• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Charges over expenses claims

On that note, Lord Hanningfield has resigned as leader of ECC so will be interesting to see who replaces him. He certainly wasn't the most popular leader Essex has had!

Has Steve Tilson been liinked to this job yet?

I think that the arguement that if a MPs salary is too low it would lead to only rich people being able to become a MP is false. At around £64k a year plus expenses I'd certainly give it a go for five years, and judging by the candidates lists at election time, there's many thousands of people vying for the 650 seats.

Personally I think the old GLC building should have been turned into a place where MPs could stay over night if needed. Everything a MP could need would have been provided. No expenses would need to claimed on their own home as that's what their salary for.

I think the issue about only rich people being able to become MPs is probably more to do with the steps necessary to take before becoming a MP eg the unpaid researchers jobs necessary to get onto the greasy pole and the time away from paid employment necessary to run a campaign.

However the fact remains that becoming a MP isn't a financially lucrative career for the highest achievers. MPs get paid less than league one footballers. If someone is hard working and bright, they can earn more as a doctor, lawyer, banker, businessman etc and probably have better career security.

And a perfect target for terrorists. The security bill would be immense and would probably dwarf any expenses that are already paid out.

The Swedish parliament operates a system whereby parliament owns a group of fairly modest apartments in Stockholm which are then let rent free to MPs. Admittedly, the Swedes don't pursue foreign policy which marks them out as such desirable targets for the planet's foremost nutjobs, but I would imagine that security has still been taken into account.

It's actually pretty interesting to compare their parliament to ours in a broader sense. Their MPs seem to have retained a sense that government is an honourable calling rather than a money making exercise, and yet manage to do their jobs in a manner that wins approval and a level of trust in government that our politicians could only dream of.

The Swedish parliament operates a system whereby parliament owns a group of fairly modest apartments in Stockholm which are then let rent free to MPs. Admittedly, the Swedes don't pursue foreign policy which marks them out as such desirable targets for the planet's foremost nutjobs, but I would imagine that security has still been taken into account.

It's actually pretty interesting to compare their parliament to ours in a broader sense. Their MPs seem to have retained a sense that government is an honourable calling rather than a money making exercise, and yet manage to do their jobs in a manner that wins approval and a level of trust in government that our politicians could only dream of.

That didn't stop someone killing Olaf Palm a few years back.

Palme was shot in the street having declined to keep a bodyguard. It could as easily happen to Mandy over here when he goes wandering on his own.

Blimey it was 1986, as memory served me I thought he was killed outside their Parliament in Stockholm, but it was near a cinema. I can't see Mandy wandering about alone some how.

Blimey it was 1986, as memory served me I thought he was killed outside their Parliament in Stockholm, but it was near a cinema. I can't see Mandy wandering about alone some how.

He was "greenwashed" with pea soup a while back, and I read here about him wandering about without protection. I've no idea whether he makes a habit of it, but the opportunities would appear be there for an assassin.

He was "greenwashed" with pea soup a while back, and I read here about him wandering about without protection. I've no idea whether he makes a habit of it, but the opportunities would appear be there for an assassin.

That's interesting. I don't see Mandy as a target of a would be assassin as perhaps Thatcher or Blair, or possibly Major or Brown would be. He like Prescott and a lot of others are more a target for pea soup, paint or eggs. I can see the forthcoming election campaign being a whole lot of fun.

Back