• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

buffalowolf

Director
I remember back last season when Cresswell got sent off and Barry Corr was moved to Centre Back, so many people on here saying how well he played and how he won everything in the air.I was thinking could he be the answer to our obvious weakness in the central defensive positions.It seems clear to me from your posts ,that we clearly need a dominating figure there especially when it comes to winning balls in the air.Prosser im thinking is still just a squad player and Thompson well from your posts dosent win a thing in the air.Yes some might say its robbing Peter to pay Paul,but even from CB position he is still able to come forward for corners etc.Just a question ,i wondered how many off you thought on this situation, Could be worth trying ,many strikers in the past have become decent centre backs and vica versa , maybe Phil Brown may just take a gamble sometime and try it.We have i believe the right manager and decent midfield with cover now ,the best striker in the division in Freddy ,but im sorry to say 2 very inept central defenders.We aspire to be promoted something really needs to be done in those positions , Philips is good but injury prone as we all know.

No, no, no this would be a horrible idea (not having a go at all just really against this option). We need two players in to have a good chance of challenging for the top 7 or dare I say it top 3.....a pacey striker and, even more importantly, a good centre-half. Let's hope El Tango can add to the squad before the deadline.

Not too sure if Barry himself would be too happy.

No! It's ok in an emergency but that's all - similarly, I was no fan of Mohsni or Cresswell playing up top unless we were chasing a game!

The problem is conceding goals at set pieces so I'd expect him to be back there helping out anyway before resuming his attacking duties.

No not at all.I think if Philips is going be out for a while we need to get a experienced centre back in.

No, we want players in their correct positions.

The problem is conceding goals at set pieces so I'd expect him to be back there helping out anyway before resuming his attacking duties.

Indeed, that second goal was basic defending, the guy was unmarked, same as last week.

At set pieces its not down to the centre halves to mark everyone or clear every thing, the team need to defend and at the moment we are sadly giving goals away through not marking players.

Wasn't there rumours of a Watford centre back, all 6' 6'' of him joining us.....might solve some issues whilst Phillips is out ?

Certainly could do with more experience, but lets not forget we arent conceding goals in free play, just set pieces. The centre halves we have seem to be doing fine defending in normal play...

If BBBC is the answer, then it must be a fairly terrible question.:winking:

Was the question who scored 21 goals in 2010/11? :winking:

Rather not have Corr at the back, he lost Morgan for the first goal. Thompson needs experience no help his decision making as he is pretty raw and naive. He does win headers, but he charges in like a bull and could easily give away needless freekicks.

We need Corr up front for the height. Hopefully that kid from Watford can come in up front, but we need a CB who can be the leader out of the two.

Certainly could do with more experience, but lets not forget we arent conceding goals in free play, just set pieces. The centre halves we have seem to be doing fine defending in normal play...

Fair point Jam_Man, but 6' 6'' would be quite handy to defend with...esp at set pieces ?

Actually, I suspect that he would make an excellent centre back.

I think a striker turned CB would do a great job. They know all the tricks of a striker. The 70 mins he played at the back last season were probably the best I've seen BBBC play

Possibly, but he would need to learn to watch the flight of the ball, not solely his man, when marking in his own box.

To be fair Phil, he's usually pretty reliable when called on for defensive duties. I do think this zonal crap has confused several of our players.

Back