• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Dan Mooney Signs

This signing reminds me very much of when we signed Brett Angell from Stockport back in 1990. He had just finished the previous season as Division 4 top scorer (28 goals) and most predicted Angell would move to a club in Division 2. We somehow jumped the queue (we'd just been promoted into Division three) and snapped him up for a modest £100k. Dave Webb sold the club to Brett and convinced him that this was the place at which he could continue his upward trajectory.

Mooney is a fantastic signing....a real statement as many have said. He will undoubtedly provide not only goals and assists, but that extra quality in the final third that we've been missing.

Next up....Louie Lomas please!
I believe he could provide the club with a little windfall further down the line if we manage to pull that signing off.

This signing reminds me very much of when we signed Brett Angell from Stockport back in 1990. He had just finished the previous season as Division 4 top scorer (28 goals) and most predicted Angell would move to a club in Division 2. We somehow jumped the queue (we'd just been promoted into Division three) and snapped him up for a modest £100k. Dave Webb sold the club to Brett and convinced him that this was the place at which he could continue his upward trajectory.

Mooney is a fantastic signing....a real statement as many have said. He will undoubtedly provide not only goals and assists, but that extra quality in the final third that we've been missing.

I believe he could provide the club with a little windfall further down the line if we manage to pull that signing off.
Think Lomas has had his medical so could be announced tomorrow

Another quick look at Altringham's board shows that some there believe it was all the fault of Stan turning his head. Well fancy that!
I have no doubts he serenaded him into signing.

View from an Altrincham fan:

"Big blow for us,.. I would like to say he's crap,.. but he's not, very unorthodox, no right foot but plays right wing, don't expect many crosses,... ! but you need to know how to get the best out of him or he can be anonymous. Suffered a lot of hamstring injuries in his first year or so. We all wish him well as he's been very well liked and respected at Alty. Thankfully we will get big compensation for him being 22 and won player of year and NL young player so thanks for the dosh Southend which will be spent wisely on another gem I expect.."

"Big blow for us,.. I would like to say he's crap,.. but he's not, very unorthodox, no right foot but plays right wing, don't expect many crosses,... ! but you need to know how to get the best out of him or he can be anonymous. Suffered a lot of hamstring injuries in his first year or so. We all wish him well as he's been very well liked and respected at Alty. Thankfully we will get big compensation for him being 22 and won player of year and NL young player so thanks for the dosh Southend which will be spent wisely on another gem I expect.."
They'll be lucky to get £25k for him. They can keep dreaming though.

They'll be lucky to get £25k for him. They can keep dreaming though.
That is big money for Southend.

Big compensation…. :ROFL:

Another quick look at Altringham's board shows that some there believe it was all the fault of Stan turning his head. Well fancy that!
I've looked at there fans forum and cant see anything about mooney leaving??

I’ve got to say, I find it hilarious how many of them view this as a “sideways move”. I’m not one who usually gets involved in the whole “my club is bigger than yours” but Christ, we’re a much bigger club than them.

Of course we’re much bigger, but if we had just finished mid table in league one and Sunderland finished one place above us then took our best player, I’m sure some of the same comments about it being a sideways move would pop up on here.

On current footballing merit it’s a sideways move, naturally we have more potential to improve in the next few seasons than they do due to the setup at the club, but football is played on the pitch.

I’m not surprised by their comments at all, it’s ours that show the misplaced ego.

Back