• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Crawley Town 2-6 Southend Utd

McLaughlin had his best game for us this season by far. Cox put in a great effort considering he was suffering with man flu. Their fella Palmer could do a job for us, but would be difficult to prise him away cheaply now. Sadly in comparison, Robinson was woeful. We were a class above, but it took us to extra time to finally bury them.

First half I thought Crawley actually came out looking hungrier and wanted it more, but as it wore on we took complete control, superb cross from Bunn for the first, just needed any touch, thought it was Cox, but I see it's been given as an o.g.
Another good cross for the second, which saw a great save from Morris fall to Bunn to make it two.

Second half, what can you say! We made Ollie ****ing Palmer look like a professional footballer, about sums it up. Woeful, they get 1 back and yet again we went in to utter panic mode, even at 1-2 it looked like only one winner and it certainly wasn't us.
Still managed to carve out chances though, aided by two of the worst fullbacks I've seen play for a league team, Bunn and Macca had a field day, best players on the pitch. If Robinson wasn't our striker the game would not have reached 120 minutes, but then we wouldn't have scored 6.

Then who saw that extra time coming? Literally everything we did turned to goals. John White, whose technique is usually hoof into a corner or whack into a stand, scores a volley that Messi would have been proud of. The 6th from Macca was equally as superb.

Theo, what can we say. I like the guy, he's great to talk to, always has time and is fantastic with my son, but a centre forward of league quality he is not. It seems he needs 10 chances just to get one on target, let alone score.
I regaled Lord Football with a miss of his some may remember if you went to our 1-0 win at Huddersfield, in which Theo scored the winner from a penalty. Before this he had plucked a long ball from the sky, skinned a defender, taken it round the keeper, in at an empty goal- only to shank it wide.
As he missed and missed again tonight I turned and just said, still all better efforts than Huddersfield.
McCoulsky showed in his 10 odd minutes so much more than Theo did in his 110, he simply should not be starting games, sadly he shouldn't be anywhere near this squad.

Lord Football also told me the last time we scored 6 was home to Oxford circa 1994ish?, one of the few home games I missed that season. I never thought a freezing Tuesday night in Crawley 24 or so years later I would finally see us hit 6(SIX!)

Last edited:
First time I've seen us hit six in a competitive game in all my years and grounds. I was up at university on a pub crawl in Wolverhampton when Mooney scored that hat-trick against Oxford... Made the trip tonight and the long journey all worthwhile. A few hours sleep and back to work!

SOUTHEND United boss Chris Powell wants Stephen McLaughlin’s impressive display at Crawley Town to be a sign of things to come.

More...

yes and no. Longer term, Bradford and Hartlepool is what happens when you do £100 or £150 season tickets. Bradford's budget is shrinking year on year as the crowds get bored and shrink. You can imagine what they would then think if they had to hike the prices back up to league averages... Hartlepool tried that model too and it nearly put them out of business. It was only taking 4 match day tickets cost to make it worth getting a season ticket and then there was hardly any week to week revenue. since then, their crowds have dropped off and they are now in the conference.

Agreed, Eddy.

I wasn't talking over a season. Of course, it wouldn't work at RH as, to reduce prices by 50% you would have to double the crowd and we haven't got the capacity to do that.

However, for cup matches or just the odd one-off game then it definitely works. As it does when we do 'kids for a quid'.

Don't forget, when you increase crowds you increase ancillary purchases and the potential for those people to come back more regularly.

There's also the "Feel good factor" involved; why are so many things priced at (say) £9.99 instead of £10.01? Only 2p difference but with one you get change from a tenner but the other needs a tenner plus a tad more. In the mind, it seems a lot less but, in reality, we all know it isn't.

Following on from this, if we made the Barnsley match say £5 to get in (free for children) and a voucher for a 3rd Round ticket, I bet we'd get more than 3,000 for the match! .. Might create a good atmosphere as well.

Maybe more Barnsley fans would travel, additionally.

SOUTHEND United boss Chris Powell wants Stephen McLaughlin’s impressive display at Crawley Town to be a sign of things to come.

More...

There were a few amusing things last night including the usual ridiculous decisions from officials, Hyams yellow for a perfectly good tackle. A Crawley player slipping on the wet grass with no Southend player within contact distance and getting a free-kick. But the one most probably missed was McLaughlin trudging 50yds, head down and disappointed about being subbed in the second half......Only to realise the number 11 on the board was for Crawley's number 11.,

Isn't there a minimum price for FA Cup games? I'm sure this has done the rounds before.

Anyone know if those away supporters figures are correct? I was told we had sold around 350 tickets yesterday morning.

There was over 100 in the seats and certainly more than 200 behind the goal

Agreed, Eddy.

I wasn't talking over a season. Of course, it wouldn't work at RH as, to reduce prices by 50% you would have to double the crowd and we haven't got the capacity to do that.

However, for cup matches or just the odd one-off game then it definitely works. As it does when we do 'kids for a quid'.

Don't forget, when you increase crowds you increase ancillary purchases and the potential for those people to come back more regularly.

the FA set a maximum of games you can do special deals on. Some clubs set these at the start of the season.

What's a special deal described as?

For example, we reduced to £15 in the home tie.

The deal thing is for league matches only, I believe.

Last edited:
This is quite interesting, from the official FA Rules & Regs for this season's FA Cup, which agrees with MK's point earlier :-

(ii) Competition Proper

Immediately after the draw is known, the Club playing at home shall decide on the prices of admission, subject to a minimum price of £10.00 for all spectators other than concessions. The away Club’s spectators can only be charged more than the home Club’s spectators if mutually agreed by both Clubs.

Last edited:
Poor old Theo. One of those players I desperately want to see do well as he's clearly a top bloke. Also, his movement is very good, he causes problems and he gets in great positions. If only he could finish.

Obviously a bit low on confidence at the moment, we have to keep backing him, it's him, McCoulsky and (thankfully) Coxy until January - there's nothing we can do about that and he's going to be playing plenty more games until then.

With Theo, for me, he needs to be played and given a regular confidence boost and see if after 5 or 6 starts he regains the mojo he had towards the end of last season. At present he is over thinking, trying, NOT playing instinctly and he is stressing about it too much; however he knows all this and is putting in the miles with runs and working back.
I have never thought he was a great finisher but he can worry and work a defence which can be good for the team and strike partner(s).
We need a team of crafters as, imo, we haven't got the creativity from most to be a " pass them off the park" side.

Robinson does create space for others, very useful for the likes of Cox and Bunn. The majority of fans don't see this though, they just see the poor misses. He's having a hard time but to be fair to him he never hides. He does need to keep putting in the hard yards. Once one goes in, more will follow.

Back