• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Coronavirus (Non-Politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Asda staff don't wear masks, not been in today, hopefully they are now. You see them quite happily talk to each other close up, no mask. I wonder how many would have caught it if they were wearing masks from about a month ago.

That isn't what was being said a few weeks ago. What was being said is that the risk of customers being infected whilst at a supermarket is very low (which this story doesn't contradict, all the confirmed cases in the Asda are staff members).

There was someone saying that the low personal risk of infection justified him not wearing a mask to which several other people correctly pointed out that just because he wasn't at risk didn't mean the staff (who have to deal with hundreds of potentially infected people a day) weren't at risk if everyone wasn't wearing a mask, so it's still responsible to wear one for their sake.

No - unless my memory is fading, the posters stated that they had asked checkout staff if there were any staff off - the negative response was 'proof' that covid didn't circulate in stores

That report is from a small internet newsletter based in Brighton. It isn’t definitive and seems highly politicised in its rejection of demographics and seeming acceptance (without much question) that somehow African countries en masse reacted perfectly while the developed world did not. The MERS and SARS points are valid ones, and part of the picture hence the experience of countries in the Far East. However, to suggest this is the whole cause and demographics, lack of test capacity and what we know about who is more severely affected (older folks, with younger often being asymptomatic) seems disingenuous and calls into question the quality and thoroughness of the analysis in this report.

What are Covid letters?

Led to believe they are either actual appointments or writing to people to say they can go ahead and organise their jab. I know one of the ladies who got one was 100 in Nov so it’s def those at the top of the list.

If you’ve got any spares Tinks, give me a shout and I’ll come and get mine done. ?

My dad is 78 he got his text today to go for his Covid vaccine between 18-19.00 that evening.Was well organised.He had the Oxford jab and his second dose is due April 7th

So they have extended the 21 days between first and second jabs?

I think this is part of the problem, people say they are following the rules, but there's an exception here and an exception there, which really means they're not following the rules.

That is the problem, there will always be people who think the rules don't apply to them in all walks of life, not just under the pandemic.

We have seen many people in public life who have flouted the rules, some have resigned, others have paid fines, but mostly there have been excuses made for these people.

Crassida Dick said the other day that by now everyone should know the rules, but what exactly are they? That is still not known when it comes to exercise, for example. The rules on exercise state that "Outside exercise should be limited to once per day and you should not travel outside your local area."

Fine, but what is your local area? A mile? Maybe two? Three at the most, surely? Ah but our Prime minster was caught cycling seven miles from Downing Street. Downing Street say this is okay as no one has specified what 'local' actually means.

If you make woolly rules, then people will push them to the limits and break them especially when they see others more rich or famous or with more power than themselves doing exactly the same thing without any consequences.

Last edited:
My 84 year old mother-in-law had her first jab yesterday. As far as I know my parents (dad, 80 and mum 76) haven't had there's yet.

My aunt (78 I believe) has been scheduled for her's, but that doesn't count: she's in California!

2.6 million vaccinated so far with pharmacies joining the fight today. I guess until they vaccinate those out and about spreading it, we won’t know how effectively it’ll slow transmission of the virus. At least we’re getting the most vulnerable protected and hopefully starting to slow down the hospital admission rates.

That report is from a small internet newsletter based in Brighton. It isn’t definitive and seems highly politicised in its rejection of demographics and seeming acceptance (without much question) that somehow African countries en masse reacted perfectly while the developed world did not. The MERS and SARS points are valid ones, and part of the picture hence the experience of countries in the Far East. However, to suggest this is the whole cause and demographics, lack of test capacity and what we know about who is more severely affected (older folks, with younger often being asymptomatic) seems disingenuous and calls into question the quality and thoroughness of the analysis in this report.
I think that's a bit unfair. The lead author is very well respected and knowledgable and her opinion is worth listening to. The article is clearly an opinion piece, it states this right at the top, it's not a piece of research/analysis.

2.6 million vaccinated so far with pharmacies joining the fight today. I guess until they vaccinate those out and about spreading it, we won’t know how effectively it’ll slow transmission of the virus. At least we’re getting the most vulnerable protected and hopefully starting to slow down the hospital admission rates.
Given many Priority 1 people have now had their second dose I do hope in the next few weeks we see a drop off in the hospitalisation rates and then in the death rate to follow.

The problem is that we won't necessarily be out of the woods, but there'll be pressure to open things up.

My 84 year old mother-in-law had her first jab yesterday. As far as I know my parents (dad, 80 and mum 76) haven't had there's yet.

My aunt (78 I believe) has been scheduled for her's, but that doesn't count: she's in California!

Update: my dad's having his first go on Sunday.

Most people who have had Covid-19 are protected from catching it again for at least five months, a study led by Public Health England shows.
Past infection was linked to an 83% lower risk of getting the virus, compared with those who had never had Covid-19, scientists found.
But experts warn some people do catch Covid-19 again - and can infect others.

And officials stress people should follow the stay-at-home rules - whether or not they have had the virus. (BBC).

I think that's a bit unfair. The lead author is very well respected and knowledgable and her opinion is worth listening to. The article is clearly an opinion piece, it states this right at the top, it's not a piece of research/analysis.

Yet you demand actual members of this forum can't post on this thread. How does that work?

Last edited:
All this talk of a new Brazilian variant...... What's to discuss - shut the damned borders now ffs and anyone entering the UK from South America who's been through Brazil in the last 14 days, stick 'em in isolation. Christ, you'd've thought someone would've got the idea on how to react by now, wouldn't you ? Guess not......:Facepalm:

All this talk of a new Brazilian variant...... What's to discuss - shut the damned borders now ffs and anyone entering the UK from South America who's been through Brazil in the last 14 days, stick 'em in isolation. Christ, you'd've thought someone would've got the idea on how to react by now, wouldn't you ? Guess not......:Facepalm:

Why can't us and them organise a cultural exchange? We seem to be leading the way after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back