• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Could Fred be worth more to us if he stays ?

CC51DAS

President
Apologies in advance for launching yet another debate about the value of our prize asset , but on all the threads on here I can't recall having seen anyone put a value on a quick return to the Chumpionship .

- We have heard that relegation has cost us at least £2 million -
- we know that a fit Fred has a track record showing he is a 20 goal-a-season striker in the lower leagues
- we can assume that if Fred is not fit then no-one is going to gamble a fortune on him now

So do we stand to gain more by keeping him and getting back up , even if he goes on a free at the end ??

I would say NO, the money now would allow Tilly to go for a higher class of player to replace him ready for pre season etc etc. Where as IF fred scores the goals to see us get promoted and then left for free them we left with no brilliant striker and no money to replace him.

I would say NO, the money now would allow Tilly to go for a higher class of player to replace him ready for pre season etc etc.

No who says that Tilly would have access to any of the money from a possible Freddy transfer?

Not saying Ron Martin is a tight fisted git but aren't you jumping the gun a bit there.

No I dont think he will be worth more to us... We have to think of the long-term. It's all good and well getting back up to the championship and then losing him on a free, but it would be better to get cash for him now (if possible and the right deal comes in). The money we really need to help plan for the long-term. The long-term is better for the club instead of the short-term therefore they have to plan for the long-term. Having a couple of M available from the transfer for him would enable T&B to have some cash to splash and develop the squad and making them better for the future. Being in the championship but having no cash is just going to mean relegation again and then we're in the same boat as now but without our prize asset and no major source of finance (if needed!)

I have a feeling I have just repeated myself, but oh well. I'm up for a debate. ;)

No who says that Tilly would have access to any of the money from a possible Freddy transfer?

Not saying Ron Martin is a tight fisted git but aren't you jumping the gun a bit there.

If the cash is there in the kitty and the right player comes along, I'm sure Ron would provide Tilly with the funds.

Ron wants success for this club, so will do everything in his powers to get it, I am sure of that!
:D

OK , but say we get straight back up thanx to Fred (again) and then he goes on a free

-- we know that we will get £2million a year by staying in the Chump and possibly more as hopefully the new Stad will only be a season away and

-- you would think that we would have learned a lesson from last season and this time would invest more heavily

not saying you're wrong but just wondering whether there is another way of looking at this

Do we get 2m for going up to the Championship? And then staying up every year?

Didn't know that, in fact, that wouldn't be so bad if we keep fred and he did fire us back into the Championship...but how can we take the risk that he most deffiently will? He may not. Therefore we have a scorer who leaves on a free, we stay in League one. We are no better off etc....

No I dont think he will be worth more to us... We have to think of the long-term. It's all good and well getting back up to the championship and then losing him on a free, but it would be better to get cash for him now (if possible and the right deal comes in). The money we really need to help plan for the long-term. The long-term is better for the club instead of the short-term therefore they have to plan for the long-term. Having a couple of M available from the transfer for him would enable T&B to have some cash to splash and develop the squad and making them better for the future. Being in the championship but having no cash is just going to mean relegation again and then we're in the same boat as now but without our prize asset and no major source of finance (if needed!)

I have a feeling I have just repeated myself, but oh well. I'm up for a debate. ;)

agree with every word. sell him now cos there is no way he is gonna sign a new contract = a lot of p'ssed fans when he goes on a free.

Well you get around £40 million from Championship to Premiership so League 1 to Championship has got to be at least £5 Million.

You think about all the game we had on tv last season that must have made a substansual amount of revenue.

I would say NO, the money now would allow Tilly to go for a higher class of player to replace him ready for pre season etc etc. Where as IF fred scores the goals to see us get promoted and then left for free them we left with no brilliant striker and no money to replace him.

I'm not sure how we would get a higher class of player to replace him. A higher class suggests to me a Championship or Premiership class player - I don't think any of those would drop to League 1 and even if they did would cost more than a couple of millon - unless it's a Goater type signing but then that isn't building for the future. For me I think I'd prefer Freddy to stay as I don't think we can replace him.

Can anyone confirm you get money for going up?! If we got 4+mil last season for going up into the championship..why havn't we seen any of that money been spent?!

Well you get around £40 million from Championship to Premiership so League 1 to Championship has got to be at least £5 Million.

You think about all the game we had on tv last season that must have made a substansual amount of revenue.

Well if you are right and its £5 million then I would say its worth the gamble of keeping a prolific , proven striker and getting back up there , unless someone offers much more for him than I am expecting

Can anyone confirm you get money for going up?! If we got 4+mil last season for going up into the championship..why havn't we seen any of that money been spent?!

Possibly cause a high percentage of most the money we recieve from anything these days goes towards development or planning of the new ground.

I'm not sure how we would get a higher class of player to replace him. A higher class suggests to me a Championship or Premiership class player - I don't think any of those would drop to League 1 and even if they did would cost more than a couple of millon - unless it's a Goater type signing but then that isn't building for the future. For me I think I'd prefer Freddy to stay as I don't think we can replace him.

So you'd rather keep him for one year and have no cash available at the end of next season as he leaves on a free...because you feel we wouldn't be able to replace him? It's not about replacing one player, its about getting a working team. One player does not make a team. There are plenty of proven goal scorers about and the money we get from Fred can benefit getting them to come to us - surely? :fart:

Freddy is a Southend United legend he has been great for us. My plea to Tilly, Brush and Ron Martin is to hang onto him as long as possible. He has been a revalation for us. He is proven to score 20+ goals in league 1 so is a definate asset to us.

The only time I would say sell him is if someone were to offer £4 Million + which I think is a fair value seeing as Luke Varney went for £2 Million +.

Possibly cause a high percentage of most the money we recieve from anything these days goes towards development or planning of the new ground.

But even if we didn't get into the championship we were planning to have a new stadium, so it must have already had a funding source from somewhere?!?!?! :thump:

I thought I also read somewhere that getting into the Championship wasn't part of Ron Martins plans at the current time ????

:thump: :thump:

*I'm seriously confused at the minute!? :thump:

Well if you are right and its £5 million then I would say its worth the gamble of keeping a prolific , proven striker and getting back up there , unless someone offers much more for him than I am expecting

I agree with you, I'd much rather a proven stricker upfront and if by xmas we arn't near the top but he has scored 10-odd goals, then sell him by all means.

But whats more important to you getting the money from freddys transfer or getting championship status again, who knows if we went up, he might sign for an extra year??

:confused:

So you'd rather keep him for one year and have no cash available at the end of next season as he leaves on a free...because you feel we wouldn't be able to replace him? It's not about replacing one player, its about getting a working team. One player does not make a team. There are plenty of proven goal scorers about and the money we get from Fred can benefit getting them to come to us - surely? :fart:

Indeed - Fred was an outstanding asset and a major influence in our promotion from League 1 . Sell him and buy four Billy Paynters ? not sure it would have the desired effect

I think its a gamble either way. Are we assuming the club will spend all the proceeds from a potential sale? If not what will we get to replace him, considering inferior strikers like Varney are fetching 2 million we may still be left with taking a risk on an untried lower league striker.

I agree with you, I'd much rather a proven stricker upfront and if by xmas we arn't near the top but he has scored 10-odd goals, then sell him by all means.

But whats more important to you getting the money from freddys transfer or getting championship status again, who knows if we went up, he might sign for an extra year??

:confused:

I agree with all of that - you would think that the club could devise a contract that would give Fred a big incentive to do just that and persuade him and his agent to re-sign now

Back