• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Come on OBL. Alan McCormack? You over hyped him like crazy. Barry Corr deserves all the praise in the world, to have a cracking season like his first and actually score 20 goals. Then spend a whole season out where people said he would never return and it wouldn't work. To then come back and do as well as he has this season, he deserves all the praise.

Plus he is not an arsehole like Alan McCormack.
That was me though, what I'm talking about is a collective number of posters doing it....it's similar to Moussa. Like I said though, Corr is a good player, and I'd be happy to have him stay. I just think some of the rhetoric is far too much.

Doesn't make him a god, just a good lower league player. Not in the same league as Angell, 2005 Eastwood or Collymore to name a few though.

Terrible examples.

Corr is a top lower league target man. You have compared him to 3 players who did and should have played at the highest level. Corr will never do that but will give 100% and score goals in L2 or L1 and that's all we want from him.

Collymore is one of the most gifted players you will ever see.
Angell did very well for us and played at the highest level
Eastwood was on fire in 2005 but let himself down after his big move.

How about a total ban on rumours!!!

Rumours is one of the finest albums ever, why should you want to ban it?

Of the three games I saw him play in last season-against Brentford in the cup,Wembley and at home to Morcambe-I think it's fair to say the only game he made a difference in was against Brentford, when tbf he was superb.

Corr was miles ahead of anyone else on the pitch when he came on.

That was me though, what I'm talking about is a collective number of posters doing it....it's similar to Moussa. Like I said though, Corr is a good player, and I'd be happy to have him stay. I just think some of the rhetoric is far too much.

Sounds like there are some posters on here who recognise quality.

Sounds like two perfect examples of the wisdom of crowds if you ask me...

Hows that working out for us? Oh yeah, mid table in league 2.

Corr makes a difference in a game, to lose him would be a massive loss.

Of the three games I saw him play in last season-against Brentford in the cup,Wembley and at home to Morcambe-I think it's fair to say the only game he made a difference in was against Brentford, when tbf he was superb.

Corr was awesome at Wembley. We finally had someone who could win pretty much every header. Admittedly he was poor against Morcambe but so was the whole team.

If he's scoring 13 goals with "serious question marks over his general fitness", then he ought to be absolutely devastating with a full pre-season behind him.

Corr's a vital component of this side and our loss would be any other team's substantial gain.

Clearly some of you either can't or don't read too well.

I questioned the opinion that Corr "makes a difference in a game" on the basis of three games I saw him play in last season.

Of those games, two of them were lost, so he clearly didn't make a difference.

Personally I'd dispute the claim that he played well at Wembley.

Granted he huffed and puffed when he came on in the second half.But so did the rest of the team,without much effect.It seemed to me that our best chance of scoring against Crewe was after Freddy came on.

Against Morecambe, Corr was woeful, (like the rest of the team)and missed a couple of gilt edged chances.

Given his injury record, I'd be suprised if another club came in for him.On the basis of the way he was nursed through the second half of last season, I'd also be suprised if he could manage a full pre-season.

Alf Smirk used to say that he could never understand how Ray Smith became a professional footballer.I'd never go that far with respect to Corr but I certainly don't understand why he's deified by so many on here.As others have said, he's an average L2 striker at best.

We have gone through countless forwards since Corr came into the club. None have been as effective.

I can't believe anyone would be laid back about him leaving, he's a huge asset in a squad.

He will be extremely difficult to replace.

I like Corr but think that some of the adulation that goes on here is w-a-y over the top!

Actually I agree.

I like Corr, very much admire the way he has come back from a serious injury, and would be more than happy if he re-signed his contract.

However I do not buy in to the idea that he is irreplaceable or that we should build our attack around him. Our best season in the last 3 Corr did not play at all and we looked at our most dangerous (and had our best results) with Tomlin and Britt up front.

It's farcical that people even believe this. We won't be letting someone like Corr just walk away.

Terrible examples.

Corr is a top lower league target man. You have compared him to 3 players who did and should have played at the highest level. Corr will never do that but will give 100% and score goals in L2 or L1 and that's all we want from him.

Collymore is one of the most gifted players you will ever see.
Angell did very well for us and played at the highest level
Eastwood was on fire in 2005 but let himself down after his big move.

Hang about, my examples were to illustrate why Corr wont or shouldn't be a "Roots Hall Legend" which some already seem to think he is. As I said, he's a decent lower league forward, but He shouldn't touch the likes of those I've mentioned.

He is a decent L2 player and worth keeping hold of, but I wouldn't be calling for the managers head if he does release him. After the season we've had, I don't think anyone should think they're immune.

Hang about, my examples were to illustrate why Corr wont or shouldn't be a "Roots Hall Legend" which some already seem to think he is. As I said, he's a decent lower league forward, but He shouldn't touch the likes of those I've mentioned.

He is a decent L2 player and worth keeping hold of, but I wouldn't be calling for the managers head if he does release him. After the season we've had, I don't think anyone should think they're immune.

Barry Corr suffered a career ending injury, worked hard to come back and scored 13 goals in a season he didn't play a major part of. He musty be kept hold of next season.

I agree , to lose him wouldnt be good, he may not be a Collymore, Angell or Eastwood, but he can score goals,also a good fill in at CB,and who knows what may happen during a match,it maybe that hes needed in that position too.A very decent Lge 2 player.

We are a league 2 club with league 2 players (an arguement can be made that some could play in league 1), so anyone is replaceable. Corr has done fantastically well to come back from a serious injury and scored some important goals.

As for the "over-the-top love", I don't see what the problem is. He has become a fan favourite amongst many and our very own "Chuck Norris" (well Chuck Norris wishes!). If we are going to show our players support according to their abilities, then we wouldn't have much affection towards any of the players. Lets be honest, Barrett was a good League 1 defender at best and he was a fan favourite on here.

Southend being a L2 club is exactly why Corr is hard to replace.

Who are we going to attract that we know will be better?

Southend being a L2 club is exactly why Corr is hard to replace.

Who are we going to attract that we know will be better?
Blimey, as I recall, we weren't exactly enthralled by his signing when he first came? Someone will turn up, they always do eventually. Having said that, if he goes and we're left with a fit Freddy and Harris with some youthful exuberance from Pinnock and Seedy, that's not too bad a mix.

Blimey, as I recall, we weren't exactly enthralled by his signing when he first came? Someone will turn up, they always do eventually. Having said that, if he goes and we're left with a fit Freddy and Harris with some youthful exuberance from Pinnock and Seedy, that's not too bad a mix.

Someone might turn up.

Someone will more likely be a Clarke-Harris, Fairhurst, Benyon, Flood, Sampson etc.

We have had many, many more bad strikers than good at Southend. That's the norm at lower league clubs. We should not be relaxed about losing the division's best target man by assuming another good striker will come along.

Back