• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Charlie Brooker's Screen burn

Quality, I hate those sort of adsthe T-Mobile ones where loads of people are "singing" really irritate me!

"Why call anyone? You've got free texts for life, you prick"

hahahaha!!!

I think it's a perfect summation of these sorts of campaigns that, even on the meticulously-planned ads, wee Josh's 'supergroup' sounds like the most tuneless, pointless piece of **** ever.

I read this about 30 minutes ago, how odd.

Yeah, totally agree. As someone who works in design, I hate the laziness that I see in the advertising world. I know Brooker hates on all things where the public is used to sell news / products / TV shows but in this case he has a point more than any other area.

I'd just like to know who watches it and thinks 'Oh that looks good...?'

The thing that annoys me most about that ad is the phrase 'Free texts for life'.

Followed by 'When you top up £10 each month'.

So not really that free then, are they? You ****nuggets...

If Josh ever darkens the door of my local or I catch him ****ing on my local war memorial then he won't be sending free texts to his ****ing student mates or playing musical instruments for a while..

That appalling advert just about sums up the vacuity that has characterised much of this decade. It is the 'high point', the full realisation, the moment of fruition of all the nebulous cultural currents that have infiltrated music, TV, advertising, communications etc. It is bereft of any meaning whatsoever, it is truly a void. Words cannot describe how utterly awful it is...

That appalling advert just about sums up the vacuity that has characterised much of this decade. It is the 'high point', the full realisation, the moment of fruition of all the nebulous cultural currents that have infiltrated music, TV, advertising, communications etc. It is bereft of any meaning whatsoever, it is truly a void. Words cannot describe how utterly awful it is...

I blame the internet.

In my day the only portal for new faces on TV was Crimewatch.

The idea that mediocrity can rise purely through exposure in new mediums is indicative of the something-for-nothing generation. It's just pile after pile of runny **** being thrown against a fan in the hope that some of it will be blown across the room. It's all so...so....it won't.....I can't.....

*froths*

The idea that mediocrity can rise purely through exposure in new mediums is indicative of the something-for-nothing generation. It's just pile after pile of runny **** being thrown against a fan in the hope that some of it will be blown across the room. It's all so...so....it won't.....I can't.....

*froths*

Unfortunately we dwell in a country, a world where mediocrity is applauded maybe even encouraged and where the cream drowns in a flood of averageness. These adverts and television programmes and maybe even football teams reward the misguided into believing they have been given an unbeatable talent which in turn gives them the right to superstardom and untold riches when really all it does is sinks true abilty further into the quagmire of injustice.

.....rant over (for now!)

I hate to see people making **** loads of cash for doing **** all on the back of very little talent for the sole reason that I don't.

I imagine someone like Peaches Geldoff probably earns several times what I do.

I would have cheerfully had half the country thinking I was a **** if I was trousering the sort of cash Boyzone were.

Hey if you enjoy this thread look our for Blackberry's new 'Love' advertisements. More of the same banal, patronising claptrap.

Brooker's end of the year Screenwipe is on the 22nd Dec on BBC4

Unfortunately we dwell in a country, a world where mediocrity is applauded maybe even encouraged and where the cream drowns in a flood of averageness.

Exhibit A: this season's X Factor. I saw the show about a week or so ago; rarely have I been so utterly underwhelmed.

Exhibit A: this season's X Factor. I saw the show about a week or so ago; rarely have I been so utterly underwhelmed.

Meh, the X-Factor is just another reinvention of the "talent" show format that has been on telly since the days of Hughie Green and Opportunity Knocks. People look at telly through rose tinted glasses. Apart from occasional highlights, it has always, always been crap.

Meh, the X-Factor is just another reinvention of the "talent" show format that has been on telly since the days of Hughie Green and Opportunity Knocks. People look at telly through rose tinted glasses. Apart from occasional highlights, it has always, always been crap.

Got confused for a minute then and thought you were talking about your posts on SZ :whistling:

Back