• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Cheltenham Town 1-0 Southend Utd

I can't let that one go ... I simply wouldn't drop Dieng for anyone in our squad unless he needed resting, was injured or suspended. Same goes for Taylor over a player I haven't see play in our side yet. He'll have to prove his fitness and work his way into the team, then hopefully we have a deep set of midfielders we can maximise over the run-in.

Holmes should be rotating with RHF and Egbri imho. Although I wasn't sure where Holmes wanted to play the other night. It felt like he cut inside a lot and chased the game a bit.
Mellis was transferred for a million!! In all fairness he must be pretty decent and steve Evan's highley rated him! I think he will be a good accusition for us.

Looking at the pen again it appears that young Montgomery made up the takers mind for him;
Don't most keepers decide which direction to dive before the ball has been kicked? I've just looked at Bentley's saves against Wycombe in the playoff final and he's sets himself ages before the ball is kicked. If you haven't set yourself to dive until after the ball has been kicked it'll be in the net before your feet have even left the ground.

I will admit I didnt rate goodship but the goals he has scored have been strikers goals if u know what I mean? We also have much better players in midfield now and goodship may flourish given the chance!! Unlike acquah who has been given umpteen chances and fouled miserably!!
Agree on Goodship who may benefit from the stronger team we have now and I'll be interested to see where MM thinks he can play his best part. We'll not agree on Acquah!

Mellis was transferred for a million!! In all fairness he must be pretty decent and steve Evan's highley rated him! I think he will be a good accusition for us.

When I was 20 I was relatively fit and able to play football to a relatively good level.
I’m now 61 , knackered and on a football pitch I think my mind and body would be at loggerheads as to what I should be doing.
My point is that a player could have been sold for a big fee and be rated by many wise men of the game , but life moves on and things aren’t always what they were.

All ! If there on the bench they are fit enough! If there not fit too play then they shouldn't travel to the games at all!! Akinola looked fine when he came on the other night but apparently before he was injured?? Same with mellis been training at least a month now I'm sure he is ready!!
I don think it works like that. If Molesley thought akinola was fit enough to play the entire game AND the next game do you really think he wouldn’t have started him?

If he was so wonderful ,Yiddish he get rid of him ?????

Don't most keepers decide which direction to dive before the ball has been kicked? I've just looked at Bentley's saves against Wycombe in the playoff final and he's sets himself ages before the ball is kicked. If you haven't set yourself to dive until after the ball has been kicked it'll be in the net before your feet have even left the ground.
Granted, in fact I used to, despite it being easier to read what side the pen would go back in the day. Then could you gauge it fairly accurately from the taker's hip placement. Nowadays players contort their body shapes so unnaturally I do fear for them in later life. My point being, the guy was only just on his downswing to the ball when Montgomery committed to his left.

Off subject
Le tissier when asked said that he ran up with a clear head, brought his foot back, looked at the keeper and only then decided where he was going to put the ball. The BBC had a graphic with the goal divided into 50 squares and he had put a penalty into almost every square.
I was never sure if he was taking the **** or not but 47/48 is ant bad.

Bonus point for the name of the only keeper to save one

When I was 20 I was relatively fit and able to play football to a relatively good level.
I’m now 61 , knackered and on a football pitch I think my mind and body would be at loggerheads as to what I should be doing.
My point is that a player could have been sold for a big fee and be rated by many wise men of the game , but life moves on and things aren’t always what they were.

Are you available Saturday?

This is clearly the way it's going to be until the end of the season.Either we play it tight and squeeze a 0-0 draw (Cambridge) or sneak a narrow 1-0 win (Newport) or lose 1-0 (Bolton,Cheltenham).Clearly that great 3-0 win against FGR was an abberation.It's certainly not going to be pretty to watch and that lack of a regular goalscorer might still relegate us.

It was actually 3-1, nitpicky I know, but at least I'm paying attention:Smile:

Off subject
Le tissier when asked said that he ran up with a clear head, brought his foot back, looked at the keeper and only then decided where he was going to put the ball. The BBC had a graphic with the goal divided into 50 squares and he had put a penalty into almost every square.
I was never sure if he was taking the **** or not but 47/48 is ant bad.

Bonus point for the name of the only keeper to save one

Mark Crossley

It's not one instance though. You said he never jumps. He does, you just choose not to see it. He may not jump for balls that are sailing over his head, or when he's being leaned on by defenders, but that's fair enough. Sometimes the job of the forward is just to be in the way, to make it harder for the defender. Watch the opposition forwards they don't jump for everything either

You won't convince me. He's got lead boots!

Back