• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Charlie Kelman

No ones stock was gonna rise the direction Southend were heading. There’s nothing to say he’d have scored 15-20 goals in league 2.....that’s not easy for the most experienced strikers let alone a lad learning this trade.

By the time Southend could potentially be in the Conference he’d be 20 with a double relegation on his CV and the latest starlet 17/18 year old would be scoring goals in the championship or league 1....maybe even the Prem.

Time moves very quickly in football and your very quickly forgotten. Managers and players have to move or promote while the irons hot....if you don’t you’re a forgotten man very quickly. No one will show you any loyalty. Ever.

I'm sure you are right - pre-season I was looking forward to seeing the Kelman/Humphrys partnership up front but that seems a lifetime ago now.

We look a better side now in the last 10 games than in the first 11 games, I reckon an fully fit Humphrey & Kelman with the right professional attitude would do well, but it’s in the past now, best things for both side is to move on. Let hope an young 17 year old striker broke though for SUFC before end of the season & have an better attitude than him.

Charlie hasn’t made the bench for the last 3 games and appears to have gone back into the under 23’s. Still makes me sad that he left this season. I was so excited to see him get a proper chance and would’ve loved to see him as the main man with the likes of RHF, ANG, Ferguson, Taylor, Akinola and Holmes around him. Think he would’ve done very well.

Still can’t help but think he left a season too early, for us and for him. I really don’t think we’d be in the relegation zone if he’d stayed and I think he’d have hit double figures by now. If he’d helped stable the ship, got a full season under his belt and hit double figures, I think it would probably have been better for his development and he would’ve left with our blessings, like Bentley did.

We look a better side now in the last 10 games than in the first 11 games, I reckon an fully fit Humphrey & Kelman with the right professional attitude would do well, but it’s in the past now, best things for both side is to move on. Let hope an young 17 year old striker broke though for SUFC before end of the season & have an better attitude than him.

Leaving us when he did, shows he does have the right attitude. He didn't create the mess and its right for him at such a young age to not to risk his future.

Charlie hasn’t made the bench for the last 3 games and appears to have gone back into the under 23’s. Still makes me sad that he left this season. I was so excited to see him get a proper chance and would’ve loved to see him as the main man with the likes of RHF, ANG, Ferguson, Taylor, Akinola and Holmes around him. Think he would’ve done very well.

Still can’t help but think he left a season too early, for us and for him. I really don’t think we’d be in the relegation zone if he’d stayed and I think he’d have hit double figures by now. If he’d helped stable the ship, got a full season under his belt and hit double figures, I think it would probably have been better for his development and he would’ve left with our blessings, like Bentley did.
He couldnt get away quick enough tho could he.

Have a friend who is a QPR season ticket holder and they were expecting Charlie to go out on loan in January but it didn't happen.

Think he would of got bullied to much in league two, he made the right decision I think.

In the state the club is in, wouldn't you?
He could have hung around for a season imo. Could have kept us up and become a hero rather then got a good move up rather then rotting in the u23s somewhere. Hes only young. Naive of me perhaps.

Still i expect his signing on bonus was good.

He could have hung around for a season imo. Could have kept us up and become a hero rather then got a good move up rather then rotting in the u23s somewhere. Hes only young. Naive of me perhaps.

Still i expect his signing on bonus was good.

Yeah stay at a dead club or have the opportunity to play in the championship and treble your salary.

Tough one

QPR have got Charlie Austin back so Charlie Kelman goes back down pecking/picking/playing list. No story really imo.

This isn’t about money!!’ Why does someone always say “go to the championship and treble their money” as the way of justifying it?

Charlie went to a club that would help him improve. Believe it or not there are tools and a tool box of skills required for pro footballers that doesn’t come from playing first team football at a league 2 club thats battling to stay on the division.

Charlie missed a massive part of his education...he came up through a category 3 academy paying some other god awful academies. The technical training simply wasn’t there for a kid who was built like an adult by the time he was 16.

He then skipped 23s football and the education that serves due to the on field desperation of the first team. He then had to adapt to keep his head above water in a struggling side in a tough league using whatever survival instincts he had as opposed to learningh his craft.

I posted at the time that Charlie needed to play some 23s football. Learn different types of finishes. Learn how to bring others into play, how to make better runs against players as quick as him and most of all to become two footed. Of course I was poo-pooed because he was our bright young shining star.....among a pile of poo!

Staying at Southend could’ve potentially killed his career. He’d have found it near on impossible to score goals in this side. He’d have been bullied and blamed....well he was in September anyway so I think it’ll have got worse....

Ultimately a relegation to the national league is sometimes a step not many recover from.....

Charlie went to a good club and you know what.....the worst thing they did was stick him on the bench and use him as a number giving him 60 minutes of football in 6 months.

I’m glad they’ve seen sense and put him in the 23s to learn his craft. It’s a tough league Cat 2 U23s and he’ll have to improve technically to score his goals.

As for his money....I bet you’d be surprised.....my bet is most of his money will be in incentives and rises on X amount of appearances. His wage won’t be much more than he was on at Southend.

Yeah stay at a dead club or have the opportunity to play in the championship and treble your salary.

Tough one
Yeah depends how you look at it. Should have stayed imo.

When dan bentley hangs his boots up. What time is he gonna remember fondly.

Although Charlie is better off out of here I cannot forget what looked like lack of effort when he last played for us. I don't like to see that in a player, it's when the chips are down you see who has the right character. Hopefully he will progress his career at QPR even if things don't always go well for him.

When Dan Bentley played for us he was a key player in a promotion winning side, it made sense for him to stick around for another season to prove to potential buyers he could handle the step up. When Charlie Kelman played for us we were an awful side that could barely string two passes together, that isn't the kind of club that's going to help your career (especially as a striker where your goals per game ratio is going to plummet if there's nowhere capable of picking you out with a pass).

When Dan Bentley played for us he was a key player in a promotion winning side, it made sense for him to stick around for another season to prove to potential buyers he could handle the step up. When Charlie Kelman played for us we were an awful side that could barely string two passes together, that isn't the kind of club that's going to help your career (especially as a striker where your goals per game ratio is going to plummet if there's nowhere capable of picking you out with a pass).
I agree and can totally understand why he left. He would have probably only had to score 7 goals and would have helped save our league status. Becoming a bit of a local hero then moving upwards. One season wouldnt have made any difference if he is that good he will come good. And was already well on the radar of scouts.

Stan came to a team in the crapper and became an enduring southend legend.

Charlie asked to leave he said he was embarrassed to play for us because we was loosing every week, if that info was true then I’m glad he went!!

As for his money....I bet you’d be surprised.....my bet is most of his money will be in incentives and rises on X amount of appearances. His wage won’t be much more than he was on at Southend.
Hmmm....I'm not so sure. One of my colleagues at work, his girlfriend is in Charlie's circle of friends, and if he's not earning much more than when he was here, then I would be very surprised at some of the things that I've been told about Charlie since he left.

Back