• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Cheltenham Town 1-0 Southend Utd

The margins are so tight in football, a penalty is given and we lose 1-0. If Hobson hadn't made that challenge we would have had most people saying a well earned point and onwards and upwards. Instead there is plenty of critism. I still think we will survive this season although the big worry is the lack of goal threat. A big blow was the failure to sign a big target man/striker. I can see why Emile Acqua is selected as the manager likes to have a big guy up front, a common policy at this level of football. This season may go right down to the wire but we are hard to break down and hopefully can nick a few goals to give us enough three point outcomes.

The margins are so tight in football, a penalty is given and we lose 1-0. If Hobson hadn't made that challenge we would have had most people saying a well earned point and onwards and upwards. Instead there is plenty of critism. I still think we will survive this season although the big worry is the lack of goal threat. A big blow was the failure to sign a big target man/striker. I can see why Emile Acqua is selected as the manager likes to have a big guy up front, a common policy at this level of football. This season may go right down to the wire but we are hard to break down and hopefully can nick a few goals to give us enough three point outcomes.

Thats exactly it. Clifford and Holmes made more mistakes down our left in the first 45 but when the oppo don't score its forgotten.

In fairness to Cheltenham they had a good passage of play just before the goal, with some neat football in our 3rd. Had it not been Hobson then they would have pushed and possibly still scored.....MM would be getting the blame for some other decision instead

This is clearly the way it's going to be until the end of the season.Either we play it tight and squeeze a 0-0 draw (Cambridge) or sneak a narrow 1-0 win (Newport) or lose 1-0 (Bolton,Cheltenham).Clearly that great 3-0 win against FGR was an abberation.It's certainly not going to be pretty to watch and that lack of a regular goalscorer might still relegate us.

Well he was a RB when we signed him. And he played his first few seasons at RB. He's even an international at RB. Yet we play him in midfield...even when our regular RB isn't there ?
I’m not saying he shouldn’t have played RB last night, I literally said that in my post... but he is a midfielder now, that isn’t a ‘fascination’. Players positions can change as they get older. John White was a RB when we signed him, he is now a CB, that isn’t a fascination it’s just his new postion. Ryan Leonard was a RB when we signed him, he changed to a midfielder, that wasn’t a fascination, just his new position. It’s the same with Demetriou now being a midfielder.

MM did need to freshen up the team last night. Couple of selections are questionable! With last night results going for us again with regards to to grimsby and Barrow, you can look at it and say MM played good hand but now MM got to back his decision to make changes by going to Oldham and winning! If he doesn't and results dont go are way then their no excuses. oldham home record is awful, so with the rested players coming back into the side we should have more than enough to win.

MM did need to freshen up the team last night. Couple of selections are questionable! With last night results going for us again with regards to to grimsby and Barrow, you can look at it and say MM played good hand but now MM got to back his decision to make changes by going to Oldham and winning! If he doesn't and results dont go are way then their no excuses. oldham home record is awful, so with the rested players coming back into the side we should have more than enough to win.

I believe the Oldham home record is the only one that is worse than ours in the division!

If I recall correctly the last couple of times that Elvis has been unavailable Halford and Hopson have been played at right back - neither of whom are right backs. Yet we have Demi and Howard who are right backs. Imho, these have been poor decisions by MM and cost us points. MM has been dealt a terrible hand by Ron Martin, but needs to help himself by playing square pegs in square holes wherever possible.

MM cost us that game tonight. Too many changes, 6 in all is half the outfield players against a top three side.

Maybe MM is looking at the bigger picture and would rather save the players that were rested for, on paper, easier games coming up. So yes put at risk a point, but in order to try and gain more points with a fresher side in the coming games.

As has been noted before, games are coming thick and fast now, squad rotation will come into it.

If white is in the back 4 think JD could comfortably play RB . They had a very good understanding of covering when jd pushed forward. With RHFs good backtracking on the right there could be some good overlaps and crosses produced from the right. I
I think JD would have at least equal speed to Hobson and more agile. Hobson has really developed leaps and bounds in the back 4 with white and certainly would prefer him there.
I'm told one of the earlier season concerns was if it would cause more problems in the knee if reverted to Rb, but that it's feeling very good now and apparently as fit as ever, albeit a yard slower with age. I would think his experience and positioning would cope with a nippy league 2 winger who would probably get very sore ankles!. However, MM prefers the benefits of being able to have a strong rotatable midfield, bearing in mind taylor struggles with 2x 90 mins a week and macca struggles with 60 mins 1x a week. I can see the benefits of keeping our mid 1\3 strong using a mix from ferguson, taylor, dieng, jd, ANG, twice a week.
If Elvis were out a while maybe it could change, I don't know his injury.
Where mellis? Surely he fit now! MM can push jd to right back and have mellis for midfield cover.

Some, not all do have some strange poorly thought through ideas, whereas fans are fans and are THE ONLY people who actually care and matter.

You may disagree and thats great but MM has had enough time now, post the embargo to show his worth. He has to go in the summer along with at least 12 players, IRRESPECTIVE of whether or not we survive in this dreadful division.
Before last night.. if the season started after the embargo was lifted we'd be 9th LOL so yeah terrible job mate gotta go

1614770971549.png
This was taken before last night's results remember

Last edited:
When i first heard the starting lineup i was somewhat confused but it worked fairly well we were hard to break down but again offered very little going forward.Aquah for all his faults didnt get hardly much support both Holmes and others offered very little on the ball.Hobson got sucked into the penalty by their player as he was looking for it and he obliged.So same old story we go a goal down we make changes but again cant score.It seems to me we wont see Nile for some time so we have to work with Aquah hopefully once Olly is fit to return we might get some joy.
Onwards to Oldham for a better outcome

I dont think molsley is up to it!! He makes strange choices and selections! Why on earth would u put your strongest centre back who has been playing really well and bang on form at right back ???? Why would u play 4 at the back which gets success and then change to 5 at the back!! Why would u play halford instead of ferguson!! Acquah instead of any other fit player!! Its the manager that has cost us valuable points!!

Why on earth did we re-sign Acquah in the summer? Desperation I presume. He is clearly not up to professional standard. Isn't Hackett-Fairchild a striker by trade? Why not play him up front if Goodship or Akinola aren't fit. Our biggest problem is clearly lack of goals, and we're never going to solve that with Acquah on his own up front.

Back