed on fraud. Of course he will resign from relevant post's. But let's see what justice is served to him, and the one rule for them and the one rule for us.

Last edited:
The Lord Hanningfield case is quite disturbing. He was claiming for staying in hotels in London when it has been proven that he was elsewhere at the time. Absolute nailed on fraud. Of course he will resign from relevant post's. But let's see what justice is served to him, and the one rule for them and the one rule for us.

On that note, Lord Hanningfield has resigned as leader of ECC so will be interesting to see who replaces him. He certainly wasn't the most popular leader Essex has had!

Widening the debate slightly I actually have some sympathy with most MPs.

The reason we're in the position is simply because most MPs don't get paid enough to do the job properly. The reason they don't get paid enough is because they didn't think it would look good to vote themselves a high salary. Instead an expenses system was set up. It is this that has been abused. MPs that kept to the rules and have still been asked to repay money are, IMO, rather hard done by. Regardless of whether the rules are any good or not, if you stick to them you should be OK. To have the goalposts moved retrospectively is, IMO, unfair.

Go ahead, and change the rules for the future, but to impose them retrospectively contravenes justice.

That said, for me, the way this should be dealt with is to pay MPs a decent salary and scrap the expenses system completely. Why, because if we don't pay them a decent salary and also don't pay expenses then only the very rich will be able to afford to be an MP, and the last thing we want is to have a parliament of the very rich only.

On that note, Lord Hanningfield has resigned as leader of ECC so will be interesting to see who replaces him. He certainly wasn't the most popular leader Essex has had!

Will be replaced by his deputy Peter Martin. This means that Lord H is effectively still leader of Essex CC as he will be pulling the strings from behind. Absolute cop out of a decision, and shows a complete lack of balls within the Conservatives at Essex CC.

Widening the debate slightly I actually have some sympathy with most MPs.

The reason we're in the position is simply because most MPs don't get paid enough to do the job properly. The reason they don't get paid enough is because they didn't think it would look good to vote themselves a high salary. Instead an expenses system was set up. It is this that has been abused. MPs that kept to the rules and have still been asked to repay money are, IMO, rather hard done by. Regardless of whether the rules are any good or not, if you stick to them you should be OK. To have the goalposts moved retrospectively is, IMO, unfair.

Go ahead, and change the rules for the future, but to impose them retrospectively contravenes justice.

That said, for me, the way this should be dealt with is to pay MPs a decent salary and scrap the expenses system completely. Why, because if we don't pay them a decent salary and also don't pay expenses then only the very rich will be able to afford to be an MP, and the last thing we want is to have a parliament of the very rich only.

What do MPs get paid?
Bearing in mind an average wage is this country is £20-25k IIRC...

What do MPs get paid?
Bearing in mind an average wage is this country is £20-25k IIRC...

I think their basic wage is around 68k per year though to be fair, comapred to other jobs with similar responsibilities, that isn't a huge amount. I would rather them have a basic wage of say 80k but then no expenses on top of that.

£64,766.

Compared to:
Basic consultant doctor: £74,504
District judge: £101,400
University professor (sheffield): £62,506
Newly registered nurse: £15k - £21k
Average (classroom) teacher salary - 2008 - £32k

I think that the arguement that if a MPs salary is too low it would lead to only rich people being able to become a MP is false. At around £64k a year plus expenses I'd certainly give it a go for five years, and judging by the candidates lists at election time, there's many thousands of people vying for the 650 seats.

Personally I think the old GLC building should have been turned into a place where MPs could stay over night if needed. Everything a MP could need would have been provided. No expenses would need to claimed on their own home as that's what their salary for.

I think that the arguement that if a MPs salary is too low it would lead to only rich people being able to become a MP is false. At around £64k a year plus expenses I'd certainly give it a go for five years, and judging by the candidates lists at election time, there's many thousands of people vying for the 650 seats.

Personally I think the old GLC building should have been turned into a place where MPs could stay over night if needed. Everything a MP could need would have been provided. No expenses would need to claimed on their own home as that's what their salary for.

And a perfect target for terrorists. The security bill would be immense and would probably dwarf any expenses that are already paid out.

Back