• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Shrimper Neil

Youth Team
The thread earlier about the 2004-2005 promotion team got me thinking and it occurred to me there are quite a few comparisons currently to our situation 10 seasons ago. Some of these are:

- Recent LDV / JPT final appearance losing 2-0 to a league 1 team from the north west
- Blowing automatic promotion at a gritty northern outpost seaside town with over 2000 away fans
- Winning play offs soon after
- Slow start to League 1 season but start to find form and go on a run
- Col Ewe also doing well
- No real stand out sides in League 1
- Similar Southend team (minus a Freddy Eastwood type) as in no big time attitudes but decent pros that can really put in a shift and are tough to beat (particularly away from home)
- Stadium plans announced

Would be interesting to see if the next comparison sees us win the league!!!! Bit much that one I think..! Personally I think if we went up this year we would be even more out of our depth than last time in the Championship. That said, I would be happy to go on that ride again.....

There's more....

Manager with soppy cliche (like I say, if truth be known)
PB on coaching staff both seasons (Brown, Brush)
both seasons started in August
round ball

I think the lack of a Freddy type will ultimately make the difference between a top 10 consolidation or making a serious challenge. I remember Fred got a hat trick at Bristol City around this time of year that really announced us as contenders.

To be a tad more general look at the last decade as a whole and I would wager it's the greatest decade in our clubs history.
Anyone else come up with a decade of such highs.....a couple of lows yes.
3 national cup finals
Five appearances in the play offs
Two play off final victories
League one title
League cup QF beating Man Utd on the way

Blimey

To be a tad more general look at the last decade as a whole and I would wager it's the greatest decade in our clubs history.
3 national cup finals
League one title

Blimey

NO ! I think you have it

back to back promotions for the first time in the clubs history
putting 4 past Newcastle at home
Top of the second tier
Second tier for half of the decade.
at least 3 record signings
Southend players getting capped , whilst still at the club
Stan

The 90's shade it for me

3 national cup finals
League one title

Blimey
So why so harsh on Ron Martin?:winking:

Top of the second tier
Stan

The 90's shade it for me

It's close very close. Being established in the 2nd tier for years was indeed a big achievement. No Wembley though....which personally was always ' the dream' for me just puts those days behind the last decade

It's close very close. Being established in the 2nd tier for years was indeed a big achievement. No Wembley though....which personally was always ' the dream' for me just puts those days behind the last decade

What if I added beating West Ham at Home and being 3 divisions higher than Col U ?

Top of the second tier
Stan

The 90's shade it for me

Record club score (or at least equalling it) when hit 10 (ten) v Aldershot
Anglo-Italian adventures (Fiorentina! Batistuta v David Howell! Ricky Otto v a hammer!)
Highest ever league position
Furthest we ever got in the FA Cup
From 0-0 after 55 minutes to 7-0 v Torquay
A penalty shoot-out from Wembley (back when Wembley was a rarity)
Who put the ball in the Bury net?
Southend players being linked with million pounds moves in the newspapers
Royce's save v Edinho

ps Who were the players who got capped whilst still at Southend?

The thread earlier about the 2004-2005 promotion team got me thinking and it occurred to me there are quite a few comparisons currently to our situation 10 seasons ago. Some of these are:

- Recent LDV / JPT final appearance losing 2-0 to a league 1 team from the north west
- Blowing automatic promotion at a gritty northern outpost seaside town with over 2000 away fans
- Winning play offs soon after
- Slow start to League 1 season but start to find form and go on a run
- Col Ewe also doing well
- No real stand out sides in League 1
- Similar Southend team (minus a Freddy Eastwood type) as in no big time attitudes but decent pros that can really put in a shift and are tough to beat (particularly away from home)
- Stadium plans announced

Would be interesting to see if the next comparison sees us win the league!!!! Bit much that one I think..! Personally I think if we went up this year we would be even more out of our depth than last time in the Championship. That said, I would be happy to go on that ride again.....

To be fair that's quite a big difference and one that will probably BE the difference this season.....

Back