• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copied you in on Twitter.
whoever that random person is (not Dr Hall) isn't correct. 60-70% is the appropriate threshold (not 90%) and viral transmission also depends on the level of exposure (which is why health professionals are at high risk). Alcohol hand sanitiser is a good option when you're out and about and unable to wash your hands, e.g. stepping off the tube or bus.

Check the gel you buy to ensure it's got the appropriate level of ethanol concentration.

https://www.boots.com/dettol-on-the-go-antibacterial-hand-gel-aloe-vera-50ml-10266752

All the shops here are sold out of hand sanitizer. In a few weeks you won't have any choice about using it or not, as it will all be gone. If you want to use it, I recommend getting it ASAP. I don't want to encourage panic buying but....

If your going to panic.. always make sure you panic first

All the shops here are sold out of hand sanitizer. In a few weeks you won't have any choice about using it or not, as it will all be gone. If you want to use it, I recommend getting it ASAP. I don't want to encourage panic buying but....
The one they use in Eastgate is certainly strong!

Touched on in a couple of the papers today; food panic buying. That's done it. Golden opportunity for those rather unpleasant individuals that dwell among us to now go out and grab everything in sight and sod everybody else. One wonders why, if it's expected to happen (and if it's in the papers, it must be true :Whistling:), why limits aren't being introduced now so that no-one goes without. Hopefully we'll see sensible and fair contingency plans put in place to counter the inevitable rush and grab. Worked pretty well in WWII.
Or maybe it was a bit of scare-mongering where certain rags like to stir up the masses..... :Thumbs down:

So they expect people to self-isolate IF they get it. My sister-in-law is a single parent who doesn't get paid sick pay. It's unlikely she could afford two weeks without pay - so she'll probably drag herself in to work and spread it to all and sundry. And I'm sure she's not alone in this.

So they expect people to self-isolate IF they get it. My sister-in-law is a single parent who doesn't get paid sick pay. It's unlikely she could afford two weeks without pay - so she'll probably drag herself in to work and spread it to all and sundry. And I'm sure she's not alone in this.

Par for the course mate. With an estimated 17m people living from paycheck to paycheck in this country, it really will hit the fan if this thing truly breaks out.

From the governments perspective, I would think the main priority right now, is to avoid starting a panic. They know how damaging this could be.

The truth is, this Government isn’t prepared for something like this. No Goverment is, for that matter.

People will need to apply a large dose of common sense, because if you’re looking at these flannels running the show to help you, you’re ****ed (no politics).

Par for the course mate. With an estimated 17m people living from paycheck to paycheck in this country, it really will hit the fan if this thing truly breaks out.

From the governments perspective, I would think the main priority right now, is to avoid starting a panic. They know how damaging this could be.

The truth is, this Government isn’t prepared for something like this. No Goverment is, for that matter.

People will need to apply a large dose of common sense, because if you’re looking at these flannels running the show to help you, you’re ****ed (no politics).

Interesting here

https://slatestarcodex.com/2020/03/02/coronavirus-links-speculation-open-thread/

So today. Pandemic more likely than not, because of spread from those with no obvious symptoms. 1% approx will die, out of the 3% approx that will be hospitalised. So the UK population is 66 Million plus. You can guess the problem. No where enough wards, beds, staff. That's probably impossible to cope with. Other Countries will be in the same boat, and will need their qualified Doctors and Nurses, so it will be harder to get them here. An expert today said they will probably stop them going to help another country, meaning us, among others. And then there will be the Thousands of hospital staff going down with the Coronavirus every week. Those tempted out of temporary retirement won't even cover those.

So today. Pandemic more likely than not, because of spread from those with no obvious symptoms. 1% approx will die, out of the 3% approx that will be hospitalised. So the UK population is 66 Million plus. You can guess the problem. No where enough wards, beds, staff. That's probably impossible to cope with. Other Countries will be in the same boat, and will need their qualified Doctors and Nurses, so it will be harder to get them here. An expert today said they will probably stop them going to help another country, meaning us, among others. And then there will be the Thousands of hospital staff going down with the Coronavirus every week. Those tempted out of temporary retirement won't even cover those.

And that’s just the immediate healthcare side of this.

I’ve mentioend before that I have carers in my family. They have strict guidelines to adhere to, and if they are even remotely affected by it, they would be forced to self-isolate.

I’m sure most of you are aware, that the social care sector already operates with a skeleton workforce. If it lost even 10% of that staff overnight, there would be a lot of people going without vital care and attention.

Biggest risk group I believe are the old, so NHS staff who have retired would be putting themselves at risk if they returned to work.

Kev's getting people cancelling airport transfers because their holiday plans have been cancelled - big knock on effect financially for us sadly.

Biggest risk group I believe are the old, so NHS staff who have retired would be putting themselves at risk if they returned to work.

You consider people in their 60s as old do you? (They're only talking about people who have recently retired.)

This article seems to suggest that "old" is over 80:

The death toll skews old even more strongly. Overall, China CDC found, 2.3% of confirmed cases died. But the fatality rate was 14.8% in people 80 or older, likely reflecting the presence of other diseases, a weaker immune system, or simply worse overall health. By contrast, the fatality rate was 1.3% in 50-somethings, 0.4% in 40-somethings, and 0.2% in people 10 to 39.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back