• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

So the view of Paul Clarke is just 'worthless gossip'?

Jam is always honest when he's relaying what Clarke et al may have said on Blues Player/BBC Essex etc.

Not sure why you've got such a bee in your bonnet about it. Personally I'd take the view of Paul Clarke over anyone on here

I don't think anyone has a problem with opinion on here about whether he had a good game or not. The problem is the utterly disgraceful and embarrassing behaviour of a small number of 'fans' who on match day rather than encourage and support choose to abuse the player and demand he be substituted. This clearly does not enhance anyones performance and are not the actions of anyone who actually wants us to win the game.

The trouble is I worry that the above behaviour starts with the process of selecting the months or the seasons victim to bully and criticise and it in some way follows through to the abuse at games (of course in a way that assumes that the guilty parties look at or contribute to SZ which may very well not be so). Probably the abusers are West Ham or Colchester fans who have a driving ban/can't afford to travel etc. etc.

Still the lowest scorers in the top 12 I think. Great to win the games, but must be more clinical. Still too much squeaky bum time!

Guess who's the second lowest scorers in the top 12......Burton Albion. I'll take some bum squeaking if means being top of the league!!

All I mean by that is that we also have then going best against record outside the top 3, so not so much squeaky bum time but also maybe a little faith that we are again hard to break down

Absolutely agree mate, i wasn't being critical, just that if we could just be that bit more clinical in the scoring dept these games would finish in a more comfortable fashion.

Listened to on BBC ESSEX, a good win. Away form this season is fantastic.

Hope it lay to rest all the Piggott knockers.

As PB stated after the game he is young and still learning

PB was proved right with his selections l night

Assume he will keep the same line up Sat (why change a winning team)

Guess who's the second lowest scorers in the top 12......Burton Albion. I'll take some bum squeaking if means being top of the league!!

Yep fair comment. Would be nice to smash someone 4-0 on the odd occasion though

He didn't have the best of games on Saturday but then for the 1st 20 minutes nor did anyone & others escaped the wrath of the BooBoys.
I presume you didn't go to the game so your knowledge is AGAIN just from sitting in your parlour listening to the wireless & again worthless gossip.
Is the "honest appraisal" yours or something you heard?

Oh dear me.

First of all you presume wrong, the appraisal in question was that of Pigott on Saturday, a game I was at.

Secondly the point I made was that not only did I think he was poor but the commentators made a point of mentioning it last night as well, just to back up what many of us who were at the game on Saturday thought (Edit: Which Chris Phillips and Phil Brown both again mention in todays echo).

I have made no comment on his performance on last nights game which I listened to on the radio.

Nice rant though.

*PEDANT ALERT*

Paul Clark. No 'e'.

Terribly sorry to be a picky ******* before 9am on a school day, but he is an all-time Southend great.

Just to be even more picky it wasnt Clark, it was Penyfatheer.

Last edited:
You are in the minority on that one. Even commentators last night were saying how poor he was Saturday.

That's not just bashing Pigott, it just an honest appraisal.

Some were saying he doesn't try and doesn't want to be here and I wouldn't agree with that, he was trying but it wasn't happening for him.

Last night even before he scored the consensus wad he was playing far better.

I didn't say it was excellent on Saturday, just making the point he wasn't a bad as a lot of people were making out.

Agree with you about the work rate and I can't understand why others have slated him for that, as there was no lack of effort on Saturday, things just weren't always going for him, for whatever reason

Piggot was really poor on Saturday. Anyone who knows anything about football knows that. Then again, I'd struggle to do my job if people kept yelling abuse at me.

Piggot was much, much better yesterday. Scored two, hit the bar, got stuck in....... (in fact you couldn't have asked more from the bloke). Didn't cop any stick from the 240 of us up there last night, as we all got behind the 11 in blue. At the end you see they how they appreciated that.

I don't think its a co-incident that our home form is that of a relegation team whereas away we play like League Champions.

3 good wins on the bounce now, a big well done to those who made the trip last night and I would imagine the support will go up a notch for Saturdays game at Burton as well.....

I didn't say it was excellent on Saturday, just making the point he wasn't a bad as a lot of people were making out.

Agree with you about the work rate and I can't understand why others have slated him for that, as there was no lack of effort on Saturday, things just weren't always going for him, for whatever reason

I think people jump on him more than others because of his body language and also because of that news article. So when another player plays poorly they dont get the same attention.

That said, in my opinion he was poor on Saturday , most seem to think so including commentators, Chris Phillips and even Phil Brown in todays echo.

Whilst abusing him is ridiculous there's nothing wrong with pointing out he had a bad game, but if you were happy with his performance thats an opinion you are entitled to. I personally want to see more from him than that and he delivered the goods last night and hopefully it will give him a boost and keep the boo boys at bay.

Tut tut, such poor grammar!
How many commentators were there? or is this Penyfatheer in addition to Glen Pennyfather?
If you make no comment then there would be.........................

Woosh......

I replied to a comment about incorrect spelling so spelt the name incorrectly as a comedic comment.

In your opinion he was very below par - a few of us, me included, felt he did well on Saturday and came in for some extremely unfair criticism

I gave the pig heaven criticism (IMO justifiably) following Scunthorpe, the one thing I will apologise for is suggesting we ship him straight back to Charlton, I admit that was premature and I'm chuffed that he came good yesterday, long may it continue. :pig:

I'm still bemused at how you and a few others actually thought he played well against Scunthorpe though, I'd dread to see a player you considered to have a poor performance. I will continue to give players criticism on the ratings thread if I feel it is justified, IMO why bother giving an opinion at all if it MUST always be positive, praise is meaningless unless it is balanced with (justified) criticism.

I didnt think Piggott played well Saturday, neither did i at Millwall. However, i think it was wrong to criticize his effort and work rate. On both occasions i believe he worked hard, things just didnt come off for him. He isnt a player blessed with electric pace, i dont think he will ever be described as all action. What he does need to work on is his hold up play in particular. The lad is still very young and probably hurt by the fact that Charlton no longer wanted him. What we need to do is support him through the tough times and hope that his goals yesterday give him the confidence that has clearly been lacking recently. Both goals last night in the end were well taken, the second a poachers goal. They should and will boost him hopefully.

FEED THE :pig:!

just seen the highlights on youtube and 2 things why does brown look so miserable both times we took the lead?
and was Mooney offside? looks close from the clips!

I thought it well out of order last night during the first half someone Tweeted Pigott saying Get out of my ******* team, i think just after he hit the bar. That really is not what is needed from a so called supporter.
Although later on he tweeted how "we will never win anything while Ivanovic is in the team" so obviously not a dedicated fan.I just despair of some people.

Pretty sure twitter has absolutely no credibility. Noone pays attention to trolls. I am a Pigott critic and whether or not he can perform to an adequate level consistently for us at this level remains to be seen. Last night is a start, a step in the right direction and hopefully for us and him it can kickstart his season.

Why doesn't the ref just book Deegan in the tunnel before the start of every match? He picks up a yellow every game! How many for a suspension?

Why doesn't the ref just book Deegan in the tunnel before the start of every match? He picks up a yellow every game! How many for a suspension?

That's the fault of football, not the fault of Deegan. Tackling is not allowed.
Dave Martin and Peter Butler would think he's powderpuff.

Back