• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coldest Southend games

Stuart W

A word to the wise is enough
As I struggled to regain any feeling in my external parts on Saturday at Altrincham (the warmest medicine undoubtably being the performance and the result), I tried to gauge where I would put the freezing conditions in a table of coldest afternoons or evenings watching the Blues.
Just to put yesterday in perspective my partner and I were also at the snowy Etihad stadium yesterday, but the conditions were positively balmy compared to the day before.
Anyway, my top 3 are:-
1) MK Dons hockey stadium in our 2-1 defeat in March 2006.
2) Saturday at Altrincham.
3) December 2006 at White Hart Lane in the League Cup quarterfinals when we were praying for a goal for either side just to avoid becoming solidified by ice. Sadly we lost 1-0 to an offside goal in extra time. So double whammy there.

No obvious freeze ins at Roots Hall came to mind, although I'm sure someone will remind me.......

Stoke away in the nineties think we one 2-1. Absolutely freezing and got snowed on, even winning didnt warm me up!

Leeds @Home in the Championship. Night game. Me and my dad sat in the uncovered part of the east at the front.

Never been so cold in my life. Think Stevie Hamell stuck in a free kick.

Hartlepool away on a tues night in the early 70,s I remember was freezing, and as others have said the hockey stadium at MK was bloody freezing

8th Feb 2010 away to Col U. Wet and the wind rattling round that tin shed. And got turned over 2-0. Not a happy memory

As I struggled to regain any feeling in my external parts on Saturday at Altrincham (the warmest medicine undoubtably being the performance and the result), I tried to gauge where I would put the freezing conditions in a table of coldest afternoons or evenings watching the Blues.
Just to put yesterday in perspective my partner and I were also at the snowy Etihad stadium yesterday, but the conditions were positively balmy compared to the day before.
Anyway, my top 3 are:-
1) MK Dons hockey stadium in our 2-1 defeat in March 2006.
2) Saturday at Altrincham.
3) December 2006 at White Hart Lane in the League Cup quarterfinals when we were praying for a goal for either side just to avoid becoming solidified by ice. Sadly we lost 1-0 to an offside goal in extra time. So double whammy there.

No obvious freeze ins at Roots Hall came to mind, although I'm sure someone will remind me.......
Bury at home, replay in the F A Cup in the Paul Sturrock era. Never should have been played, temperature continued to drop and by half time the pitch was an ice rink. Players really struggled to keep their feet.

Bury at home, replay in the F A Cup in the Paul Sturrock era. Never should have been played, temperature continued to drop and by half time the pitch was an ice rink. Players really struggled to keep their feet.
This was the one I was going to mention. Think it went to extra-time as well...

Southend 0-0 with York City on 27th January 2004 (I think) was not only a terrible game but easily the coldest I’ve ever been at a football match.

EDIT just looking at the starting line up, I would never have believed at that point that the majority of the side that played that day would go on to get us back to back promotions.

Attachments

• 042C428E-ECDD-46DA-8771-B02C1B0DF6F7.jpeg
    042C428E-ECDD-46DA-8771-B02C1B0DF6F7.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:
MK dons away by far, it was worse than freezing and a lot underestimated the weather b4 hand.
That was exactly it. I remember a guy wearing only a t shirt. That’s (MK Dons away) by far the coldest I have ever been at a football match. Altrincham was cold but the match at the Man Utd u23s earlier that day was even colder. The only other one that sticks in my mind was Burnden Park away in the early 90s. I think that was more the fact I wasn’t prepared for it but I remember wanting to cry it was so cold.

Wycombe away in Dec 2014 was horrific because the coach arrived way too early (12pm) and we were all sat freezing our nuts off in a tent for 2 hours before allowed into the stadium to witness a 4-1 battering.

Defo MK Dons hockey stadium. Uncovered terrace, was ridiculously cold. Maybe coldest I've been in my life, was just genuinely numb from head to toe.

Oddly, next season we played them again at their new ground and was also a bitterly cold day, but at least was under cover.
Yep, think I had to take at least three days off work with flu after that. Made worse by the defeat and performance, and the subsequent comments I overheard from MK fans questioning how the hell we were top. Thankfully I lived in Watford back then so only had to endure it for about 30 minutes.
Southend 0-0 with York City on 27th January 2004 (I think) was not only a terrible game but easily the coldest I’ve ever been at a football match.

EDIT just looking at the starting line up, I would never have believed at that point that the majority of the side that played that day would go on to get us back to back promotions.
Another good shout. I 'remember' being at the game but literally can't remember anything about the match itself, to the extent that I tracked down the report and apparently York hit the bar. The highlight was getting back into my car and turning the heater up to the max.

Saturday was the coldest I've felt since Bradford in January 2019, the 0-4 win and Humphrys's debut. Managed to buy some gloves at the Sports Direct at Forster Square before the match and boy were they needed.

Have to concur with MK Dons at the National Hockey Stadium. Practically everyone I know who was there has tended to agree.

Mind you, it could also get ****** cold at the top of the South Bank at our evening matches back in the day. Used to stand there with my dad as a youngster and regularly used to lose all feeling in my feet during games in the middle of winter!

Back