• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Constantine signs for Peterborough

Status
Not open for further replies.
weighing it up he did get 20 goals this year but when did he ever get anywhere near that before in his career?

As Scriv said on the list a few weeks back it's mainly worth keeping him at SUFC just so he doesn't go and have his 1 good season somewhere else. At least he has gone to Div2 so he won't return to haunt us....this season anyway. Hopefully we will pass Posh on the way up
smile.gif

Tilson said he was asking for 3x what he was on this season, when you consider he was only reportedly on £500 a week maybe him asking for £1500 a week doesn't sound too bad. Still, would have been nice for him to stick around considering we rescued him from Bosman no-mans land last summer.

I could see early on this situation was going to end up being another "Rawle" with differing messages coming from both parties in the media so this hasn't come as too much of a surprise but I an still a little bit gutted.

Hopefully Dudders will get 27 goals next season and we'll be saying Leon who? in no time.

I'm chuffed about Nicolau, Jupp has been pretty solid but Che Wilsons signing doesn't exactly inspire me, Hopefully Maher and Cort will sign or otherwise any pre-season optimism I had will start to vapourise!

I am afraid this is where we find that being able to get players in on the cheap on short contracts can be a two-edged sword. The club very prudently want to take minimal risks on new players, so they offer them low wages and short contracts. If Connie had flopped this season, it would have been  "Thank you and good night", and not much talk of how unloyal the club were being. The danger is that the player has a storming season, and becomes a wanted asset - and the club have no hold over him, because his contract has expired.

We can't have it both ways..... or can we? Would it not be possible to have clauses in the contract allowing the club to extend it for a pre-negotiated increase in wages should the player prove exceptional? Or something similar, anyway. MtS, what could  the club do to hedge it's bets?

And I am as gutted as anyone by the deceitful way Connie handled it. Go yes, but surely no need to mislead everyone!

PS the young Shrimper is gutted too - he has only had his LDV "Constantine" top for 5 days  
sad.gif

That F**ckin pr*ck. I can't f**ckin believe it. What a two faced nonce. I hope he does sh*t in the rest of his career, and has to beg a non-league team to take him on. I hope we get Peterborough in the Fa Cup next season, and that Warren stay's. That will teach the w*nker a lesson. So next season it will be I 8 RAWLE & CONNIE on the back of my shirt!!
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (MrB @ May 21 2004,16:40)]At least he hasn't gone to someone else in our division. We all know what happens then.
Ah, but what are the odds we'll face him in the cup.

Very dissappointed he's gone (despite the feeling that he was a one season wonder), but why couldn't he at least speak to Tilly and Ron rather than take the cowards way out? What harm would it have done if he'd had that last chat and said that he was about to sign elsewhere unless we made him a better offer. Clearly, he's embarrssed by what he's done (wouldn't you be if you'd just signed for Peterboro?)

Can't say I wish him well. In fact, he deserves the same success as Rawle.

Anway, if that's the type of person he is, we're better off without him.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 21 2004,18:51)]PS the young Shrimper is gutted too - he has only had his LDV "Constantine" top for 5 days
sad.gif
That's a shame, but tell him that the shirt and the team that lined up for us then, was a special moment for our club... no matter what happened afterwards.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 21 2004,17:56)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 21 2004,18:51)]PS the young Shrimper is gutted too - he has only had his LDV "Constantine" top for 5 days  
sad.gif
That's a shame, but tell him that the shirt and the team that lined up for us then, was a special moment for our club... no matter what happened afterwards.
Thanks, OS, pretty much what I said, but it is a tad annoying!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 21 2004,19:01)]
[b said:
[b said:
sad.gif
A 'tad'? a 'TAD'?

The word 'TAD' must mean something different in Scotland.

rock.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (overseas shrimper @ May 21 2004,18:05)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Shrimp in a Kilt @ May 21 2004,19:01)]
[b said:
[b said:
sad.gif
A 'tad'? a 'TAD'?

The word 'TAD' must mean something different in Scotland.

rock.gif
Some great words in Scotland - my favourite is "Swithering" meaning not able to make up one's mind. e.g. "Constantine was swithering in front of goal when a no-nonsense tackle from the Brentford defender broke his leg".

Tad was meant as ironic understatement, but to be fair by the start of next season this will all seem irrelevant, with the exciting team that I am still confident Tilly will put together taking the pitch for the first time. Who is still steaming about Mark Rawle? Unhappy, yes, but not that bothered anymore. Same with Connie. I think he will finish the season lucky to make the subs bench, and quoting Judas Fry - "Leaving Southend was the worst mistake of my life." They can commiserate with each other.

According to an interview on BBC Essex, Constantine says that he wasn't made a formal offer by Southend. He was offered one by someone else and he couldn't afford to turn it down.
sad.gif

Just seen the news.

1) All the people so worried and fed up about this, forget him. He quite clearly has grown an ego, what with his demands for such a substantial pay rise. We don't need players like that to get us out of this Division.

2) As I and the odd other person have been saying in the last few months, he's vastly over rated by certain sections (mostly the younger fans). Yes, he got goals, but the fact is his all round play and contribution was pretty poor.

3) Watch him come whinging back in a year from now, just like Rawle. He WON'T get anywhere near the amount of goals he got this season for them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Dreams @ May 21 2004,16:06)]Looks like another player who has chosen money over football andd ambition!
Ambition Ron Martin doesn't know the meaning of the word.
Disappointed Leon has gone but at the end of the day if you were offered more money in your job are you saying you would refuse it?

I think he should have stayed with us for one more season just to prove he's not a one season wonder but good luck to him.
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Shrimper @ May 21 2004,19:57)]... not forgetting that Jay Smith hasn't signed yet!
wow.gif
He's off to Northampton

Oi! Shrimperzone! Can you PLEASE get Judas Constantine's picture off the front page!
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (blue sky @ May 21 2004,22:10)]Oi! Shrimperzone! Can you PLEASE get Judas Constantine's picture off the front page!
mad.gif
Just saw that and thought the same!

I say good luck to the fella. Afterall if your in any job and you get the chance of a higher salary at another company, you go. So why is football any different, all this sh*t about loyalty, the guy can't take a lower wage just to please Southend fans. Similarly to everybody else his age, he has to make his living. Division Three players are hardly paid Premier wages for gods sake. Plus the career span of a footballer is hardly long, he has to make as much as he can in a short period of time before he reaches 30 sumet and ends up at canvey.
laugh.gif

Gutted heard him talking on BBC ESSEX and he said he was never offered a 2 year deal . Sorry I dont beleve him another RAWLE judist in the making
mad.gif
:
mad.gif
mad.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Jenks19 @ May 21 2004,22:08)]
[b said:
Quote[/b] (Hawkwell Shrimper @ May 21 2004,19:57)]... not forgetting that Jay Smith hasn't signed yet!
wow.gif
He's off to Northampton
rock.gif

Source?

I was of the thinking he'd signed...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back