• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Ah yes. :smile: Apologies for the use of low level "humour".

My information from a Hudders Towny chap is that Powelly-babe came to their club when the club was in a mess on the pitch and off the pitch. He kept them up using rather dull tactics (almost Brown like). And that wasn't appreciated by many who wanted more for their club especially in the following season. That is one side of the coin.

The other side of the coin is that Powelly-babe had little financial wiggle room, had to use quite a lot of youth players and was laying down the foundations for a better future position.

Spot on that and why there's no place for the whinging Northern Chief Executive ramblings of Nigel Clibbens on this thread.

Chris Powell our new manager, with Dean Austin and Adam Locke celebrating our first ever promotion to the 2nd tier, at Bury 1991

jteE3y.jpg

What a game that was, can we have another promotion like this please Chris

I would like to wish ex-Blues favourite Chris Powell the very best with his new appointment @ Roots Hall.

The level of the job at hand is daunting to say the least. There are divided opinions as to whether the current squad is good enough to stave off relegation. In a very short period of time, Chris has to assess the situation and come up with a plan that will instill the team with much-needed confidence and improve their performance and results.

On the plus side, he will receive tremendous backing from everyone at SUFC. Particularly from his beloved fans, of that I am absolutely certain.

PS: Don't mention the pitch! :winking:

I'm so happy. I've recently quit a job that kept me away from Roots Hall for over a decade and Saturday was always going to be my first trip back. (Well, third technically, but let's not spoil the narrative). The timing is magnificent.

To those who doubt Powell, let me assure you that he is absolute steel underneath all that charm. And this should not be seen as a sentimental appointment, we're talking about a man who got Charlton promoted when they were in a right mess and who would have stabilised them in the second flight had he not had his legs cut from under him by the new owners. Huddersfield have been incredible under David Wagner, absolutely incredible, like, once in a lifetime stuff. Powell actually had that team exactly where you'd expect them to be.

He's a hugely experienced and respected coach, he's precisely the sort of man you want developing the youngsters and most of all, precisely the sort of man you want representing the club.

I can only echo the wise words of Yorkshire Blue. This will take time. I've seen a lot of this division this season and we could easily go down. Avoiding relegation is the aim. Then slowly building something sustainable, something that gives us the foundation for when (if) all the other stuff ever comes together.

But this is a glorious, glorious day and I'm very excited. If I'd know this was going to happen, I'd have quit my job ages ago...

I'm so happy. I've recently quit a job that kept me away from Roots Hall for over a decade and Saturday was always going to be my first trip back. (Well, third technically, but let's not spoil the narrative). The timing is magnificent.

To those who doubt Powell, let me assure you that he is absolute steel underneath all that charm. And this should not be seen as a sentimental appointment, we're talking about a man who got Charlton promoted when they were in a right mess and who would have stabilised them in the second flight had he not had his legs cut from under him by the new owners. Huddersfield have been incredible under David Wagner, absolutely incredible, like, once in a lifetime stuff. Powell actually had that team exactly where you'd expect them to be.

He's a hugely experienced and respected coach, he's precisely the sort of man you want developing the youngsters and most of all, precisely the sort of man you want representing the club.

I can only echo the wise words of Yorkshire Blue. This will take time. I've seen a lot of this division this season and we could easily go down. Avoiding relegation is the aim. Then slowly building something sustainable, something that gives us the foundation for when (if) all the other stuff ever comes together.

But this is a glorious, glorious day and I'm very excited. If I'd know this was going to happen, I'd have quit my job ages ago...

Great post 'Iain'.

Seriously, you should post more often.

Back