• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All our UK offices had to work from home yesterday as a stress test on our IT infrastructure in case coronavirus stops everyone commuting. Seems like it went well and nobody had any issues accessing systems. Hopefully all this preparation is overkill but I guess it is better to have these preparations in place and not use them than be up **** creek without a paddle if the worst does come to fruition. Business impact directly affects our bonuses so wouldn't want a massive interruption!

****ing nuts whipped up by the media. God forbid a real pandemic hits, the world will end.
This is a real pandemic. We're seeing exponential growth ex-China in cases and fatalities, with the number of deaths is doubling each 2-3 days.

People should be taking sensible steps to avoid the transmission of this, by frequent hand-washing and self isolation if you're symptomatic and believe you've come into contact with COVID-19. Downplaying the severity of the situation is actively harmful.

How many cases of "ordinary" (for want if a better term) have been diagnosed?

Think its something over 100 confirmed cases now, was 40 cases two weeks ago. One death, the elderly person with underlying health conditions, and in 10 of the cases the origin has not yet been identified.

If you follow all the recommendations everyone needs to live like Howard Hughes in his final days in an isolated / sterile environment with no contact with the outside world.

I have always fancied myself as an unpredictable warlord......If want to be part of the Southend militia, just PM me

Sure.

We can branch out into protection services & make a fortune.

Capitalism rules!

Think its something over 100 confirmed cases now, was 40 cases two weeks ago. One death, the elderly person with underlying health conditions, and in 10 of the cases the origin has not yet been identified.

If you follow all the recommendations everyone needs to live like Howard Hughes in his final days in an isolated / sterile environment with no contact with the outside world.
No you don't, stop being daft

Panic buying was bound to happen as soon as the alert levels went up and now the plan is moving to delaying the spread the panic will increase. Fact of life, a lot of the antibacterial gels contain no acohol and therefore are useless to kill the virus. My local surgery can no longer get supplies of gel and probably the hospital won't be far behind. Nevertheless, washing hands for the correct length of time will give us some protection. Why folk feel the need to stockpile some of the foodstuffs that are missing from the shelves is beyond me. We are not in a pandemic just yet and if people will just be sensible and calm it will be easier for all of us.

I’ve been too busy over the last few days to get to the supermarket after work, but I’ve got no other option than to go there tonight, to get my cans of listening juice.

If there’s a shortage on that, then god help us all.

I’ll keep you updated

A billionaire philanthropist? Yes please.

A huge percentage of people who get this have recovered without any side affects.
true

You can't tell me the media have not been irresponsible in their continual 24hr reporting like it's the end of days
it's a massive story, it has the potential to kill a huge number of people, and I'd say is likely to cause a significant global economic impact. Is the media sometimes a bit eager to hype things up? yes, but the academic and scientific community are pretty unified on this being a big issue, and if it's not COVID-19, it could be it's worse brother a year or two away.
- as per usual they report on the negative rather than the positive
remind me what the positive stories are related to COVID-19?

and now we're seeing idiots buying up stocks of toilet paper
people are scared, and many people are inherently selfish. However, if I see empty shelves and no loo roll then for sure I'll pick up the next large quantity of it that I find, as I don't want a ****ty arse.

and Network Rail supplying totally pointless hand sanitiser.
We all know Network Rail are incompetent.

Flew to Portugal from Heathrow for a short break and a small amount of people at airport were wearing masks.Not sure they are that effective anyway specially for the bloke who kept taking it on and off as he waited for his flight seemed bit pointless!
masks aren't good a stopping you from contracting an infection. They're better at stopping you passing it on (coughing/sneezing etc.)

masks aren't good a stopping you from contracting an infection. They're better at stopping you passing it on (coughing/sneezing etc.)

Reminds me of Thomas The Tank when my lad was young

coughs_and_sneezles_spread_diseasels__by_the_arc_minister_dd1u4jr-350t.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back